(A16) Redemption: A full story of a colony with plenty of pictures

Started by MiniKeeper, July 19, 2017, 06:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniKeeper

Since there is a limit to how many links you can put in your signature, I'm going to post all my other stories here, so I can link people to all my stories in my signature.
Story 1: Tragedy
Story 2: HumbleTown
Story 3: HumbleTown with friends
Story 4: Cursed
Story 5: Regret
Story 6: Industry
Story 7: Struggle
Story 8 (that's this post)
Story 9: Wildfire
Story 10: Kyber (modded)

And perhaps there will be more...

Anyway, on to the actual story.

Rimworld Adventure 8: Redemption
Difficulty: Randy on extreme difficulty with permadeath enabled
Scenario: Crashlanded
Landing point: Mountainous temperate forest with year-round growing.
Starting colonists:

Loej: A 46-year-old woman. She is pretty and industrious.
Notable skills: 11 crafting, 10 research, 8 medicine.

Sour: A 21-year-old male farm oaf. He is a fast walker, is psychically sensitive, and has a chemical fascination.
Notable skills: 11 growing, 7 melee.

Topl: A 29-year-old male military commissioner. He is industrious, psychically dull and is a careful shooter.
Notable skills: 10 shooting, 8 research, 6 medicine.

Day 0:
The planet.

Later on day 0:
A crop of potatoes has been planted. The colonists also made a shack and almost finished the other one.

(Turns out we also started with a husky).

Day 3:
The colony has made a good amount of progress.
I got the popup to name the faction and settlement. I name the faction Redemption and the settlement Primum.

(The progress so far).

Day 4:
Randy's first evil deed: fibrous mechanites. Topl and Sour are infected. Part of me wants to keep the disease around for its boosts, but I think I should treat it before it gets out of control. This will suck up a lot of medicine though.

Day 7:
I get the chased refugee event. I can choose to accept a 15-year-old music lover in exchange for a raid. Since I don't really want a colonist who will almost certainly be useless, no thanks.

Day 10:
Things have been very quiet so far. The base is coming along nicely. We have researched microelectronic basics, and are researching passive coolers to prevent randy trolling me fair and balanced heat wave deaths.

Day 12:
The days of peace continue. A pirate merchant has arrived from a local outlander town. Maybe we can buy something.

I buy 20 gold to use later on the multi analyzer.

Day 14:
Still no raids. It's all quiet. We have received the location of the secret ship.

But then, Haskel appears. The ring of fire is from a dry thunderstorm that occurred during the night.

Topl quickly incapacitates Haskel with three shots from his rifle. Maybe we can get a new recruit.
His skills are mediocre, he's a crafter and a researcher, but Loej is a good crafter and both her and Topl are good researchers. I might skill recruit him since his recruitment difficulty is only 69%.

Day 16:
An arms dealer from a local tribe has arrived. I think it's time to buy weapons and prepare for the coming storm.

Day 17:
Welcome aboard Haskel.

His traits: bloodlust and green thumb.
Notable skills: 11 crafting, and 12 research.

Haskel will produce the stone required to build the great wall of defense. But, knowing Randy, all of my raids will be sappers anyway.

Later on day 17...
A wanderer joins, his name is Barron. He is a 58-year-old pyromaniac with a bad back. He is incapable of dumb labor. To make matters worse, he is Loej's husband, so if he dies she gets a huge mood penalty.
Screw you Randy.

On the dim bright side, at least he has steadfast, but he's also a pyromaniac.
His notable skills include: 9 shooting and 11 art.

Day 19:
Barron has started a small cotton patch. Turns out he has a passion in growing. I'm hoping to make him our backup farmer in case Sour dies. In addition, we finished the great wall of defense. I hope it's sapper proof.

Later that day, a thrumbo decides to wander by.

Day 20:
Oh no. A heatwave during an eclipse. This is never good.

Day 22:
An all melee raid has arrived. Good thing I have my wall of defense.
Tragically, I can't sick the thrumbo on them, since it already left. I didn't think it was worth the risk of fighting, since only 2 of my 5 colonists have guns.

Luckily though, I sicked a timber wolf and cougar on the three raiders.

However, the raiders finally were beaten by an angry bear. Now I have 3 big game animals and a potential new recruit with a joywire.

And, to make everything even better, some cargo pods containing 39 medicine landed. Today was a good day.

And, at the end of the day, the heatwave ends.

