Wider/Bigger/Blast/Vault/Whatever Doors.

Started by Jibbles, August 08, 2017, 05:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jibbles

Wider/bigger doors is something I've been wanting to see in rimworld.

I did some testing yesterday. All I can do at the moment with doors are small adjustments. like make them stronger, change texture etc.  I can't make them appear wider or bigger.  I'm on a mac so I have trouble viewing rimworlds source codes.  Also, I don't know much about creating dll mods which is what this kind of modding requires. 

Vanilla doors will sit place on one tile regardless the size when built.  one would have to consider speed of the door opening when making this mod.  Normally, there are multi textures for the same object when it comes to rotating them.  Doors only use one and auto rotates when building? I'm not sure how that would come into play if you wanted to implement a huge door such as 2x3. I imagine that it would want to use sliding door animation if considered as a door which wouldn't look right in most cases. I guess these issues explains the lack of wider doors.

Forgive me if I'm being too naive:
So what if we make them as an impassable object (instead of a door) that acts similar to a trap? Modify the trigger code borrowed from spring traps and make it so that it only activates for colonists which would then make them open and passable.  A deadfall trap uses; same HP when rearmed, uses different graphic when triggered and can also trigger sound. So can we make it so that these "wide doors" appear to be lowered into the ground and play a sound when the door is triggered?  I don't know what all entails with auto re-arming but maybe you experienced programmers know a way to make the door appear to close automatically. I'm not sure how raiders would treat these doors if implemented. Is this idea too far fetched?

Vlad0mi3r

Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Jibbles

ha figured someone tried it before.  Though I'm not sure if someone has tried using the trigger trap method like explained.

Also to clarify what I mean by making the "doors" appear lower. It would look similar to how these gates open and close in factorio. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raAd7W1b_20 Example seen around 0:40