Zeppelins

Started by Vlad0mi3r, July 19, 2017, 11:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vlad0mi3r

I have been thinking about transport more and more recently. Reading through the posts and trying to work out what could be the most "Rim world" form of transport.

I came up with the Zeppelin because it can move over any terrain. Could be constructed out of various types of material for personalisation from Wood to Plassteal, Cloth to Devilstrand. Fueling options Chemfuel, Batteries or Nuclear.

Construction could be compartmentalised so you build a Zeppelin mast and build on from there. Nose section and then adding in either cargo sections(Increase load limit) or propulsion sections (Speed on world map) then the tail when your done (Maybe a maximum length).

Load her up like cargo pods and then move off like a caravan.

Anyway I just thought it would fit with whole Rim World things are a little bit different and not necessarily normal.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

SpaceDorf

You had me at Zeppelins ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Armorpiercing125

Because nothing disastrous ever happened to a Zeppelin.

Oh wait.

Swat_Raptor

Quote from: Armorpiercing125 on July 19, 2017, 12:42:32 PM
Because nothing disastrous ever happened to a Zeppelin.

This actually sounds like a reason why the idea fits with Rimworld.

SpaceDorf

Yeah .. using Hydrogen as Floating Gas was not that good an Idea.

Vlad0mi3r

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 19, 2017, 01:28:35 PM
Yeah .. using Hydrogen as Floating Gas was not that good an Idea.

Letting it mix with oxygen was the real issue. Think of the possibilities trading for helium or finding a helium vent via the valuable resource scanner. Or just going with the good old hydrogen and hope for the best.

Honestly though the first aircraft to circumnavigate the globe was a Zeppelin as well as flying to the north pole. 

It does make me sad that the Hindenburg is always brought up. Not the other Awesome things that were done with lighter than air aircraft.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Vlad0mi3r on July 20, 2017, 04:09:18 AM

It does make me sad that the Hindenburg is always brought up. Not the other Awesome things that were done with lighter than air aircraft.

Or the fact that there is still a discussion to use Zeppelins as Heavy Lifting Aircraft, or how damn usefull weather balloons are.

The Helium vent you brought up made me instantly think of the Steam Vents we allready have .. there are enough vents arround the world that exhaust more gas than only hot H2O