Show me your killboxes!

Started by Dartonian, July 25, 2017, 05:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dartonian

Show me your killboxes and how you made them/why they're special! I'm doing research for a second YouTube video on Rimworld killboxes and I want community ideas!

Juan el Demgrafo

In my base I have a wall surrounding my farms with, I suppose these are still killboxes, scattered along the perimeter so that sappers won't have anywhere to go. I either have them like this,

or in a right angle.

I have switches to turn them on if I ever have any power issues (currently I don't so I leave them on) or if there are manhunters I don't want destroying my turrets and would prefer to ignore.
240 hours on Steam of this 2017-7-23.

Quote from: Shurp on July 29, 2016, 06:30:22 PM
...tell her to go stand in the corner of her bedroom, and beat her when she tires of it.

I really need to finish researching beer.

Lowkey1987

It is with the medieval times mod. But its between two mountains AND *dam dam dammmm* ...there was deep water.

So no meele unit can attack the north!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1090822638

Have to pump water, so this is not how the map starts. The Mortas can attack the point where the enemy goes into the water.

Dartonian

Quote from: Juan el Demgrafo on July 26, 2017, 11:14:58 AM
In my base I have a wall surrounding my farms with, I suppose these are still killboxes, scattered along the perimeter so that sappers won't have anywhere to go. I either have them like this,

or in a right angle.

I have switches to turn them on if I ever have any power issues (currently I don't so I leave them on) or if there are manhunters I don't want destroying my turrets and would prefer to ignore.

Do those defend adequately against raids? How many are typically destroyed by hostiles?

Dartonian

Quote from: Lowkey1987 on July 26, 2017, 12:39:53 PM
It is with the medieval times mod. But its between two mountains AND *dam dam dammmm* ...there was deep water.

Have to pump water, so this is not how the map starts. The Mortas can attack the point where the enemy goes into the water.

Damnnn that's sick

Listy

Quote from: Lowkey1987 on July 26, 2017, 12:39:53 PM

Welp, that's torn it.

I've been working with deep water for the last two Alpha's. But I'd not mentioned it because I know of Tynan's hatred of humanity, and us players ability to defend ourselves, it means that defence is going to get smited sooner or later.

With the cat out of the bag:

The deep water to the south extends some distance, this gives me firing bays so I can deal with manhunting animals.
During an attack my assault troops mass in the room just to the bottom of the entrance. The enemies all run in, take up firing positions at the the sandbags, and well, one of two things happens. The explosives are carefully set up. a turret explodes wider than an IED. The IED could be replaced by a normal shell, but its one of the trigger systems for the explosives.

1: A melee type hits the IED trap, triggers the explosives, but leaves the gun turrets.
2: A turret is destroyed and takes out the entire line of explosives.

The turrets also provide a good way of soaking Doomsday and triple launchers.

Then the few survivors stagger into the main kill box and meet fusillade of fire. At some point they will run.
When they do the close combat troops deploy from their short cut blocking the line of retreat. You can get 100% kills from it.

Juan el Demgrafo

Quote from: Dartonian on July 26, 2017, 03:12:45 PM
Do those defend adequately against raids? How many are typically destroyed by hostiles?

Early in the current colony maybe a colonist or two might be downed in a particularly bad raid, but now that I have a barnful of muffalo & alpacas anyway, I might as well use the extra babies as war dummies. Don't take long to train and they usually reproduce fast enough for the current frequency of raids. Though, this turret layout definitely did work out hella lot better in A16.

...tell her to go stand in the corner of her bedroom, and beat her when she tires of it.

Dartonian

Quote from: Juan el Demgrafo on July 27, 2017, 08:47:23 AM
Quote from: Dartonian on July 26, 2017, 03:12:45 PM

Early in the current colony maybe a colonist or two might be downed in a particularly bad raid, but now that I have a barnful of muffalo & alpacas anyway, I might as well use the extra babies as war dummies. Don't take long to train and they usually reproduce fast enough for the current frequency of raids. Though, this turret layout definitely did work out hella lot better in A16.
I feel that. Do you have a picture of your base?

horus

this is some insane lategame base. it's hard to judge of it's efficiency without the full picture, but I have to wonder how well it deals with robot attacks? with so much wealth and far into the game I can assume you get hit by 50 scythers and 20 fatties unless you are playing on easy diffculties and your base defenses were never actually tested in the first place.

Juan el Demgrafo

Quote from: Dartonian on July 27, 2017, 02:56:14 PM
I feel that. Do you have a picture of your base?

I could've sworn there was a way to get rid of overlay and colonist names and such. Six years at this point.

kubolek01

Who need killboxes today? Sandbags are enough!
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.