Idle Pawn Lag

Started by Mythos, July 23, 2017, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mythos

Hey there,

I'm having massive lag issues when pawn are idle. Be it colonists, prisoners or visitors. When they have something to do, like work or eat, then the FPS increase dramatically.
Is there a way to improve the performance of the game with pawns being idle?

I know that there was some mod out there for A15/A16 which increased the loop timer to search for new jobs, but I couldn't find it anymore. It was named something like "Idle Pawn Fix".
The performance currently is unbearable, playing GTA 5 on high settings with many vehicles has better performance than Rimworld.

My laptop is a MSI GE 70 2PC Apache with 16GB RAM, and an Intel Core i7-4710HQ @2.5Ghz running on 3.3Ghz. I mean 3.3Ghz is not bad to me since "real" i7 CPUs (Desktop) also run at this speed.
I'm playing on a map with the default size (250x250 I think), having 8 colonists, 7 prisoners and currently 14 visitors with 3 muffalos (one group). Running "RuntimeGC" helps from time to time, but not at this moment (also I've done it).
I've also set the process priority to high and changed the CPU cores Rimworld runs on, to not run with the others together. (would run most of the time either on 1st or 2nd core with the other applications)

Also are there any plans to improve this issue within the next alpha(s)?

Best Regards,
Mythos

milon

FPS due to idle pawns is because their AI is constantly running through the job tree looking for anything they can possibly do - a very CPU-intensive process.

But my compu-tato (read: crappy PC) doesn't have that problem.  Are you running any mods?  Are you running other apps/services in the background?  Have a look at your log file (see link in my sig) and if it's not "clean", or if you're uncertain about that, upload it here.  It's often the case that there's a bunch of silent error messages happening in the background.

Mythos

Hi,

I've reduced the amount of animals/vegetation in the "Configurable Maps" mod which improved the FPS as it has less creatures to process.
Weird thing is, that the game ran smoother on some maps with the option to have much more wildlife. Just this one was unbearable.

I have plenty of mods where only CE throws exceptions from time to time as it doesn't recognize the animals added by "Animal Collab Project".

Background processes have been shut down like Kaspersky, Nextcloud, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. but it didn't really help as they all were not using the CPU much. (only Rimworld with a 20%)

Best Regards,
Mythos

Calahan

Have you checked your log file to see if it's logging any errors? (post it as an attachment if you're not sure about reading the log). And have you tried recreating this lag in a vanilla game?