Can't install non-Steam mods

Started by lunfa_reo, July 21, 2017, 05:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lunfa_reo

Hi, I'm having this weird problem: I can't install non-Steam mods. Or, I can install them but they don't show up in the game's Mods interface.

Here is where I put all non-Steam mods I downloaded:

I have Steam Rimworld A17, and that's my Steam Library folder.

Of the non-Steam mods I have copied in the Mods folder, I know at least Camping Stuff A17 works for other people, so the problem is not related to mods not updated to A17.

I've searched this forum and on Google but found nothing about this problem (most results deal with not being able to install Steam mods, but not my case).

Any ideas what could be happening here?

Thanks!

milon

Huh, that's strange.  That should be exactly where to place them.  There is a thread that deals with installing Steam mods as non-Workshop offline mods (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=29440.0) but you've basically done everything there.

Are you launching the Steam version of RimWorld or the DRM-free?

Can you screenshot the folder structure of a mod or two?

BlackSmokeDMax

Make sure you don't have your mods double nested. Meaning, open those folders that we can see in your pic... is there another folder in there with the same name or is there a couple folders with names like: defs, about, patches, etc. ?

If there is another folder of same name, that is the problem. There should *always* be at least an "about" folder in that first level below what your pic shows.

lunfa_reo

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

Yeah, it's weird 'cause I think I did everything needed to be able to use those mods, as you said.

Here is another screenshot showing the folder structure for one of the mods:

I think it looks OK, e.g. no nested mods, etc.

I'm running the Steam version of Rimworld.

Maybe I encountered an elusive bug? Something that hasn't happened to other people, or has not been reported so far?

milon

That's possible.

Could you get a screenshot of the mod interface and attach that here?  A log file would be good to include too.

A last random idea - I believe RimWorld stores its current mod config settings as plain text.  You might be able to edit that manually when RimWorld isn't running and see what happens when you start it up.  Just make sure to disable Steam Sync first, or else Steam will revert any changes you make manually.  (I'm at work right now, so I don't have any details on exactly how to do that.)

lunfa_reo

Here is now my Rimworld mods interface loos like:

I see in the third screenshot that my non-Steam mods that haven't been updated to A17 appear in the list. The non-Steam mods that are updated to A17 that I have installed are:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=25580.msg259998#msg259998

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=29145.msg353097#msg353097

RemingtonRyder

Please Haul Perishables was updated to A17 a good long while ago, you need to check the Workshop page for a link to the new version.

My best guess is that you perhaps backed up and/or uninstalled and re-installed RimWorld to a new SteamLibrary, and some old folders were left behind making you think that this is the right folder. It would explain a few things. :)

lunfa_reo

Yes, I'm subscribed to Please Haul Perishables A17, and I have that version active while the one for A16 is inactive as seen in the screenshot.

I recently purchased a SSD and installed Win10 on it, and I might have reused the Steam Library folder in the other disk. But how could some possible folders left behind interfere with my ability to load non-Steam mods? And how to fix it, apart from deleting everything and have Steam download them again.

skullywag

youve got modlist backup, does that have any involvement here.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

lunfa_reo

Quote from: skullywag on August 01, 2017, 10:37:01 AM
youve got modlist backup, does that have any involvement here.

I gave it a try: went and disabled Mods List Backup. Unfortunately the problem persists.

Thanks anyway.