[B19] Omni Core Drill - a deep core miner for *all* materials

Started by DoctorVanGogh, July 27, 2017, 07:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

I can see the need/want the feature to resume drilling jobs, but creating unfinished objects like the things from smithing/tailoring is feeling wrong.

And from the logic is it totaly nonsense. You just could start a total different drilling while a current drilling plan is still active.

Can't you find another way to store the current drilling progress internal at the drill, so the next user will continue it ?

DoctorVanGogh

Yeah, the whole system is a bit 'weird'. But ultimately you have to decide where to put the line for acceptance of "gamified" systems. And I think this one is okay.

I could go ahead (and have thought about) splitting drilling jobs into multiple phases... like drill through "waste" until you find the thing you want, then spent the work on that. If job is resumed, you have to spend a percentage of the "drilling" part to go back through your borehole. Ultimately every implementation of this feels needlessly complicated just for the sake of being complicated. (Aside from the fact that it just needs a shitton of time from me to actually implement the stuff).

Ultimately it's needed to prevent drilling workers from falling unconscious because they cant interrupt the job. And if you think of the "unfinished" thing as the actual conceptual drilling plan (or task)... well... a hole in the ground doesnt go away just because you went and drilled 500 feet to the right now...

Maybe I'll offer an option to toggle use of these things on & off...
Appreciate my mods? Buy me a coffee

Canute

QuoteUltimately it's needed to prevent drilling workers from falling unconscious because they cant interrupt the job.
Yep.
1.idea just reduce the work to 25% and the output to 25% too. But this made the drilling overall a bit ineffective then before, because of the rounding numbers.

2. overhaul the system. At first the drilling phase to reach a proper deposit which need a long work phase without output and can be interrupted.
Then the harvest phase with much lower work need and proper output.
(optional) The deposit can be depleted and the drill need to find a new deposit.
But if you change the target material you need to find a proper deposit for it first. And maybe it would be more effective to build another drill for other minerals.

Just think about it. At last that system would be different from AngleWyrm Mines.

TryB4Buy

If its okay to ask, is there a mod that will extract the finite resources on the map without making dozens of deep drills everywhere? I was hoping for a 'one drill to rule them all' mod rather than an 'infinite resources mod'.

Canute

Can you precise your wish a bit more.
Normaly i would think the vanilia deep drills are that what you want, but you don't want them.
Or do you just build deep drills without the scanner, or deactivated scanner and couldn't see where the deposits are and build the deep drill just pi x thumb on the surface to hope for success ?

Goranchero

I think he referred to range extension for the deep drill, so it does not drill just in its immediate radius, but extended, the closest available ore, possibly even across whole map. It would remove the micromanagement involved with placing, reinstalling or deconstructing deep drills.

cjstorrs

Quote from: Goranchero on December 07, 2017, 03:53:22 AM
I think he referred to range extension for the deep drill, so it does not drill just in its immediate radius, but extended, the closest available ore, possibly even across whole map. It would remove the micromanagement involved with placing, reinstalling or deconstructing deep drills.

This is exactly what I am looking for too.

pointcache

Hi DoctorVanGogh , i made a graphic for your drill because i really hate the default one and im in love with your mod.

Its 100% made by me, the license is the Unlicense, so no strings attached.

Attached is png and source psd.

[attachment deleted due to age]

GlitchKs

Please forgive the dumb question.

I have seen a mod in the past that supplied random mineral/metal/stone on success but can't find it anymore. I have found some that let me tell it what to drill for but those seem too "easy"

Is there a way to have a random result on this mod? or do you pick what you are drilling for?

(Currently using Quarry mod but again seems too easy, I like that yours seems to let me choose output & Work so I can make it more difficult)

Canute

I don't know any other mod with random result beside Quarry.
And when you think Quarry is too easy, you can still tune at the modoption from quarry to adjust how much you are geting out of it.

GlitchKs

In 16 or 17 there was a random Drill mod but it died off.

I will go play with Quarry options I may have missed those.  Thank you

DoctorVanGogh

Big big thanks to pointcache for the custom icon - I should look in here more often!

Also: 1.0 unstable version is out for testing playing. Get it from github.

Functional changes:
- Drill has a custom icon  :D
- Drill uses 'Unfinished drill plans' to allow stopping/resuming work.
Appreciate my mods? Buy me a coffee

Syrchalis

Thank you, I enjoy this mod a lot, it will be great having it again in 1.0.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

lllMWNlll

Hey Great mod...

I think the worker at the Omni Core Drill should be a miner and not the crafter.
When i set the work, only craft job can mine at it.

It's that what supposed to be?