[A18] Cannibar Rechter's Total Texture Overhaul

Started by CannibarRechter, October 29, 2017, 07:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CannibarRechter

CR Total Texture Overhaul

Video Link

You can also find a high resolution copy of the video in my drop box.

About this Mod: This mod retextures RimWorld with a natural feel. With the exceptions of human pawns and clothing, virtually nothing has been left untouched. World terrain, the map terrain, structures, goods, animals, weapons, items, resources, and the RimWorld user interface have all been retexed. Many items have been given FX overlays, meaning that engines smoke, lights flare, and otherwise come alive.

Installation Instructions, READ CAREFULLY:

This mod requires 3 (THREE) of my mods to work. You must install, Moddable, CompFX, and Textures. Moddable and CompFX should be EARLY (near first) in your mod list. Textures should be LATE (near last) in your mod list. Note that Moddable and CompFX stand alone and can be used by other modders. You can simply download and extract the mods, and place each of the folders in your Mods directory.

To download, please follow the All Mods link in my signature or click directly, CR here.

This mod includes out-of-the box retexturing support for the following mods:

Allow Tool
    Colony Manager
    ED-Embrasures
    Extended Storage
    Fences and Floors (limited support for all floors and the security fence only)
    Gauss Weapons
    Laser Weapons
    LT-Door Mat
    Mining Company MMS
    MiscellaneousCore
    Miscellaneous Robots+
    More Vanilla Turrets
    OHO Ships
    RBSE
    Tilled Soil

Additional mods will be added by popular request.

Next most likely addition will be Combat Extended  -- Weapons.

LICENSE: Public Domain.

Credits: Jec for a portion of the BigGuns component (which renders weapons larger), and Jabbamonkey, who did the on-ground clothing textures, and the art textures.

Feedback Solicited:

Three  types of feedback are solicited.

1. Are there any technical glitches? I.e., do any of the FX misoverlay when objects rotate, etc? Are any of the animals the wrong size when turned? Etc.
2. Subjective. Is there some game element that could use improvement, and if so, what?

Some other notes:

This mod makes NO direct gameplay changes. However, in a few cases I have taken some artistic liberty with the names of things. If you see something appear with a different name (e.g., the Gladius is now the Khukuri, a different type of short blade), it still behaves the same. There are, however, a few graphics changes that will change the way the game is played. 1) ship parts are slightly different sizes, 2) animals render at layer which means they can hide in foliage.

CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Grugsy

you are off to a good start here with your theme and concept....but, like many "photo realistic" texture packs for other games like Minecraft, it is too much photo and not enough realistic. I had the same problem myself. Everything needs to feel like it's part of the world it's in, not just look like a photo stuck on top of another photo. It needs depth, shading and consistent lighting.

CannibarRechter

I'm gathering that your comment probably refers to a workbench type. Since there are workbenches I'm not quite happy with yet (the sewing machine and the component bench come to mind), I suppose I agree with you. The white-on-white of the electric tailoring bench is a bit washed out. In most cases I have attempted to use a shadow effect to add depth, but I think in some cases it came out too subtle. In any case, this mod is an early release. It would be more useful if you focused on specific parts.

Grugsy

Lemme start this by saying I'm going off the video, and not trying to be offensive, just trying to help. I'm also an amateur, but speak from experience. the wooden workbenches are a perfect example of the consistent lighting comment, having the highlight on the wall side as if there were a bright light in the wall. it completely breaks the realism of that workbench being in a room with the light on the other side. everything should be lit from the top but not brightly. there shouldn't be any hard highlights or shadows from any direction other than the sun from a fixed position above on any texture, and at the same brightness. some walls have hard deep shadows and others do not(should not). overall it's like a collage of stickers from different magazines over a different shiny magazine page. not objects in a world. each image you have used has depth in itself, but is completely disconnected from the space it's in (the ship chunks are legit). one trick I used was the burn tool at about 20% around the edges and blended it to 85% transparency, might work for things like the trees so they don't have an obvious border and feel more like part of the environment (or to give items/furniture less of a hard edge)... but it won't fix the fact that some of them have shadows from the wrong direction on the leaves as an example. some of your source textures also appear to be different resolutions, the floors being a great example. (some don't tile well either) Again..not trying to be too harsh, or discourage you, I'd like to see this be awesome and everything fit as well as those ship chunks one day.  :) 

CannibarRechter

I see what your saying about the benches. Their original render always uses light source from upper left, but when you rotate, that position will change. Almost all such edges are generated using a GIMP bump map with a light in the upper left to generate a bevel. It's how the faux 3d effect is created (think about GUI buttons and their faux 3D: the same method, just using a procedure). I'm actually a bit surprised you really noticed that detail, though. The walls uses the same method, although the production process is more complex due to the linking. I think all the floors actually do tile, but of course they can't (game engine limitation) tile between floor types.

