Happy Families: This is becoming silly now.

Started by Listy, July 21, 2017, 06:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eadras

Quote from: Panzer on July 21, 2017, 04:59:46 PM
Yeah, relations are a bit on the ridiculous side, my lone explorer from a glitterworld was visited by her husband and her mother was on the run from tribals and begged to join (she still is, btw). Later on I found her uncle in a cryptosleep shrine.

I mean yeah relations are a nice thing to have in the game, but we re on a rimworld god knows where and meet family all the time, it makes sense for outlanders and for tribals, but it is really unlikely for spacers. In my opinion some distinction would be nice, tribals should have lots of family because they re basically human zerglings ;D , outlanders not so much and spacer family should be rare.

Some kind of interaction with visiting family would be nice as well, like a joy activity that gives a mood bonus, e.g. +5 mood for 3 days, "had a good talk with my niece/brother etc...".
Right now its like oh hey you re there and I ll be sad when you die, but I cant do much else with you.
I agree with all of this.  The family relations are a neat feature, but currently lacking in context and depth.

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: Tynan on July 24, 2017, 06:00:17 AM
I am hoping to rebalance this a bit. We may have overtuned it just a smidge...

Also, if you don't mind. I only play Lost tribe scenario and would really love a world generation "seed" where all Factions are tribal, because if it's true that the Gods send machines to annihilate us completely, we should all be starting from the beginning as well.

It puts me down a lot when Im just starting a new game still with neolithic weapons and in the 11th day, I get a raid with enemies holding an incendiary launcher and power armor...

http://imgur.com/a/bXzxf

Same applies for new comers from the ground, spacers are okay.

mebe

I like the relationships concept, just wish it could have better meaning. In a raid context it's not like you can ensure xyz doesnt get killed and the mood penalty for killing a relation is quite harsh. Maybe as others have said explore altering the behaviour of related pawns, especially in a combat situation.

The Nickman

Be good if you could somehow convince visiting relations from friendly factions to stay too, like if your colony was clean (no blood everywhere) and everyone's mood is good they decide "hey, it's nice here, I might just stay with my husband/brother/uncle"

Listy

Quote from: Tynan on July 24, 2017, 06:00:17 AM
I am hoping to rebalance this a bit. We may have overtuned it just a smidge...

Thanks boss, that's the good news I wanted to hear.

Trylobyte

Looking forward to this being rebalanced.  It's been one of my more common gripes that as the game goes on and raids get larger even if my colony doesn't, it's frequent for a raid to contain several family members.  This leads to my colonists getting mood penalties due to automated defenses, killboxes, and high explosives not being especially picky and a more direct approach being suicidal due to the volume of raiders.  I remember one poor colonist who had three relatives show up in the same raid.

Jorlem

Quote from: Panzer on July 21, 2017, 04:59:46 PM
Yeah, relations are a bit on the ridiculous side, my lone explorer from a glitterworld was visited by her husband and her mother was on the run from tribals and begged to join (she still is, btw). Later on I found her uncle in a cryptosleep shrine.

I mean yeah relations are a nice thing to have in the game, but we re on a rimworld god knows where and meet family all the time, it makes sense for outlanders and for tribals, but it is really unlikely for spacers. In my opinion some distinction would be nice, tribals should have lots of family because they re basically human zerglings ;D , outlanders not so much and spacer family should be rare.

Some kind of interaction with visiting family would be nice as well, like a joy activity that gives a mood bonus, e.g. +5 mood for 3 days, "had a good talk with my niece/brother etc...".
Right now its like oh hey you re there and I ll be sad when you die, but I cant do much else with you.
For spacers, I usually assume that they had been on the same ship that my initial three colonists were from, and they happened to land elsewhere on the planet and joined a faction instead of starting their own.

Listy

Quote from: Jorlem on July 27, 2017, 11:45:49 PM
For spacers, I usually assume that they had been on the same ship that my initial three colonists were from, and they happened to land elsewhere on the planet and joined a faction instead of starting their own.

I don't think its a story telling issue, everything can be explained away. The trouble is the frequency is bad. Not only does it break immersion it utterly cheapens the effect. Instead of "oh wow, someone's relative!" response when after 3 years on planet someone related to your colony shows up.
Instead you get the 'Raid (relationship)' message appear and you instantly know its not a mechanoid raid, a brief glance to see where it is and if its a sap or a siege and you utterly ignore the 3-5 relationships, because you know full well there'll be another 20 relationships along within the next month for the same guy.

Yoshida Keiji

This just in:

Woman crashed in my colony in an escape pod, a season later after opening the ancient structure...one of the occupants in an ancient crypto sleep casket was... her son!...and of course...died...