[B18][Mod Updater] ModSync Ninja

Started by historic_os, July 16, 2017, 06:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightinggale

Wow, that looks awesome. I'm really looking forward to taking a closer look at all this. Sadly I can't access it due to a 404 error. I'm not sure if it's because migration isn't done or if it's because my ISP's DNS server haven't updated yet. Either way I assume it will work in the near future.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

historic_os

Quote from: Nightinggale on December 16, 2017, 11:59:01 PM
Wow, that looks awesome. I'm really looking forward to taking a closer look at all this. Sadly I can't access it due to a 404 error. I'm not sure if it's because migration isn't done or if it's because my ISP's DNS server haven't updated yet. Either way I assume it will work in the near future.
Yeah, Kiame had the problem too took the DNS a bit to update. youll probably get it in a few minutes

Kiame

There seems to be something cached on my computer as I occasionally get the previous version of the site. Still trying to track it down.

When i test it on an old laptop (which i had to dust off) the new site loads up fine.

Edit: Figured it out. Clear the browser's cached data

historic_os

this might also be due to all the mods being updated, ill look into it if this issue continues after this initial data fetch phase

Nightinggale

I cleared the disk cache in the browser, shut it down completely and started it again. That seem to have fixed the issue and I get the new server consistently. Clearing the cache wasn't enough.

It looks great. I like how you are able to filter based on languages and version of RimWorld (though I'm not sure why B18 is there twice). Now if we (eventually) can get the same with tags to tell what the mod does, then it will be an awesome place to search for new mods you haven't heard about.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Kiame

Somehow my mods added the second B18. We're trying to track it down

historic_os

The plan is to allow user and author tags too but the UI is just not set for it yet, it will come!

Ozymandias

If it's possible, it'd be an absolute life saver if you could implement a sort of compatibility analysis feature to know which mod to place in which order to prevent conflicts. 

Nightinggale

Quote from: Ozymandias on December 17, 2017, 01:35:15 AM
If it's possible, it'd be an absolute life saver if you could implement a sort of compatibility analysis feature to know which mod to place in which order to prevent conflicts.
It's already possible with ModCheck. If the mod creator knows the mod needs to be loaded after some other mod, it can be set to write an error to the log if this requirement isn't fulfilled. Errors for incompatible mods and required mods missing can also be given. However it does require the mod creators to fill out the xml file and to my knowledge only Smokeleaf Industry has done so.

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: Nightinggale on December 17, 2017, 01:47:43 AM
... to my knowledge only Smokeleaf Industry has done so.
Nope, I started to use it as well...

https://github.com/kaptain-kavern/KK_MovableSandbags/blob/master/Patches/modcheck.xml

:p

Thank you for the tool, I'll have to have a look at last release though. I'm just a slow worker ^^

@ModSync Ninja team
Great work guys! thank you

Nightinggale

Apparently the database was down again. The error message is certainly not easy to understand and at first I thought I messed up. It wasn't until the web page failed to read the database that I realized it wasn't my fault. It came back up rather quickly and it's now working as intended. However it would be nice if the error message is human readable. Even with a stable server, the problem could be unstable wifi or similar, meaning loss of connection is reasonable to assume happening once in a while.

Can I add the entire changelog? I mean upload 1.0, 1.1 etc. Will it mess up anything now that the newest is 1.6 and it should stay as 1.6?

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on December 17, 2017, 02:01:09 AM
Quote from: Nightinggale on December 17, 2017, 01:47:43 AM
... to my knowledge only Smokeleaf Industry has done so.
Nope, I started to use it as well...
Luckily I said "to my knowledge". You can't argue with that  :P
On a related note: apparently "to my knowledge", the number of mods using ModCheck for compatibility checks has doubled. It's still nowhere near my intended goal though, but it will hopefully come eventually.

dburgdorf

I may have missed something somewhere, but what do I need to do or change in order to get my mods on the ModSync list to actually show the appropriate preview image and display the description text?

Oh, and why are "Tribal Essentials" and "Tribal Raiders" showing some random forum user with 5 posts as the author instead of me?  :)
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

frenchiveruti

Quote from: dburgdorf on December 17, 2017, 08:53:48 PM
I may have missed something somewhere, but what do I need to do or change in order to get my mods on the ModSync list to actually show the appropriate preview image and display the description text?

Oh, and why are "Tribal Essentials" and "Tribal Raiders" showing some random forum user with 5 posts as the author instead of me?  :)
Yeah what the heck!

Nightinggale

Quote from: dburgdorf on December 17, 2017, 08:53:48 PM
You enable the ModSync mod and then inside the mod list, there will be a ModSync button next to the update on steam button. You might need to enable developer in settings for it to show up (like the steam button). When updating, it will copy such meta data from your HD.

Quote from: dburgdorf on December 17, 2017, 08:53:48 PMOh, and why are "Tribal Essentials" and "Tribal Raiders" showing some random forum user with 5 posts as the author instead of me?  :)
Americans have been claim jumping since 1776, so why not online?  :P

Your objection is right. I thought it would pick the person who made the post with the ModSync link/logo. In this case it picked somebody who haven't even posted in the thread in question. That's a serious bug.

dburgdorf

Quote from: Nightinggale on December 17, 2017, 09:56:08 PMI thought it would pick the person who made the post with the ModSync link/logo. In this case it picked somebody who haven't even posted in the thread in question. That's a serious bug.

A minor clarification, but it might be relevant: He *does* in fact have a couple of posts in my mods' thread.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?