[1.0] Death Rattle (2018-10-30)

Started by System.Linq, July 17, 2017, 02:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

System.Linq

This mod makes it so that people will no longer instantly die when their vital capacities reach zero. If one of your colonists has their liver destroyed by a charge lance, for instance, they will become severely ill and you will have a short window to get them a new liver before they die.

The time scales in this mod are not entirely realistic, because Rimworld's time scale makes it effectively impossible for a colonist to receive life-saving care in a realistic amount of time. Colonists move too slowly, and days pass too quickly, so the numbers have been fudged to make it difficult, but possible, to save someone if you have a donor organ on hand.

Be warned: Just because they survive, doesn't mean they won't suffer permanent brain injury as a result of their near-death experience.

Don't ask me about compatibility. It should be compatible with everything. Just try it, and let me know if it doesn't work, so I can fix it.

Download
I recommend you download it from the Steam Workshop to receive automatic updates. Visit the Steam Workshop page to subscribe here.

If you do not have RimWorld on Steam, but you have a forums account, you can also download it manually through the attachment. Note that the mod requires HugsLib to function.

License
Can include in modpacks with credit. Can reuse/edit code with credit.

[attachment deleted due to age]

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

lorebot

I've been hoping for a mod like this since the first time I had a colonist fall over dead the moment they lost a 2nd kidney. Sure, not having any kidneys is fatal...but it's certainly not instant. They should linger on for a day or so while they go into sepsis and die of blood poisoning.

Could you share some specifics on which organs are no longer 'instant death' if they're destroyed? You mentioned the liver, I'm guessing kidneys are included, are there others? Does it include organs being harvested through surgery or only combat damage?

System.Linq

Any organ that causes death through loss of capacity (i.e. blood filtration, blood pumping, breathing, metabolism) no longer causes instantaneous death. That's it. Colonists will also go into a coma instead of dying when consciousness reaches zero.

PixelBitZombie

Still better than nothing. Like lore mentioned, its been a mod that I've waited for too. Gives you a beating chance to try and save your colonists from death.
Thanks.
"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's off with her head"

System.Linq

No problem; I made it because it bothered me too.

lorebot

Quote from: Linq on July 17, 2017, 03:05:52 AM
Any organ that causes death through loss of capacity (i.e. blood filtration, blood pumping, breathing, metabolism) no longer causes instantaneous death. That's it. Colonists will also go into a coma instead of dying when consciousness reaches zero.

Okay, so with this mod you could conceivably harvest ALL of a pawns organs and then sell them to a slaver before they die...because they'll still be in a 'coma' without a heart or lungs. I mean, a human could be considered 'alive' for a minute or so while they suffocate if their lungs were suddenly removed/disabled...and I suppose the same could be said for someone whose heart stops.

Are there different time limits till death depending on what type of capacity is lost? Breathing and blood pumping should really have a much shorter time window than blood filtration or metabolism if that's at all possible. :)

System.Linq

Quote from: lorebot on July 17, 2017, 03:53:50 AM
Quote from: Linq on July 17, 2017, 03:05:52 AM

Okay, so with this mod you could conceivably harvest ALL of a pawns organs and then sell them to a slaver before they die...because they'll still be in a 'coma' without a heart or lungs. I mean, a human could be considered 'alive' for a minute or so while they suffocate if their lungs were suddenly removed/disabled...and I suppose the same could be said for someone whose heart stops.

Are there different time limits till death depending on what type of capacity is lost? Breathing and blood pumping should really have a much shorter time window than blood filtration or metabolism if that's at all possible. :)

Consciousness is different from breathing/blood pumping. They will not go into a coma, that is for Consciousness only (e.g. brain damaged pawns who take smokeleaf won't instantly die). They will die very quickly if you remove their heart or lungs; the time window is meant for you to get them a new one, not continue removing things. Even that is touch-and-go. Obviously the time windows are different for different organs.

I recommend you try the mod before drawing conclusions.

lorebot

Quote from: Linq on July 17, 2017, 04:02:45 AM
Consciousness is different from breathing/blood pumping. They will not go into a coma, that is for Consciousness only (e.g. brain damaged pawns who take smokeleaf won't instantly die). They will die very quickly if you remove their heart or lungs; the time window is meant for you to get them a new one, not continue removing things. Even that is touch-and-go. Obviously the time windows are different for different organs.

I'll certainly give it a try asap. The only reason I'm asking is because your OP doesn't have a lot of specifics about the effects of your mod...and it's 4am here and I need to get to bed so I can't just go try it out :)

SpaceDorf

You have to consider that the value of slaves is dependent on their overall health and equipment.

Even IF you manage to micro the sale of a empty bag of flesh the price would reflect the condition of your "merchandise".

So it really is only the "Achievment"-Kind of possible ...

( not that I would not try to grab that one too  ::) )
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Navy1227

Quote from: lorebot on July 17, 2017, 04:18:26 AM
Quote from: Linq on July 17, 2017, 04:02:45 AM

I'll certainly give it a try asap. The only reason I'm asking is because your OP doesn't have a lot of specifics about the effects of your mod...and it's 4am here and I need to get to bed so I can't just go try it out :)

I mean.... you COULD try it before bed, but maybe not a good idea?

On Topic:
For some reason this just out right reminds me of flat lining pawns which makes me want that with defibrillators. Basically if you get a pawn who has bled out so much that they just can't go on, instead of dying they just flat line and can be brought back with said defibs... with a % chance.

ACTUALLY On Topic:
Thank you for this, it looks and sounds great.

XeoNovaDan

This is definitely a must-have on the surface. The way that RimWorld's current health system handles stuff like this definitely seems off, and there should most certainly be a window to save that pawn.

Keep up with the great mods!

EnterTheNameHere

Funny thing happened when raiders went over my traps - one had severed neck and two lost their head. They were all in coma, but unfortunatelly even my best doctor cannot save them. Heads were not found.

System.Linq

Quote from: EnterTheNameHere on July 17, 2017, 05:55:14 PM
Funny thing happened when raiders went over my traps - one had severed neck and two lost their head. They were all in coma, but unfortunatelly even my best doctor cannot save them. Heads were not found.
Yep, I didn't have time to test this edge case earlier, but I'll fix it tonight. It's not really game-breaking -- it's not like you can stitch a new head back on them, so they're gonna die either way.

rambo

some guy lost his BRAIN and is still alive thats instant death for sure