ModSync Ninja - Mod update manager!

Started by historic_os, July 16, 2017, 04:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on December 06, 2017, 11:10:20 PM
Hey Marvin,

I thought about you while thinking about modders who might be interested in this system, I think you could make it so users will be redirected to your website I suppose?

Was wondering about modders like you or WalkingProblems who have their own website and if they can be interested in a system like that

It would be nice at some point in the future. Right now, I have an e-mail newsletter you can sign up for that I send out whenever a mod updates. It reaches exactly one brave soul. ;)

Nightinggale

Quote from: MarvinKosh on December 08, 2017, 12:06:58 PMRight now, I have an e-mail newsletter you can sign up for that I send out whenever a mod updates. It reaches exactly one brave soul. ;)
So you signed up for your own newsletter, eh  :P
I suspect the issue with your approach is that the majority missed the fact that there is a newsletter. I know I was completely unaware of it.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

RemingtonRyder

Yeah. There is that. But then I imagine that a lot of the time people download mods but don't look around once they've got the goods. Still, it wouldn't hurt to mention it in the one mod release topic that I have.

Actually no. It's someone who prefers direct downloads of mods.

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Kiame

The ModSync.ninja RimWorld Client is now up on github.

Translators are welcome and much appreciated!

https://github.com/KiameV/rimworld-modsyncninja-client

-The Languages folder is under ModFolderContents

larSyn

My new mod RimTweaks added ModSync Ninja support.  Don't know if you guys are keeping a list or not, but I figured I would inform you of it.  Thanks for the work on ModSync! It's pretty awesome.  :) 

Nightinggale

Quote from: larSyn on January 22, 2018, 11:28:14 AMDon't know if you guys are keeping a list or not
http://www.modsync.ninja/mods
However for some reason that link is not mentioned in this thread  ??? The list is autogenerated meaning when you add or update something, the list updates without anybody else doing anything.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

larSyn

Quote from: Nightinggale on January 22, 2018, 11:33:19 AM
http://www.modsync.ninja/mods
However for some reason that link is not mentioned in this thread  ??? The list is autogenerated meaning when you add or update something, the list updates without anybody else doing anything.

Thanks, Nightinggale!  Good to see you back on.  Now, can anyone tell me how to get a preview image up for my mods?  They seem to be some of the only ones lacking an image.

Edit:  Now the list page keeps 404ing...

Nightinggale

Quote from: larSyn on January 22, 2018, 02:02:49 PMThanks, Nightinggale!  Good to see you back on.
Heh, I never left. It's just that despite reading the forum, nobody wrote anything I wanted to comment on and I haven't released anything because I have been working on the issue of how to prevent problems if somebody loads two versions of ModCheck, which turned out to be a rather difficult problem to solve both in theory and then bring the theory into working code.

Quote from: larSyn on January 22, 2018, 02:02:49 PMNow, can anyone tell me how to get a preview image up for my mods?  They seem to be some of the only ones lacking an image.

Edit:  Now the list page keeps 404ing...
When updating using the ingame update button, it should copy preview.png as well as the description. It is also possible to write entries to the changelog when updating from within the game, all with fair easy to use and understand UI. I can't say anything about your 404 issue though as I never experienced that myself. It might require server admin access to figure out what goes on there.

larSyn

Quote from: Nightinggale on January 22, 2018, 03:57:44 PM
Heh, I never left. It's just that despite reading the forum, nobody wrote anything I wanted to comment on and I haven't released anything because I have been working on the issue of how to prevent problems if somebody loads two versions of ModCheck, which turned out to be a rather difficult problem to solve both in theory and then bring the theory into working code.

Nice.  Sounds like you got it figured out. 

Quote from: Nightinggale on January 22, 2018, 03:57:44 PMWhen updating using the ingame update button, it should copy preview.png as well as the description. It is also possible to write entries to the changelog when updating from within the game, all with fair easy to use and understand UI. I can't say anything about your 404 issue though as I never experienced that myself. It might require server admin access to figure out what goes on there.

That explains it.  I've never updated through the menu in game.  Will have to do that next time I update.  The 404 seems to be intermittent for me.  I got back on shortly after I posted that.

wwWraith

Hmm... how to actually use this thing? ;D

I've registered my mod, created ModSync.xml, etc., the mod is added in the database. But how should I update it? I tried to drag new ModSync.xml (with the version number changed for testing purpose) on the site as it was suggested, but only got an error "No stylesheet is associated with this XML file. The following is a tree of elements. ..." (probably not exact words, I had to translate it from my language). I tried to register an account ("Modders sign in"), but got an error "Could not find mods matching the mod key provided linked to this forum account." (I tried with that mod's ModSync ID, name and folder name). How should I add these nice tags as [B18], changelogs with "Bug fix", "Feature", etc., preview image (though actually I don't have it atm :) ) like in some other mods when browsing the database? Reading the previous posts I thought that there is a way to do it when I'm updating my mod using the ingame interface rather than website (though it looked very strange for me). But there was only that same "Update" button that just redirected me to that mod thread, nothing related to uploading...

Also a little suggestion: I think it'd be nice to make that ingame ModSync list sortable at least by mod name, status (updated or not) and the date of the last registered update.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Brrainz

I get the following error when I try to sync my github repo from the modsync homepage:

Also: the overall flow on the site is a bit "weird"...
/Andreas

Kiame

Just a heads up to everyone. historic_os will be letting the hosting expire as he's no longer modding for RW. Also I am not currently planning to pick up the costs to run the site.

In the end this mod will be closed in the relatively near future.

Thanks all for your interest and support.

Nightinggale

This is what I feared when this mod started and is the main reason why a mod update feature should be part of vanilla. Regardless of intensions, modders are working just as a hobby and will have a hard time being reliable enough for important features like this one.