Day 25:
Two manhunting rhinos are attacking. Hopefully this will be a free food delivery.

With a little bit of kiting, we easily defeat the rhinos.

Day 26:
An emu tames itself. Our second colony pet.

Day 29:
We recruited Wedge, our prisoner. It was a 2.5% recruit change.
He is sadly incapable of dumb labor, art and cooking.
His notable skills: 10 shooting, 11 melee, 12 social, 9 medicine, 11 research.

His traits are ugly and masochist.

Day 30:
A big raid has arrived. This will be quite a fight.

Luckily though, we killed all but 2 raiders with the only loss being Sour's big toe. My favorite part of the raid was Blue.

She's an 84-year-old lady, who despite being juiced on both luciferium and yayo, still has bad movement and manipulation. She never actually did any fighting, because she was quite a-ways behind the other raiders.

Day 31:
Shortly after the raid, Barron produced his best art yet.

With a beauty of 660, this excellent sandstone grand sculpture refers to the recruitment of Wedge.

Day 33:
We get our first visitors from a local outlander town. I'm pretty surprised it took this long.

And, I finally realized the fiberous mechanites have disappeared. I have no idea when this happened.

Day 35:
The base is coming along very well. Barron has turned out to be very useful in making my base look better, and has made sculptures that we will be able to sell later.

Well, he also made of sculpture of himself making his grand sandstone sculpture...

Titled: 1 By Barron
It reads:
This piece resembles Shun Barron crafting a grand sculpture at his work bench. Barron's work   is of excellent quality. The grand sculpture is emblazoned with its title: Loyalty By Topl. He is covered in sweat. There is a valley at the left part of the image, and the style is minimalistic with cel-shaded elements. This illustration refers to the time Barron crafted a grand sculpture on 2nd of fall 5500.

Day 36:
Late into the night, a poison ship lands literally in the middle of our defenses...

The beginning of the battle...

Only about 3 seconds later, one of Barron's grenades destroyed one of the downed sythers and incapacitates the centipede. That was the easiest poison ship I've ever fought.

Day 37:
Randy decides to celebrate our triumph over by sending us 2 thrumbos. Maybe we'll kill them this time.

Day 40:
I tried to get the thrumbos, but to no avail. When they began to leave, we shot them in the back, but they didn't aggro. Topl chased after one, but it escaped before we could incapacitate it.
Right afterward, Topl and Wedge get the flu.

Day 42:
Another day, another chased refugee that's getting denied because the backstory sucks.
No thanks Bull.

Day 43:
A pirate merchant from a local outlander town has arrived. I hope we can sell them some of our junk.

We sold our self-tamed emu, some dead-man's apparel, and our stash of chemfuel we got from a drop pod. We got about 1100 silver.

Day 45:
After buying some plasteel from a bulk goods trader and beginning to assemble the multi-analyzer, Barron has a heart attack!

Luckily though, Loej saved Barron using her good medical skills.

Day 46:
Topl decides to throw a party. Things are really looking up for the colony. The next thing we need to do is find plasteel.

Day 51: Through the flames
4 mechanoids are attacking. 3 sythers and a centipede with an inferno cannon. This might get ugly.

But, after taking out 2 sythers, Barron breaks and decides to go on a fire starting spree.

The centipede's shots lit up our base. This is your fault Barron.

The colonists had to retreat back to the research station. After taking out the centipede, the remaining wounded colonists got in position to prepare to fight the last syther. Tragically, Loej was gunned down by the syther. I blame Barron.

Farewell Loej. You were the backbone of my colony thanks to your great construction skills and overall good stats.
Your notable skills included: 7 shooting, 14 construction, 11 crafting, and 10 research.

After some insane kiting by Hasket, Topl downed the syther with his rifle. There is the small problem of my fortifications burning down.

Later Ripley the husky dies of blood loss (he got shot up by some sythers), which will mean Topl will be depressed.

The flames gutted the bedrooms and destroyed all the fortifications. Luckily, despite almost all of my art being made of wood and catching fire it was unharmed. Yay for bugs?

This is my base now.

Day 53:
Right after Sour recovers from his injuries, the first thing he does is visit Loej's grave. This isn't a big event, but dang, it really is tragic.

Later, a group of 4 sappers attacks. Thanks Randy.

We kill the sappers, and capture one of them. However, the injuries are piling on.

Day 58:
I realize the prisoner we captured mysteriously disappeared while I wasn't paying attention. I think he bled to death and got cremated.

