Nerv clothing insulation

Started by Bolgfred, July 17, 2017, 03:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolgfred

Dear Rim-society,

I just got a crafter-pawn crafting a muffalo wool duster which came out as a masterwork. It was his first clothing, so he ran around naked with just a duster and went for hunting. Kind of cool .. or worrying.
Point is, the duster added about +/-75°C insulation, what makes my naked pawn  happy from -50°C to 105°C(!), while being almost naked, which makes no sense and is an way too strong effect.
I know I cannot take numbers in temperature way too serious, as rimworld is throwing around big numbers (130°C in a desert, far too much for real, but okay, its an extreme desert).

I am not perfectly sure what would solve the problem, but I'd wish the effect of clothing to be nerved. Clothing shouldn't allow a pawn to work and sleep in extreme temperatures for an infinite amount of time. Especially as most clothing makes immune to heat and cold at the same time. A simpler solution could be, that artificial changes in insulation only prevent from higher heatsrtoke/frostbite levels.
By this, a pawn will feel the effect of being cold, while wearing a jacket, but won't die immediatly by it, which still forces him to go inside from time to time.

All-in-All I don't know what I want for sure, but I'd be happy to hear some other thoughts on that topic.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

stigma

It's an issue with how the multiplicative factors work.

high quality is a large multiplier on insulation.
well-insulating materials is another large multiplier.
combine these together on a high base item and you get absurd values - much more than you could ever need 99% of the time.

The range of values should probably be truncated a bit and moved towards the middle, especially on the high-end.

Then again, as you say, rimworld biomes in the extreme range so high and low than these unrealistic values sort of fit...
-Stigma

b0rsuk

Part of the quality benefit could be moved to other bonuses, like extra comfort.

Bolgfred

The comfort idea sound quite reasonable for me.

Additinal I think that wool type benefits shoouldn't boost into multiple ways. As fluffy muffalo wool should be great for warming, but very bad for keeping cold. Vise versa for cotton, which has a more sun-protecting than a warming effect.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil