[B18][Mod Updater] ModSync Ninja

Started by historic_os, July 16, 2017, 06:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

historic_os

Back!

Update - Version 1.1.0.1
- Added a Kiame!
- You can also see list of registered mods here!

Nightinggale

It's so wonderful to have this feature back. I really missed it  :)

I'm going to add ModCheck soon (like within 48 hours). However before I do that, I would like to add the check isModSyncVersion to allow one mod to check if another mod is at least of a certain version. It seems obvious to add for completeness and it will be one step in the direction that ModSync.xml can be used in general as mod version.

To do this the easy way, can I get your permission to copy FileUtil to ModCheck?
It would be a timesaver to use known good code and I will add credits to you in comments.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

kaptain_kavern

Starting to add mines.

DESurgeries and As Simple As Rack are already "Ninja Sync'ed"

JerryBi

Suggestion:

A mod has some special XML file in it's "about" folder other mod can read it?
If yes, then point of "adding" mods using some special page looking strange for me.
This tool can check every installed mods looking for a specific file and checking stated in that file URL for updates from an external source.

Such scenario eliminates most of the security issues as Player need to download any mod at least once by himself - here player will be one that will verify mod (archive \ files \ source \ author).

And point to have such tool is to have a possibility to get updates in one click.
You open mod from the main menu, get a list of updated mods, maybe openable spoiler with release notes and button "update".
If afterwards you need to open a browser, download file to a needed location, unarchive it... is it so much useful?
In case update can be execute by this tool - it is GOLD tool :)

historic_os

@masaykh
Yes, the ModSync xml file is placed inside the mod folder and any mod can use it to read other mod's version.
however, mods are protected behind a combination of said file and a "mod key" (password) they provide on registration.
which means, having the ModSync xml alone is not enough to make any changes to the mod and release updates.

Regarding automatic updates \ download of mod updates from within the game - it is the ultimate goal and we do plan on adding it. but before we do this, there are some required features to be added:
1. Patch notes, visualization of patch content (such as new feature, bug fix, translation) needs to be added
2. A better way to credit the author - we don't want people to download a mod and forget about the original mod author. mod author should be able to determine if he wants to support direct download of mods and author name should be added to the list of mods.
3. Some time and a bigger user base - this mod is still fairly new, I myself wouldn't trust a mod i don't know with downloading files to my computer and i don't expect people to do so as well.

Direct update, in general, is a very sensitive topic. as modders should be able to determine how they would like to distribute their content. once more modders add mods, we will start taking input on how they think downloads should be provided in a way that will still respect their work.

@kaptain_kavern, lol i like "ninja sync'ed" :)

MisterVertigo

Would it be possible to add disabled mods to the list, via an option? Right now I have a mod downloaded but it doesn't work correctly. I'm hoping when the author updates it that it will work again. For right now I have it disabled. It would be cool if it showed up on the ModSync list so I would see when it updated and then I could try it again. Just a thought.
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

dburgdorf

Congrats on the resurrection!

Now that it's been pointed out to me that ModNinja is back, I'll plan to add my mods to it this evening, when I get home from work.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Nightinggale

Quote from: MisterVertigo on December 04, 2017, 08:39:55 AM
Would it be possible to add disabled mods to the list, via an option? Right now I have a mod downloaded but it doesn't work correctly. I'm hoping when the author updates it that it will work again. For right now I have it disabled. It would be cool if it showed up on the ModSync list so I would see when it updated and then I could try it again. Just a thought.
Maybe it would be a good idea to make the server compile a xml file of the newest version of each mod. Whenever a client wants to know the newest version of one or more mods, it will be a question of downloading a static file, not a database lookup.

The result would be less CPU load on the server and the client would be able to check all mods, not just enabled ones without causing a lot more network traffic.

Speaking of feature requests, find a solution to the problem mods on steam suffers from whenever a new version of RimWorld comes out. Figure out a way to inform the client that the current mods are for 0.18 and somehow add support for allowing 0.19 versions of the same mods to coexist, meaning when upgrading to 0.19, ModSync will figure out how to help upgrading the 0.18 mods while at the same time it won't affect people sticking to 0.18 a while longer. The 0.18 unstable phase was a real pain.

Quote from: historic_os on December 04, 2017, 07:40:28 AM3. Some time and a bigger user base - this mod is still fairly new, I myself wouldn't trust a mod i don't know with downloading files to my computer and i don't expect people to do so as well.
Well at least you have provided the source code (sort of, a GitHub repository would be nice), but this is useless unless you read it and understand it. It looks like it's the kind of code, which requires background knowledge to understand.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

jom650

Just An Question, Will You Add More Mods To Be Updated?

Welcome Back :D

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: jom650 on December 04, 2017, 10:40:17 AM

I believe it is up to Modders to add their mod to this system. So you will have to talk to the author of your favorite mods and see if they will put their mods into this system.

Kiame

Quote from: jom650 on December 04, 2017, 10:40:17 AM

It's up to each mod author to upload their mods.

To everyone: Please ask mod authors to support ModSync.ninja. This project's success is up to everyone's support.

Kiame

Quote from: MisterVertigo on December 04, 2017, 08:39:55 AM

Good suggestion. We're considering disabled mods could be at the bottom of the list w/ grey text to help distinguish the enabled/disabled mods. I'll see if it's clear visually. If it isn't maybe add a Mod Setting to show/hide disabled mods.

For developers I'd like to make updating mods as easy as possible. I'm thinking a button in game - probably above the "Update Mod on Steam" in the Mods page - adding a button which is "Update Mod on ModSync.ninja". When pressed a text field will ask for the security text. If correct it'll update the version.

frenchiveruti

And all this started because I was bitching about the versioning Kiame used in the mods lol.

I'm so glad this tool is back.

Nightinggale

Quote from: frenchiveruti on December 04, 2017, 10:35:22 PMAnd all this started because I was bitching about the versioning Kiame used in the mods lol.
Sometimes a grumpy old man is what is needed, regardless of his age or gender. In fact since it turned out this great, keep doing it  :P