[B18][Mod Updater] ModSync Ninja

Started by historic_os, July 16, 2017, 06:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiame

I would agree that spamming modders is not a good idea. I do think posting at least once on a mod thread is acceptable to inform them. From that point it's up to them.

SpaceDorf

Just keep bumping the ModSync Ninja thread so everybody can see it in the release forum  ;D
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Roolo

This is starting to look really promising. I'll definitely start using it when the update to ModSync button on Steam is added.

Jaxxa

Yeah, Pestering mod developers is not the right way to get people to do something, but I would think that one nicely worded post in the thread informing of the options and advantages would not be a problem.

Nightinggale

Quote from: Kiame on December 14, 2017, 12:09:41 AM

• Right: Read from the mod's dll. If no dll this button will not show up (shared dlls like 0Harmony.dll are ignored)
How about making ModSync aware of what the newest version of such dlls are. That way it will be able to make an alert if the dll should be updated. If it has a memory of which mods you uploaded, then it can check those mods for outdated shared dll files when it does the normal outdated mod checks. That will help detecting outdated versions of Harmony, ModCheck etc.

Quote from: Canute on December 14, 2017, 02:04:29 AMBetter don't spam any modder, or force him to use modsync.
Just in case somebody missed it: it was a joke. I'm not seriously considering causing mods to throw warnings or errors if they aren't supporting a specific feature. Maybe as a standalone tool to monitor how widespread support is, but not included in an existing tool.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

dburgdorf

Not sure what's up, but I just got an "invalid XML" error when I tried to update my "Configurable Maps" mod by dropping the ModSync.xml file into the ModSync Web site. And no, there's nothing actually wrong with the XML. ;)
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

historic_os

Hey, yeah nothing wrong with the XML, our host database server crashed.
called them already still waiting for someone to lift up the power button... hopefully soon. sorry for that

frenchiveruti

Quote from: historic_os on December 15, 2017, 10:53:17 PM
Hey, yeah nothing wrong with the XML, our host database server crashed.
called them already still waiting for someone to lift up the power button... hopefully soon. sorry for that
So I guess the error also is on the game updated in the game client.

Kiame

Yes currently our host has dropped the ball. We are considering other options too if this continues.

Sorry for the inconvenience

dburgdorf

No worries. We all know shit happens. ;)
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

frenchiveruti

Canute

When nothing goes wrong, there is no idea to made it better.
I think the client need to do an server-online check, and don't give just a xml-error.

bigheadzach

Does the Direct link point to 1.1.1.0 yet?

historic_os

The new update it live. sorry for the long delay!
After a day of database issues with the host, we've decided to ditch them and move to a new one. Migration but we are finally back!

Users
Features
- Mods website updated, explore mods at http://www.modsync.ninja/mods
- Mod update via client allows easy updates and adds new mod information such as game version,
- Other modder focused updates
Translations
- Spanish frenchiveruti
- French kaptain-kavern
Thanks!

Modders
We have taken all feedback into consideration and focused this update on ease of use. while we are far from done improving it, we think its a good step at the right direction.

Author site login
Mod authors with at least one mod in the system now able to link their forum account and log in to the website (no forum password required obviously, it is based on your previous verification).
They can then become Trusted authors.

Note: User name have to match forum name, case sensitive as well. option to change display name will be added soon.

Trusted authors
Authors with a real mod (verified manually by us) in ModSync will become trusted.
Trusted authors:
- No longer require to verify any new mods they are adding
- Has a "master" mod key they can use instead of a mod secret for any mod they own
- Can modify mod data such as name and link (and are not restricted to a forum link)
- Can replace mod secret if needed
- Can remove mods by themselves in case of an error

In game client mod update
This is the feature we are most excited about!

If you have the latest version of the ModSync Ninja client, you'll have a new button in the Mods menu, right where you push updates to steam.
The new Update at ModSync.ninja button will let you push updates to the server without going to the website.

Note: If updating the mod to a new version, the update button will also update your ModSync.xml file. you should update on modsync before updating on steam\download link so your users will get the new ModSync.xml file.

This update process also comes with a set of improvements:
1. Mod's game version will be stored and presented to the user.
2. Mod's languages will be stored and used as filter tags.
3. Steam image will be added to the mod page on the website.
4. Dependency libraries will be added(fetched from workshop)

What if i don't need to update my mod / i use GitHub auto update?
You can (and should) use the client to push an "empty" update using the same version number your mod is currently in.
It will trigger the server to fetch your mod informatio such as language and version tags, image, dependencies and you can add patch notes if you want.

GitHub mods - you can push the empty update described above at the client, having these features added directly to the GitHub mod update reader is coming on the next update.

Public, Open-Source API library
We created a small, simple API library you can use to automate your updates (and hopefully share with other modders).
This dosen't mean we wont be creating and adding tools ourselves. It's for whoever wishes to help, have a very specific upload process or just interested in it.

This initial release comes with two methods:
- GetModVersion(string modId): Returns mod's version on modsync ninja
- UpdateMod(UpdateModRequest request): Updates a mod on modsync ninja. the request object is provided in the project.

API bridge repo
ModSync Ninja client repo

Agenda - upcoming updates
Users:
- In game UI to match the information provided on the website mods page
- Option to check for updates when starting the game
- Better looking, smaller ModSync button in the game client

Authors:
- For other mod managers who override the mods page - external DLL of our modsync button to allow the mods to coexist
- Multi author mods as seen in the modsync ninja mod page
- Update to the GitHub mod updater to match the client update features

Just want to take the opportunity to thank Kiame for joining in on the project and helping to bring it back to life :)

historic_os

Quote from: bigheadzach on December 16, 2017, 11:19:24 PM
Does the Direct link point to 1.1.1.0 yet?
It is now, sorry that update took a while to write