[POLL] Predator Attacks, should they be given notifications?

Started by A Friend, July 19, 2017, 05:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What the title said.

Yes, you should be notified as soon as they decide to hunt colonists.
20 (32.8%)
Yes, but only when they're a certain distance from the colonists.
25 (41%)
No.
15 (24.6%)
Just remove the feature entirely.
1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 61

A Friend

What's your opinion on the event?

Edit: Strawpoll = http://www.strawpoll.me/13475455
if you can't vote for some reason.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

The Nickman

Yep, and it should be based on the size of the predator and you should be notified as soon as the colonist would notice, not when the animal decides to attack.  And it should be a red notification.

If the game pauses at a red zzzzzt, it should be able to pause when your colonist realises he's being attacked by a manhunting fricken bear!

giannikampa

It should be notified as son as anybody notices the animal pointing for attack
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

ChillinVillian13

ii hate the people that say that this should be a notification because it takes away some of the risk and danger in the game. There shouldn't be a notification, there should be a warning at the beginning of a "hunting season". So for example, bears generally hunt in the spring and summer, so during winter and fall there should be no bears on the map. And when the beginning of spring comes there should be a yellow notification that bears can now spawn and hunt your colonists and this stays on the side stating how many days are left in bear hunting season.

Yoshida Keiji

Definitely NO. Danger shall always lurk around. What could be a good idea, is to create a zone called "danger", so when you spot a bear, your colonists should be given alert warning not to venture to that specific portion of the map, a reversed version of home I would say, which could be deleted automatically once the predator is killed.

Somebody says: "-Guys, there has been sighted a bear to the East of the woods, you have been warned.-"

Me: "Go West, life is peaceful there, go West, where the sky is blue...go West. this is what we're gonna do..."

JimmyAgnt007

By that logic, we shouldnt have raid notifications.  They just show up and its up to us to notice all the bad people running towards our base. 

For me, I said yes, but based on distance, so its like someone yelling "THE SQUIRRELS ARE ATTACKING!"

TheMeInTeam

Saying there shouldn't be a warning of any kind is incoherent, unless you're willing to make some sweeping changes to the game's notification system as a whole that position is not and can't be rational.

Yoshida Keiji

There already are many games that implement a "Fog" system. Rim World would need to upgrade so that we can build guard posts and colonist have a sight range like a lighthouse circling like a paper fan. Bionic eye implants increasing range and those with cataract short ranged. I like tough games. Then as technological research progresses, build motion radar, heat signatures, infrared... density radar, .... I would love to sneak attack pirate outposts hiding behind trees and using night as cover.

...Instead of the: "-Hello, we are bad guys and we are going to attack you, just so that you know.-"

SpaceDorf

There allready is a mod thas does give a warning .. In form of a beep noise, text in the upper left.

I use it and I think it is only fair. Because the problem with pawn hunting animals is that they are not handled like man hunters.
And Pawns, when set to flee or defend, are not allowed to act according to their settings when a hungry looking wild animal comes directly for them but the animal gets to strike first.
So either I get a warning to think for my pawns .. or the pawns should be allowed to act for themselves and react.

Personally I think what the makes the situation stand out so much is that it is immersion breaking in comparison to other animal related situation.

When Manhunters appear in any form they get flagged as enemy and pawns act accordingly by shooting or running.
When a Taming attemp goes wrong, the animal gets flagged as enemy and pawns act accordingly by shooting or running.
When animals react badly to being hunted, the animal gets flagged as enemy and pawns act accordingly by shooting or running.
When prisoners try to flee, they get flagged as enemy and pawns act accordingly by shooting or running.
When pawns have a agressive mental breakdown, they get  flagged as enemy and pawns act accordingly by shooting or running.

When an animal decided to hunt a pawn or colony animal, it stays flagged as normal animal while nobody in your colony gives a shit until the animal had first blood.
Then some noise tells me someone is under attack, while everybody else around still does not care at all.
They animal then continues to kill and consume until the bitter end of either your colony member or itself without reacting to outside influnces ( like a hailstorm of bullets coming its way )

to repeat my point : I like that this is happening, but it does break immersion and game consistensy which is by far the greater sin than being imbalanced or overpowered.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Swat_Raptor

I think we should have a subtle notification for hunting predators like we do for Animal starvation, or Colonist starvation.

its a potential problem but its not developed into a issue until it bites your colonist, it might end up moving towards your colonist and then end up re-targeting and eating a squirrel instead.

Don't stop the game and throw up a red report just because a predator has chosen a hunting target, this is just a bad idea by design.

its a potential problem but its not developed into a issue until it bites your colonist, it might end up moving towards your colonist and then end up re-targeting and eating a squirrel instead.

The idea that you should get a report when a animal targets your pawn is just silly since their hunting target can change as soon as your pawn walks through a door, it would just result in players getting spammed with reports.

I think we should be alerted to active problems and threats like we do in other cases. I think this sort of issue is the kind that we should start with a subtle notification just like we get for colonist and animal starvation, but this would say predators are hunting (because predators have gotten hungry enough to hunt).

The Nickman

Quote from: ChillinVillian13 on July 19, 2017, 08:18:36 AM
ii hate the people that say that this should be a notification because it takes away some of the risk and danger in the game. There shouldn't be a notification, there should be a warning at the beginning of a "hunting season". So for example, bears generally hunt in the spring and summer, so during winter and fall there should be no bears on the map. And when the beginning of spring comes there should be a yellow notification that bears can now spawn and hunt your colonists and this stays on the side stating how many days are left in bear hunting season.
So we currently get a warning and can choose for the game to pause on a red Zzzzzzt, or if a squirrel goes mad and charges our base from the other side of the map, yet you don't think a colonist being attacked by a man-hunting bear warrants any more than a beep?

I can't even begin to understand your logic on this.

Bozobub

I'd say:
- Red report if limited to a given range, or
- Normal notification, if not.

I'd actually prefer red notifications that can be acknowledged, or otherwise "banished" thus consistently handling all potentially dangerous events the exact same way.  The current setup is unnecessarily confusing AND obnoxious, at the same time, as anyone who has been forced to sit through 1x speed unnecessarily knows all too well.
Thanks, belgord!

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Bozobub on July 19, 2017, 04:24:27 PM
I'd say:
- Red report if limited to a given range, or
- Normal notification, if not.

I'd actually prefer red notifications that can be acknowledged, or otherwise "banished" thus consistently handling all potentially dangerous events the exact same way.  The current setup is unnecessarily confusing AND obnoxious, at the same time, as anyone who has been forced to sit through 1x speed unnecessarily knows all too well.

Yes, though it's a bit unrelated forced 1 speed can be extremely vexing, especially in scenarios where you genuinely don't care (IE fox is hunting that turtle that self-tamed out there somewhere and struggling vs the armor).

ChillinVillian13

Quote from: The Nickman on July 19, 2017, 04:18:26 PM
Quote from: ChillinVillian13 on July 19, 2017, 08:18:36 AM
So we currently get a warning and can choose for the game to pause on a red Zzzzzzt, or if a squirrel goes mad and charges our base from the other side of the map, yet you don't think a colonist being attacked by a man-hunting bear warrants any more than a beep?

I can't even begin to understand your logic on this.
If your colonist is getting hunted down without your knowledge then it is your fault that you didn't see the danger and take precautions. Myself i prefer to get a hunting party and shoot down the predator. But if you can't pay attention to your game then you can't blame the game's mechanics

Bozobub

That's asinine.  Again, following your logic, no notifications are necessary at all.  Please feel free to attempt to reconcile the instant "manhunter" alert with your attitude.
Thanks, belgord!