[B18] [WIP] Jurassic Rimworld

Started by Serpyderpy, July 16, 2017, 08:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serpyderpy

Life, uh... life finds a way.

What is this mod?

If the name and logo didn't tick you off, this mod aims to add a whole slew of dinosaurs and prehistoric creatures that have appeared in the Jurassic Park/World franchise to the distant rimworlds we all know and hate love so dearly! As an avid long time fan of the series, and having spied multiple requests from people asking about dinosaur mods, I thought I might give it a go.

What do you have planned?

One can expect to see the big names in here, Tyrannosaurus rex, Spinosaurus aegyptiacus, Indominus rex, Velociraptor sornaensis... but you can also expect some lesser dinosaurs you may not have heard of or were aware they were also apart of the franchise, such as Proceratosaurus bradleyi, meant to appear on the original Isla Nublar, or Tanystropheus longobardicus, who appeared solely in the toyline released in 1994! Whilst I am rather confident at adding animals I can however say I am less confident in other areas, nevertheless, I would like to make fences and decor reminiscent of that in Jurassic Park/World, such as braziers, signs and even the famous gate, and consider other things that might be interesting along the way, such as dino fan traits (and appropriate buffs), music, and events!

For a definite idea of what I do have planned, however, check the list below. These are ones that will be made, but some others that I will make down the line are surprises!

• Tyrannosaurus rex
  • Velociraptor sornaensis
  • Triceratops horridus
  • Brachiosaurus altithorax
  • Parasaurolophus walkeri
  • Spinosaurus aegyptiacus
  • Dilophosaurus wetherilli
  • Pachycephalosaurus wyomingensis
  • Stegosaurus stenops
  • Pteranodon longiceps
  • Ankylosaurus magniventris
  • Gallimimus bullatus
  • Indominus rex

What have you done so far?

Dilophosaurus! Working with custom sounds, spawning in the right biomes and has the chance to give your colonists a nasty toxic bite. Only thing I haven't yet figured out is the egg laying mechanics, but other than that, it works like a charm!

AS OF 19/07/2017: see progression map below for more goodies and content!

What can I do to help?

Ideas! Ideas, ideas and more ideas, I love brainstorming and coming up with proposals with other people and nothing gets me more raring to go than being given a great suggestion that I'd love to see come to fruition. Dinosaur species, different decor and more, I will almost always give it a go. As I am more confident adding simple things, items and pawns will have more of a chance to actually be made over other ideas, however, I'll still look into things if people really want a certain thing to be included!

As such, modding tips and tricks are super welcome. As this mod grows bigger, I also welcome feedback and balancing ideas if it gets out of hand. I use Rimworld as a peaceful colony sim ala Animal Crossing style more than anything else, so my idea of balancing is a little out of whack. That's where all you wonderful people come in to remind me that Rimworld is all about mowing down a crap ton of raiders and stealing their organs so you can get a sweet deal from dodgy traders whilst feeding that sweet succulent human meat to your starving prisoners, and that if you shoot a dinosaur in the face, you expect it to die, not become your friend.

I hope I can deliver a good mod down the road, and I hope some of you will join me on this mod's journey!

Code (Progression Map) Select
16/07/17
Dilophosaurus have been added.

19/07/17
Torch braziers have been added.
Dilophosaurus has been resized to be slightly bigger.
Carnivore Feeders have been added.
Herbivore Feeders have been added.
New resource Slaughter meat has been added that spawns from carnivore feeders.
New thought def added for eating slaughter meat, you know, in case you try to cheese it.
New resource Paleobale has been added that spawns from herbivore feeders.
Main Gate has been added.

22/07/2017
All dinosaurs here on out will now have the ability to lay eggs. Thank you so much, kaptain_kavern!
Gallimimus have been added.
Beacons have been added.
Information boards have been added.
Tiled paths have been added.
Paved paths have been added.
Fountains have been added.
Power stations have been added.
Helipads have been added.
Various skeletons have been added.

25/07/2017
New resource amber has been added.
Amber extraction bench has been added.
New resource DNA has been added.
DNA Reconstruction bench has been added.
Hatcheries have been added.
Dinosaur eggs now have a new texture.