But, later that day an escape pod lands containing a decent pawn. His only major downside is his drug addiction.

Now, time to talk about my plans for the future of the colony.
My main idea to finish researching shipbuilding, then leaving this colony to find another location with more plasteel. That way we can build the ship while facing less raiders and not have to spend forever mining for plasteel.
However, in order to do that, the colony must continue to survive.

Day 61:
More mechanoids are attacking. This is the end for us.

Even after being slightly damaged by some unfortunate visitors, the sythers are still deadly.
Barron is shot in the back as he tries to run to different cover after the colonists get outflanked.

After the sythers are killed, the centipedes arrive. After a failed attempt at stopping them using grenades, the 4 wounded colonists retreat back to the hospital and research room. Topl has a mental break while getting into position.

Despite their best efforts, the three colonists just don't have the firepower to face 4 mechanoids. Even with the rain to limit the damage from the inferno cannons, the centipedes are victorious.

Then, a local outlander town sends 3 people to fight the centipedes.

Wedge burns to death after getting up from his injuries, only to be shot once again by the centipedes.

Topl and Sour both have a bunch of infections, and Haskel is starving, so he won't heal.

Later, Topl dies of blood loss.

Day 63: The end
Sour dies of infection.
At the end of the day, Haskel dies of starvation.
Marcus, the prisoner, is passed out in the prison from starvation, doomed to die a slow and painful death.

On the bright side, this is one of the few stories where my base doesn't burn down.

Now, for my pawn overview.
Sour:
The main farmer and a useful laborer. He was a good overall pawn, despite his missing right second toe.
Notable skills: 7 melee, 7 mining, 14 growing.

Topl:
A good researcher and one of the main stone block crafters. He was a good soldier too.
Notable skills: 12 shooting, 7 medicine, 12 research.

Haskel:
He would never stop hitting on Loej. He even did it in from of her husband during the party before the whole colony went to hell. Otherwise, he was decent building, and good researcher. His real skill was his tailoring, he crafted a lot of dusters and cowboy hats.
Notable skills: 7 construction, 12 crafting, 12 research.

Wedge:
A super chill and peaceful colonist thanks to his joywire. Despite his inability to do dumb labor, he was a pretty decent pawn. He was the warden and the lead researcher, he was also a good doctor and soldier.
Notable skills: 11 shooting, 11 melee, 12 social, 9 medicine, 16 research.
Last but not least Actually, definitely least. Barron helped burn down half the colony and probably doomed us all. Screw you Barron. You're the next incarnation of McDaniel.
Anyways, Barron did art. That's it. He did art, but he was great at it. He made everyone's room nice, and helped pretty up the hospital and workshop. Otherwise he was a decent soldier, but him having bad back sucked. Pyromaniac is truly the worst trait in the game.
Notable skills: 9 shooting, 17 art.

In conclusion, mechanoids are ridiculous compared to raids. In my experience playing, I think (this is my opinion, not fact) sythers are the toughest enemies in the game. They have crazy accuracy and 1-hit-kill potential. Even if they don't one-shot you, they have a good chance of taking off an arm, leg, ear, eye, or jaw.
In addition, they have insane melee. They have a melee DPS of 14.3, which is higher than a thrumbo. Sythers will wreck colonists in melee with only a few cuts in the torso.
They have a moderate move speed, but they are somewhat tanky. I would say, unless you roll crazy good or bad shots, that they are about 1.5 times tougher than a human pawn.
Their only weakness is that they don't use cover. This isn't a huge weakness since they'll usually outsnipe pawns (even ones behind cover) in a 1v1. You could try to use EMP grenades, but good luck getting someone close enough to toss it without them becoming either a corpse or a crippled pawn.

Anyway, aside from the anti-syther rant, this game was looking like a good one, but Randy decided to screw me over. Those two back to back mechanoid raids were just the death sentence. That being said, I still think Randy is more fair than Cassandra.

Endgame statistics:
Play time: About 9h and 20m
Enemy raids: 6
Major threats: 8
Colonists killed: 6

This story took up 58 pages on Microsoft Word (mostly because of the pictures) and has about 2400 words.
I hope you enjoyed reading this, because I was pretty salty when the second mech raid happened. I was really hoping for this game to be the one where I finally win.

Slimy_Slider

It's been a while since you posted any stories. Good to see you are still going with them. Thumbs up from me.

asanbr

Great story. Thanks for posting.

Inspires me to want to write one too.