[B18][Mod Updater] ModSync Ninja

Started by historic_os, July 16, 2017, 06:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

Try to look at the updater for hardcore-SK modpack, so far i understand it update from github.

historic_os

GitHub mods can now link the ModSync.xml in their repo and updates will be pushed automatically.
Sync your mod with GitHub in the site update section (once) and whenever the version changes in the file (after a commit)  - an update will be added to the database.

Kubouch

This looks good, I'll try it out when I have some more time. Keep it up! I think this needs to be around for some time so people start noticing it.

Plus yay for the GitHub support (pity that I use GitLab)! :-D

Sixdd

It's a real shame this didn't last any longer than it did, guess the only option left is steam workshop *shudder*

eskoONE

Quote from: Sixdd on September 04, 2017, 08:26:48 AM
It's a real shame this didn't last any longer than it did, guess the only option left is steam workshop *shudder*

its a real shame yea. but i guess steam workshop is more convenient for most of the users. i highly dislike the workshop and wanted this to be successful. this is also one of the features that should be merged with hugslib imo. maybe another day.

ty for your effort op!

Canute

It never will work on a freely base.
The steam workshop got some rules, but on the forum any modder cook his own soup.
Unless tynan start or support a non-steam modupdater it never will work.

I tryed to asked serveral modder to support modsync, but serveral refuseed it other said they got a better idea in progress.

eskoONE

Quote from: Canute on September 04, 2017, 09:00:44 AM
It never will work on a freely base.
The steam workshop got some rules, but on the forum any modder cook his own soup.
Unless tynan start or support a non-steam modupdater it never will work.

I tryed to asked serveral modder to support modsync, but serveral refuseed it other said they got a better idea in progress.

the modding community seems to be working well together, when someone brings them together. i believe ccl did that very well, so does hugslib now. we just rly need someone to adapt this mod and set some guidelines with it. i was also dreaming of a feature which determines incompatibilities in advance and suggest patches to go with it.

oh well, like i said before, maybe one day.

id be interested in knowing the ppl who told you that they have their own ideas around this topic.

kaptain_kavern

Thanks for having tried OP. I tried to use and speak about it.

Thank you again and farewell :p

faltonico

Most modders are stubborn (some are just plain assholes... but you'll never see me saying that to them), you should have been patient, and just keep pushing it, adoption wouldn't happen in less than an alpha.
Hopefully you'll find a way to convince them in the future that this is a very useful quality of life addition to non steam users, and more importantly and option that they don't have to maintain other than the correct version of their mods.

Apposl

Quote from: faltonico on September 04, 2017, 10:06:36 AM
Most modders are stubborn (some are just plain assholes... but you'll never see me saying that to them), you should have been patient, and just keep pushing it, adoption wouldn't happen in less than an alpha.
Hopefully you'll find a way to convince them in the future that this is a very useful quality of life addition to non steam users, and more importantly and option that they don't have to maintain other than the correct version of their mods.

Agreed, I was disappointed to see the discontinued tag on this. I don't know how long it has actually been available, and the OP obviously knows best what his/her goals were...but as a marketing/business guy irl, this seems like it was thrown under the bus and quit on way too quick. We've all heard Rome wasn't built in a day. Looks like this was only released about a month ago?

Well, thanks for the attempt, OP. Really cool and useful mod for all of us who don't use Steam. I totally get not being able to commit time to an unpaid project when real life/other priorities DO exist. I look forward to your next creation!

Chicken Plucker

Hello author, as somebody who has been painfully running around updating all my mods and having to use Modsync ninja over and over, it is very sad indeed to see this mod with such a potential go. It's always for the sake of convenience for others that these tools are made, and hopefully something like this comes up again if you stick to your decision.

Take care always

Kiame

historic_os

Any chance you could put your code out on github? I want to mess with a few ideas and your initial work looks like a great starting place.

PreDiabetic

What's going on here? New page full of B18 Mod Sync editions mods. Ninja is revived or faked his death?

Kiame