29/07/2017
Amber has been tweaked.
Feeders have been tweaked.
Dino sizes have been tweaked.
Research branches are now being implemented.

01/08/2017
Research branches have been added.
Research has it's own tab.
Insectivore Feeders have been added.
New resource Gutloaded bugs has been added that spawns from insectivore feeders.
New thought def added for eating gutloaded bugs.
Piscivore Feeders have been added.
New resource Butchered fish has been added that spawns from piscivore feeders.
New thought def added for eating butchered fish.
Triceratops have been added.
Spinosaurus have been added.
Tyrannosaurus rex have been added.

10/08/2017
Parasaurolophus have been added.
Stegosaurus have been added.
Pachycephalosaurus have been added.
Concrete fences have been added.

[05/06/2018] We have a Discord server! Come join the fun!
https://discord.gg/3GeZZq5

Edie00773

PixelBitZombie

I personally probably wouldn't play this mod however who the fuck doesn't love dinosaurs! Just like another mod I found, this one could benefit if one was Roleplaying, by having its own unique land specific for Dinosaurs and humans. Kinda like the actual Jurassic Park movie, off on a island with deep jungle and flat lands with human structures.

Good job though, it looks great!
"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's off with her head"

kaptain_kavern

If you need help for the code regarding animals, either pm me or write it there, I will try to help. For the egglaying mechanism for example.

Keep up the good job and please do not hesitate if I can help :p

demeggy

Well isn't this just SPOOKY? I was just thinking of how necessary dino's were in A17 this weekend. If you don't complete this, I will punish you in the cruellest manners possible.

Good luck :)

Serpyderpy

QuoteAwh yiss, all the Dinosaurs!

I am honoured your first comment is on this thread, you silly boo.

QuoteI personally probably wouldn't play this mod however who the fuck doesn't love dinosaurs! Just like another mod I found, this one could benefit if one was Roleplaying, by having its own unique land specific for Dinosaurs and humans. Kinda like the actual Jurassic Park movie, off on a island with deep jungle and flat lands with human structures.

Good job though, it looks great!

Ahh, thank you! Admittedly I do sort of RP in a sense with Rimworld so that may or may not have inspired this mod somewhat.

QuoteIf you need help for the code regarding animals, either pm me or write it there, I will try to help. For the egglaying mechanism for example.

Keep up the good job and please do not hesitate if I can help :p

I would appreciate help with the egg laying very much! I got it to work a few alphas ago but I took a long break after that and when I came back, all my modding experience had flown out the window.

QuoteWell isn't this just SPOOKY? I was just thinking of how necessary dino's were in A17 this weekend. If you don't complete this, I will punish you in the cruellest manners possible.

Good luck :)

Kinky~

I'm trying my best to complete it, though! I'll more than likely release a version when I have enough substance ala maybe ten dinosaurs or more and some new mechanics and decor to work with. I'm just slow because I have to figure out how all this coding works, haha.

Serpyderpy

Update time!

Torch Braziers
An electric brazier that keeps a mighty flame lit and flickering. Adds a very tribal, archaic charm to your colony.
35 W
10 Wood - 40 Metallic

Carnivore Feeder
An automated feeding system designed to dispense slaughtered livestock for carnivores.
200 W
25 Components - 200 Metallic

Slaughter Meat
In life, genetically engineered yet crippled livestock full of all the dietary requirements, vitamins and goodies a carnivore needs to survive. In death, a tasty dino snack.
0.5 Nutrition
Colonists will not eat unless absolutely desperate
Gives major debuff

Slaughter Meat Debuff
The taste of rot lingers on my tongue. I ate sinewy, raw flesh that smelt of the grave.
-50 Mood
Expires in 24 hours
Meant to discourage cheesing the feeder

Herbivore Feeder
An automated feeding system designed to dispense fresh bales for herbivores.
200 W
25 Components - 200 Metallic

Paleobale
A bale of long since gone plants. Healthy and nutritious for many different herbivorous dinosaurs.
0.05 Nutrition
Colonists will not eat unless absolutely desperate

Main Gate
What have they got in there, King Kong?
200 Metallic
20 Beauty

Dragoon

Following this. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

demeggy

Wahey! Lots of operation genesis references in there! Looking good

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: Serpyderpy on July 18, 2017, 03:28:36 PMI would appreciate help with the egg laying very much! I got it to work a few alphas ago but I took a long break after that and when I came back, all my modding experience had flown out the window.