I actually don't think the average player will be able to tell about the texture detail differences. All texture details are higher than the game can actually display normally. You may have noticed this in the video because I'm using a mod that allows you to zoom in further than the game will allow. This is for developmental purposes (so I can inspect things).

Without the lighting on the bevel, you won't really be able to see the bevel. I'm afraid I can do little with your comments for that type of graphical flaw. While I might be able to make the lighting actually always come from the northwest (as opposed to rotating with the object) with some work, that would require a new Graphics_Class, as Graphics_Multi can't do that. I'll think on that one, but it's not gonna be a priority.

I'm rather proud of the ship chunks, actually. Thank you for that. You're seeing Comp_FX in action there. That's where the hot smoke (two FX, actually: smoke and heat, blended) is coming from. It also took a bit of finnegling to get earth colors right in the original graphics, plus the blend to work.

KasperDerNarr

These are wonderful! Finally can I play without getting an eye cancer...
Any chance for a simple version-independent texture replacer version without any additional features?

CannibarRechter

Version-independence isn't really possible, because there are quite a few UI textures that cannot be replaced without C# code. I'm not sure, but I suspect that if you didn't install Moddable, then all that would happen is those UI items would not be replaced. I'd have to investigate the Assemblies in the mod itself to remember what all of them are doing. For A18, there are quite a few new textures that I haven't done yet.

KasperDerNarr

I know complete independence is not possible, but if you made a simpler replacer version of the mod (in which every texture corresponds to it's real position in the folder structure, without modyfying the texture paths and other things) maybe it wouldn't cause the bugs it causes now (in 18b you can't for example start a game because survivors don't land on the map).
The only thing I could do was to make my own mod folder and copy your textures where they should normally "vanilla-ish" belong.

CannibarRechter

Hmmm. I haven't released my A18 version yet, as I have been busy. I have, however, recompiled it and have it working to a point (without the new textures released in A18, and without a lot of testing). If you would like that version, I can publish you a beta copy for you this weekend.

What bug did you encounter, by the way? After I recompiled all the Assemblies, resolved the XML errors for the patches and so forth, I didn't get any more errors.

BTW,  A18 itself (the game) has a significant bugfix applied to it that I found regarding the way texture patches work. Unfortunately in A17, there was a bug where "first man wins," meaning that any texture that appeared outside of the Unity asset files first in the load order would go first. That was unintended, and got fixed in A18. Anyway, that's why you're seeing so many core textures and other things in their own directories, and handled via patching. By relocating everything, my mod would "win" the competition for the texture. Much of that isn't necessary any more.

KasperDerNarr

The only bug caused by the a17 version I encountered was preventing the transport pods from appearing at the very start. No idea why that could happen.

And yes, I would be very glad if I could test your new version :)

CannibarRechter

The A18 version has been uploaded to my downloads link. I added support for all the new plants except for the cave BIOME stuffs (still in progress), plus the advanced component and the wood generator. I still have some more to do.

If you notice any broken textures (older textures that aren't working) please let me know. I haven't had time to play test all the old stuff yet.

The drop ships definitely animate now.

Iusticia

Hi,

I noticed the only CompFX mod in the Dropbox link still appears as the A17 version; does this file still work with A18?

Cheers.

CannibarRechter

Ooops, no. I see the problem; I copied up the a different file instead. Tonite I'll pot the A18 version up.

CannibarRechter

Drglord

Damn this is amazing but i wish it was more in the way of customization.... i guess i'll dig around and maybe a i can steal some stuff as i really liked the textures for the dropships maybe i can put them in my game since i don't want a real overhaul. Great job though