Happy Families: This is becoming silly now.

Started by Listy, July 21, 2017, 06:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listy

Ok yes,  I play large colonies for long periods, and yes as about 80% of my colony is from the pirate band (its the only source of recruitment as slavers stop showing up and I never see them) so it does make some sense.

But when you get endless raids every ten minutes (I have to play on Randy for a large colony), that have loads of family ties it removes the feeling of a large universe. By my estimation there's only about ten actual families in the game. You also get silly stuff like suddenly people becoming related, despite living with each other for years, then a raid happens and surprise! You're now related!

Might there be a way to limit the family ties in the generator?

Yoshida Keiji

What's your average colony size? Im comfortable with two to three colonies and as you surely know their inhabitants shuffle constantly, moving from one another and never a fixed population per city. But still Im relaxed as long as I have around 10 people each. I know this is just asking for more details than answering your petition, however I do support you on this. I already faced myself parents coming to kill their sons... lol... I think we need a way to recruit those who have social ties without engaging in combat. As well as letting go if the foreigns request so with some exchange. We also need prisoners exchange.

Listy

I was at about 40 odd, then I forgot my mining group when I ordered the colonists to assemble for the defence so I lost about 3-5 colonists.

In the previous alpha the colony was 49 and lasted about 25 years. This one is about 15 years. I mention this because its been an issue for some time.

SpaceDorf

Yeah, I have similiar issues. Not as extreme as yours but One colonist is always on the verge of breaking down because his wife and sister died ..
now his ex-wife came down in a drop pod ..

I would prefer some cap on family relations, or at least a setting for the scenario editor.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Lys

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 21, 2017, 10:16:26 AM
Yeah, I have similiar issues. Not as extreme as yours but One colonist is always on the verge of breaking down because his wife and sister died ..
Ex-spouses dying don't affect the mood by themselves. As a matter of fact, ex couples more often than not have a negative opinion of each other, as such you have a chance of getting that sweet "Rival" died buff... :P

Swat_Raptor

Yea I would really love 3 things.

1 there be a debuff applied to attacking raiders who have relations, they move slower because they are really not excited to attack family. Seems realistic and then it would help them be at the back of the raider swarm, or they are downed easier because they give up more easily.

2 when raiders decide to run away they don't run away but instead stop and initiate a join colony request, and if you say thanks but no thanks they change faction to space refugee or some other faction.

3 some time during the middle of the raid they betray the other raiders if the raiders take too many losses.

Yoshida Keiji

Monogamy sucks. I want to have five women in my bed. Want a shower furniture from aqueducts pulled from rivers and maybe sewage system. Orphans too, adopted, unrecognized out of marriage kids. People without names that you must choose by yourself. I mean, there's people named 47.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Lys on July 21, 2017, 10:42:55 AM
Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 21, 2017, 10:16:26 AM
Ex-spouses dying don't affect the mood by themselves. As a matter of fact, ex couples more often than not have a negative opinion of each other, as such you have a chance of getting that sweet "Rival" died buff... :P

I meant a escape pod .. she was a joiner. .. quite a useful one as is, but still .. -15 on both sides

Panzer

Yeah, relations are a bit on the ridiculous side, my lone explorer from a glitterworld was visited by her husband and her mother was on the run from tribals and begged to join (she still is, btw). Later on I found her uncle in a cryptosleep shrine.

I mean yeah relations are a nice thing to have in the game, but we re on a rimworld god knows where and meet family all the time, it makes sense for outlanders and for tribals, but it is really unlikely for spacers. In my opinion some distinction would be nice, tribals should have lots of family because they re basically human zerglings ;D , outlanders not so much and spacer family should be rare.

Some kind of interaction with visiting family would be nice as well, like a joy activity that gives a mood bonus, e.g. +5 mood for 3 days, "had a good talk with my niece/brother etc...".
Right now its like oh hey you re there and I ll be sad when you die, but I cant do much else with you.

kermanguy

Well, lets think of this. Rimworld is set in a non-FTL universe. All travel is slower than light, so it would be somewhat reasonable that most people, spacers included, would be from the solar system the game is set in. The spacers falling from space in drop pods are likely from whatever crash/explosion/whatever made the your ship have to drop you on the planet, and as most people would know each other on a star ship, it is likely that your colonists would know the people in the star ship. All of this coupled with the fact that the vast majority of people are from this star system, and the star system has an extremely low population, it isn't too unreasonable that there would be a lot of familial ties.

Now, that being said, I do agree that it can sometimes be ridiculous.

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: kermanguy on July 22, 2017, 07:56:42 PM
Well, lets think of this. Rimworld is set in a non-FTL universe. All travel is slower than light, so it would be somewhat reasonable that most people, spacers included, would be from the solar system the game is set in. The spacers falling from space in drop pods are likely from whatever crash/explosion/whatever made the your ship have to drop you on the planet, and as most people would know each other on a star ship, it is likely that your colonists would know the people in the star ship. All of this coupled with the fact that the vast majority of people are from this star system, and the star system has an extremely low population, it isn't too unreasonable that there would be a lot of familial ties.

Now, that being said, I do agree that it can sometimes be ridiculous.

I didn't like that, what you are saying is basically that: Every players spaceship launches are ultimately UNSUCCESSFUL to find other galaxies, and we are all just floating around the same planet like idiots.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on July 22, 2017, 10:53:29 PM

I didn't like that, what you are saying is basically that: Every players spaceship launches are ultimately UNSUCCESSFUL to find other galaxies, and we are all just floating around the same planet like idiots.

And that those 7-8 Billion People on the planet of origin are all closely related :)

cultist

Quote from: Listy on July 21, 2017, 06:01:22 AM
(I have to play on Randy for a large colony)

Or you could use mods. Pop increase mods are farily mild when it comes to balance compared to vanilla.

Tynan

I am hoping to rebalance this a bit. We may have overtuned it just a smidge...
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

giannikampa

I wanted to make this "too many relations on the Rim" tread myself, glad many share same point.

My personal opinion is that in the creation of a new game you should have good chances that the colonists you are randomly generating are relative somehow, but on the other hand during the gameplay meeting one should result in an unexpected coincidence.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english