As an example here are some modded eggs from my TropiCKAPP Rainforest mod - The vanilla ones can be found in Core/Defs/ThingDefs_Items/Items_Resource_AnimalProduct.xml
  <ThingDef ParentName="EggUnfertBase">
    <defName>CK_EggPeafowlUnfertilized</defName>
    <label>peafowl egg (unfert.)</label>
    <description>Unfertilized peafowl egg. It can be eaten raw, but it's much, much better cooked.</description>
    <graphicData>
      <color>(228,185,135)</color>
    </graphicData>
    <statBases>
      <MarketValue>7.0</MarketValue>
    </statBases>
  </ThingDef> 

<ThingDef ParentName="EggFertBase">
    <defName>CK_EggPeafowlFertilized</defName>
    <label>peafowl egg (fert.)</label>
    <description>Fertilized peafowl egg. If all goes well, it should hatch into a baby peafowl. It can be eaten raw, but it's much better cooked.</description>
    <graphicData>
      <color>(220,225,190)</color>
      <drawSize>1.1</drawSize>
    </graphicData>
    <statBases>
      <MarketValue>14.0</MarketValue>
    </statBases>
    <comps>
      <li Class="CompProperties_Hatcher">
        <hatcherDaysToHatch>5</hatcherDaysToHatch>
        <hatcherPawn>CK_Peafowl</hatcherPawn>
      </li>
    </comps>
</ThingDef>

The whole Unfertilized part is optional (in fact in vanilla it is only used for chickens), if you skip it there will be no unfertilized eggs

In <graphicData> you can use a custom texture with <texPath>

And of course you need to reference the egg-laying ability in the animal <ThingDef> with a <comps> like in here (From the same mod as the last example) :

<comps>
      <li Class="CompProperties_EggLayer">
      <eggUnfertilizedDef>CK_EggPeafowlUnfertilized</eggUnfertilizedDef>
        <eggFertilizedDef>CK_EggPeafowlFertilized</eggFertilizedDef>
        <eggFertilizationCountMax>1</eggFertilizationCountMax>
        <eggLayIntervalDays>8</eggLayIntervalDays>        
        <eggCountRange>
          <min>1</min>
          <max>3</max>
        </eggCountRange>
      </li>
</comps>

Serpyderpy

Update time!

They're, uh... they're flocking this way.

Gallimimus bullatus
An agile, speedy dinosaur that lives in large herds.
Spawns in Tropical Rainforest and Arid Shrubland biomes.

Tiled Floor
Usually acts as a border. Grey slabs of stone laid out in a tiled fashion.
1 Steel

Paved Floor
Tan coloured rounded slabs laid out in an interlocking pattern. Often used as paths.
1 Steel

Parasaurolophus Fountain
A fountain bearing the busts of four parasaurolophus individuals in all cardinal directions.
100 Stone Blocks
25 Beauty

Large Infoboard
A large information board holding various entries on different dinosaurs. Glows slightly without power.
25 Metallic

Small Infoboard
A small information board holding various entries on different dinosaurs. Glows slightly without power.
15 Metallic

Helipad
A helipad. A distinct landing site for choppers.
50 Metallic

Beacon
A small glowing lamp that is often used to light the way in emergencies. Not very powerful nor very bright.
25 Metallic

Power Station
A power plant that provides a decent energy output. Can be built almost anywhere, but requires some hefty materials to build.
250 Steel
25 Component
1000W output

Stegosaurus Skeleton
A cast replica of a skeleton belonging to a Stegosaurus stenops specimen.
15 Steel
100 Stone Blocks
30 Beauty

Carnotaurus Skeleton
A cast replica of a skeleton belonging to a Carnotaurus sastrei specimen.
15 Steel
100 Stone Blocks
30 Beauty

Apatosaurus Skeleton
A cast replica of a skeleton belonging to a Apatosaurus ajax specimen.
20 Steel
200 Stone Blocks
50 Beauty

A big thank you to kaptain_kavern for help with egg laying code! Your dinosaurs can and will now produce eggs!

demeggy

Dawww - cannot wait for this. Let me know if you need a hand with anything :) Testing, art, coding, xml editing - I'm rather versatile...

