Going through the open door is unrealistic

Started by elminsterrr, August 05, 2017, 01:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elminsterrr

Hi,

Rimworld game is great! I've played it for 300 hours, but there is one thing I can't understand.

Why going through the open door slows pawns down?

I have been crossing open doors all my life and it has never, not even once, slowed me down.

Any ideas WHY they made it like so?

Boston

in-game, the pawns have to stop and open manual doors before they can pass through. Autodoors open automatically, hence the name, meaning pawns don't have to stop to open them.

elminsterrr

I know, but in-game there is also an option to hold the door open permanently (not closing them).

And I'm talking about that situation.

RemingtonRyder

I think it's because you have two opened doors next to each other. I remember reading something about there being an exploit to do with doors being next to each other.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: elminsterrr on August 05, 2017, 01:23:14 PM
Hi,

Rimworld game is great! I've played it for 300 hours, but there is one thing I can't understand.

Why going through the open door slows pawns down?

I have been crossing open doors all my life and it has never, not even once, slowed me down.

you are one of that persons who slam all the doors behind them ?
I say opening and closing a door the normal way slows you down .. especially when you are carrying something
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

elminsterrr

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 05, 2017, 01:49:56 PM
you are one of that persons who slam all the doors behind them ?
I say opening and closing a door the normal way slows you down .. especially when you are carrying something

Yea, but I'm talking about a situation where doors are left open. I never close doors between rooms inside my apartment.

Quote from: MarvinKosh on August 05, 2017, 01:45:11 PM
I think it's because you have two opened doors next to each other. I remember reading something about there being an exploit to do with doors being next to each other.

You are right! I didn't notice that! But it is still kind of strange....

SpaceDorf

Quote from: elminsterrr on August 05, 2017, 01:58:00 PM
Yea, but I'm talking about a situation where doors are left open. I never close doors between rooms inside my apartment.

I admit my faulty logic :)
And I did not notice the the two open doors.

I never noticed this behavior myself, even though I have multiple double-doors myself.
Most of the times I keep one opened and the other is a autodoor

double wooden door from kitchen to freezer
double wood and brick combo outside.

everything else is single doors.

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: MarvinKosh on August 05, 2017, 01:45:11 PM
I remember reading something about there being an exploit to do with doors being next to each other.

This. I remember submitting the whole directly adjacent door slowdown thing as a bug during the early unstable stages, and Tynan himself said that it was to stop exploits.

SpaceDorf

Sometimes I can't quite follow the logic of the great maker ..

exploiting what ?
10 doors airlock ?

RemingtonRyder

Well if it's an exploit then it's logically going to be something to do with enemy AI being unable to respond to something that the player can do.

Snafu_RW

Did you remember to floor door tiles too? Lght autodoors (eg wood) should open almost instantly unless placed next to each other; flooring increases movement speed as well as reducing dirt tracking. Heavier autodoors (eg stone) will be stronger but take more time to activate..

Pawns passing each other in 1 tile-wide corridors/doors also slow their movement, as expected
Dom 8-)

SpaceDorf

Quote from: MarvinKosh on August 05, 2017, 09:04:43 PM
Well if it's an exploit then it's logically going to be something to do with enemy AI being unable to respond to something that the player can do.

ooh ..
you mean something like using doors as embrasures, because enemies can't cross downed pawns,
or are to stupid to cross the threshhold of the door ( a15/16 insectoids ) ..

yeah .. slowing down for a bit will of course stop me from doing that ..  ::)

A Friend

"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Snafu_RW on August 05, 2017, 09:34:01 PM
Did you remember to floor door tiles too? Lght autodoors (eg wood) should open almost instantly unless placed next to each other; flooring increases movement speed as well as reducing dirt tracking. Heavier autodoors (eg stone) will be stronger but take more time to activate..

Pawns passing each other in 1 tile-wide corridors/doors also slow their movement, as expected

From the pic the door tiles look they have stone tile flooring, same as the surrounding tiles, so that shouldn't be slowing them down. And the doors are "held open" so opening time shouldn't be coming into play either. Must just be some balance thing, or I guess perhaps it is an overlooked bug. Unless someone digs up the code for why that is happening, guess we won't know without hearing from one of the devs.