Tribal Survival Community Challenge

Started by Rhadamant, July 25, 2017, 08:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhadamant

Hi RimWorlders!

For those who are unfamiliar with me, I've setup a few community challenges in the past, living on an ice sheet in super cold conditions and living in a horrible desert. Here I am again with a challenge for anyone willing to try it!

The Tribal Survival Community Challenge will definitely be a twist in how you probably usually play RimWorld. You'll start off with two tribe members, no resources, weapons or anything else. Here's a little community challenge youtube video that highlights everything for you in 120 seconds or so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohmoB0n9NJE

The rules are simple:

• No Electricity.
  • No Firearms.
  • No Corpse Looting. (Weapons or Armor)
  • Wear and use only what you craft.
  • No Wanderer Join
  • No Refuge Pod Crash

The challenge is to eventually make it to the AI's ship and blast off for a game win. No rush, however, take as twisted and winding journey as you'd like.

Challenge Save File:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2GIi1Vb-lZtWlh1Skk0VFNNMGc

Scenario:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1089766145
Or find it under "The Exiles"

Dartonian

I'm down, should I post YouTube videos and keep yall updated on it?

Rhadamant

Totally up to you, I'll be entertained either way.

SpaceDorf

Sounds like a challenge.

The question though about the rules :

Harcore ?
Mod Restrictions ?
And what If the AI is not reachable by land ? because no electricity means no drop pods.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Rhadamant

I'll be playing Hardcore, no mods (the only mod I have displays temperatures in both C and F). I think the AI should always be reachable by land, but if it is not .. oh boy .. I suppose you can use drop pods. I don't think that'll be a problem though, I think it's scripted to be reachable.

mebe

Count me in, enjoyed watching and then, eventually, completing your Sea Ice challenge and this one sounds fun too.

Rhadamant

Hey mebe, I'm glad you liked that one. This one is a little less challenging I think, but still fun.

mebe

Quote from: Rhadamant on July 26, 2017, 02:48:40 PM
Hey mebe, I'm glad you liked that one. This one is a little less challenging I think, but still fun.

Just watching your first installment now - notice you are manually adjusting plant cut, I always leave that a priority 1 because if I queue up some cutting I almost always want it done now, not at some random time in the future.

Dargaron

So, I am weak, and the last time I touched the "Extreme" button, my computer actually started laughing at me (I think it also displayed a "Watch out, we have a badass over here" meme. Is it bad that my computer has learned sarcasm?). Is Extreme mandatory? Is there a category for "runners-up" on a lower difficulty (say, Rough)? Also, do we need to start in Temperate Forest? I went for a Boreal Forest before realizing that might be a problem...

Guns are off the table: I take it you also can't buy prosthesis and plug them in? Not that I have the silver for it, but one of my pawns already lost a leg :-(. Are we limited to peg-legs, or can we buy the Simple legs/arms?

Finally: for some reason, even when I'm using your scenario, electricity itself is still researchable. Is that WAD?

I guess this will be an excuse to "git gud" with my trap-making skills...

Names are for the Weak

Also, the world ought to be set to 100% size, to make the journey longer.

Rhadamant

Quote from: Dargaron on July 26, 2017, 04:38:39 PM
So, I am weak, and the last time I touched the "Extreme" button, my computer actually started laughing at me (I think it also displayed a "Watch out, we have a badass over here" meme. Is it bad that my computer has learned sarcasm?). Is Extreme mandatory? Is there a category for "runners-up" on a lower difficulty (say, Rough)? Also, do we need to start in Temperate Forest? I went for a Boreal Forest before realizing that might be a problem...

Guns are off the table: I take it you also can't buy prosthesis and plug them in? Not that I have the silver for it, but one of my pawns already lost a leg :-(. Are we limited to peg-legs, or can we buy the Simple legs/arms?

Finally: for some reason, even when I'm using your scenario, electricity itself is still researchable. Is that WAD?

I guess this will be an excuse to "git gud" with my trap-making skills...

If you don't want to do it on extreme, no worries. The scenario editor doesn't allow you to disable research, just disable construction. I disabled every object that's constructed from Electricity, but I could not disable research without mods.

The Nickman

Hey man, I'll probably give this a go.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching your youtube series on the Ice Sheet, and I also had a few attempts at playing it, but never got very far haha

Rhadamant

Hey The Nickman, this challenge should be a bit easier than Ice Sheet I think. Good luck!

Dargaron

Quote from: Rhadamant on July 26, 2017, 10:24:29 PM

If you don't want to do it on extreme, no worries. The scenario editor doesn't allow you to disable research, just disable construction. I disabled every object that's constructed from Electricity, but I could not disable research without mods.

Ah, that makes sense. I was worried I hadn't downloaded the scenario correctly.

So, what's the word on Simple Prostheses? I'm about to make my first leap to a new colony spot, and in the meantime, I'm selling anything I can't carry (which is quite a lot and, sadly, includes the beer  :(). Thus, I actually have silver now.

Wanderer_joins

It would be nice if we could set a condition to reveal the hiden ship, like 100k wealth or a time condition in the scenario editor, otherwise nice challenge to deal with ships and sappers