ModSync Ninja - Mod update manager!

Started by historic_os, July 16, 2017, 04:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

historic_os

ModSync Ninja
Automatic updates for your mods!

Sick of players complaining about bugs that has been fixed 2 versions ago?
Hate it when they miss an amazing feature you spent hours developing?

What's that?
ModSync Ninja is a client-server service that allows modders to push updates to their mods.
Players then can view the list of mods they use and get update notifications and update links in game.

Tell me more \ How do I add my mod?
Check out the website! You can upload your mod there, update it, and check the full FAQ.
http://modsync.ninja

Notes when adding a mod:

• Provide correct mod folder name(the name of  the folder in the player's mod folder) its the only unique indication for a mod
  • Keep your Secret key, you'll need it to post updates.

The project has been revived!
Kiame has joined us! together, we have decided to give the project another go.
We've acquired a new host for the server and API (with a much wider time frame) and really hope you decide to join in!

Aside from the project being back up, here's what we have in plan for the near future:

• Better UI for the in game mod
  • Easier ways to update mods such as automatic build \ commit scripts that update the mod version on mod sync
  • Deliver better update notifications to users by giving the modders the ability to set update content type and priority. Bug fixes,
    Feature, Translation and more.
  • Better update notifications by allowing patch notes
  • More, and open for suggestions!

Sources
Client - https://github.com/KiameV/rimworld-modsyncninja-client
API Library - https://github.com/modsyncninja/rimworld-modsyncninja-apibridge

Whos already in? Check the list of registered mods here!
http://www.modsync.ninja/mods

Sixdd

Definitely using this, I'm actually in the process of setting up my mods on the site right now.

Nightinggale

I think the problem with this mod is not the mod, but rather that people rely on steam. I tried releasing ModCheck on the forum and I got 5 unique people loading the download page in 8 days (including myself). I put it on steam and it resulted in 21 subscribers in 12 hours (not including myself).

I would prefer using a non-steam mod version control like this one because steam has a bunch of drawbacks. However it seems that steam is a magic word to the majority of users and not relying on steam will never get popular. Maybe this can be possible if it was part of vanilla, but I'm not sure. People seem to demand steam workshop even for games where it makes no sense. It's like a buzzword.

Btw didn't this thread have two pages of replies already?  :o
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

GrimTrigger

historic_os

We are back :) with Kiame!
main post updated with details

To all modders who took part in the first iteration of the project
First of all, thank you. thanks for going way and beyond figuring out a new system and taking a part.
I'd like to apologize for taking this project down on you after only two months. The hosting went down, it was expensive and the low adoption made it hard to renew.
We have got a more reasonable hosting now, this shouldn't happen again any time soon.

Since it was A17 when the mod went down and some mods have already removed ModSync.xml file (/ probably forgot passwords), we are starting fresh.
I hope you choose to add your mods again!

Quote from: Nightinggale on November 09, 2017, 08:48:38 AM
Btw didn't this thread have two pages of replies already?  :o
The release forum post is the one with multiple pages. this one is for the tool for modders, other one is for the mod itself

kaptain_kavern

Will gladly re-register all my mods :p

Thank you gals/guys

kaptain_kavern

Here is a French translation of the mod's menu.

... In attachment ...

French folder is to be placed in Rimworld_ModSyncNinja\Languages\

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Kiame

Posting here to get it on my watch list  ;D

Nightinggale

Quote from: Kiame on December 06, 2017, 02:18:34 AM
Posting here to get it on my watch list  ;D
You know there is a notify button between "Reply" and "Mark unread", right? Well now it changed to "unnotify". There is no need to actually post in a thread to get notifications. The popup confirmation window will not win any prices for being well written through.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Kiame

SpaceDorf

The notify gives you e-mail spam though.

Having posted just lets you use the "show new replies" button ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

RemingtonRyder

You only get notified once, until you actually check the topic. It says so in the e-mail. It's kinda up to you to decide which topics are worth checking out when you get a notification, or even which ones you want to be notified about.

kaptain_kavern

Hey Marvin,

I thought about you while thinking about modders who might be interested in this system, I think you could make it so users will be redirected to your website I suppose?

Was wondering about modders like you or WalkingProblems who have their own website and if they can be interested in a system like that

larSyn

I added Smokeleaf Industry to Mod Sync.  Hope I did it all right.  ::)  Awesome tool!

Kiame

Thanks IarSyn
We're in the process of making the posting and updating of mods easier and more understandable.