Actually, come to think of it, I've thought of a rather nifty way in way you could mine for amber, to extract Dino DNA at a custom lab bench. Give me a holler if you fancy the notes.

Serpyderpy

QuoteFollowing this. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I appreciate it man, thank you!

QuoteWahey! Lots of operation genesis references in there! Looking good
QuoteDawww - cannot wait for this. Let me know if you need a hand with anything :) Testing, art, coding, xml editing - I'm rather versatile...

Actually, come to think of it, I've thought of a rather nifty way in way you could mine for amber, to extract Dino DNA at a custom lab bench. Give me a holler if you fancy the notes.
JP:OG was and still is my go-to Jurassic Park game, played it when it first came out on PS2 and I haven't put it down since! Gotta have the references in there. You must have read my mind though, I was going to push the last update to contain fossils or amber which you could build things with (the skeletons) but the DNA idea has me intruiged, honestly.

My test guineapig at the moment was disappointed that he couldn't tame dinosaurs without some level of difficulty which is understandable because hell yeah, dinosaurs, but I imagine they aren't going to be the friendliest of things to wander up to and attempt to tame. I don't know if it's possible with .xml only but I do kind of like the idea of getting amber, extracting it for DNA, and using that DNA to make eggs of certain dinosaurs that automatically join your colony when they hatch. I'd be down for some notes on that, definitely.

And again, can't thank you enough, kaptain_kavern, you're the real MVP.

demeggy

Quote from: Serpyderpy on July 22, 2017, 05:44:07 PM
QuoteFollowing this. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I appreciate it man, thank you!

QuoteWahey! Lots of operation genesis references in there! Looking good
QuoteDawww - cannot wait for this. Let me know if you need a hand with anything :) Testing, art, coding, xml editing - I'm rather versatile...

JP:OG was and still is my go-to Jurassic Park game, played it when it first came out on PS2 and I haven't put it down since! Gotta have the references in there. You must have read my mind though, I was going to push the last update to contain fossils or amber which you could build things with (the skeletons) but the DNA idea has me intruiged, honestly.

My test guineapig at the moment was disappointed that he couldn't tame dinosaurs without some level of difficulty which is understandable because hell yeah, dinosaurs, but I imagine they aren't going to be the friendliest of things to wander up to and attempt to tame. I don't know if it's possible with .xml only but I do kind of like the idea of getting amber, extracting it for DNA, and using that DNA to make eggs of certain dinosaurs that automatically join your colony when they hatch. I'd be down for some notes on that, definitely.

And again, can't thank you enough, kaptain_kavern, you're the real MVP.

NP - Simple process really, Amber ore generated in map akin to other ores, once amber's mined, can then be used at a special DNA Extraction Stationwith a custom workgiver that produces randomised Dino DNA once the process is complete (would require a colonist to stand there doing their magic, like any standard tool table really). That DNA can then be used in a Dino Egg style recipe at a Hatchery Station, exactly the same as before, but this time round it produces the relevant dino egg. Pop the egg down somewhere, and voila, baby dinos!

kaptain_kavern

Hey, you're welcome mate, my pleasure. The more mods we have the more I'm happy ;-)

I'm a big fan of Jurassic Park myself (more the two books by M. Crichton than the films, but as someone born in the 80's, I've seen the first movie as a child and had my "dinomania period" after ^^)

Regarding the previously discussed mechanics, that seems doable with XML only, if you'd ask me ;)

Modded "ore", modded building (made like the multi-analyzer) that require "amber" to be construct. This building unlock a (or several) research projects. Those projects unlocks recipe that produce fertilized eggs :p

As a bonus : you can also have a look at the XML code for hive. You'll find that they have a function (I'm not sure but I think it is a <comps>) made to just "spawn" a Thingdef every x ticks if you want to have a building that spawn eggs ;-p