[1.1] Real Fog of War (v1.8.0) - The Unknown

Started by Luka Kama, July 29, 2017, 12:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luka Kama

Description:

Real Fog of War mod aims to add a new depth to RimWorld, adding a new exploration phase and increasing the strategy difficulty.

Features

• The map is initially unrevealed and must be explored.
  • Both player's and AI's humans, animals, mechanoids and some objects have and are affected by a Field of View, shared among faction components.
  • Only things revealed by a Field of View can be attacked.
  • Field of View of humans, animals and mechanoids is adjusted to sight attribute and are affected by darkness (mechanoids are immune) and weather.
  • Animals participate to Faction Fog of War only if trained for release and with a master set.
  • Bionic eyes reduce the darkness debuff (one by half, two completely).
  • Standing and attacking humans, animals and mechanoids have a slightly increased Field of View as they "peek" in nearby spaces.
  • When attacking and not moving, the sight range is adjusted to weapon range over time (time based on weapon warm-up time and range).
  • Sleeping humans and animals have a base Field of View reduced to 20%.
  • At rough and lower difficulties player's automatic turrets extend the Field of View in their target area.
  • Added objects: surveillances cameras (research required) and watch towers.

Compatibility
This mod uses Harmony to attach behaviors to the game logic in order to hide objects, and should be compatible with other mods that use Harmony too.

Author/Mod Team
Myself (Luca De Petrillo)

Download

How to install:

• Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
  • Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

Change log:
Permissions:
Sources are available on GitHub.

Mufflamingo

Does this work like red alert or Warcraft fog of war, that when you explore you will get the visual on the region but not exactly real time? Like just a transparent whatever layout of the vision, you can see what was there not what is 'actually' happening there? Like do you even understand what im saying? Lmao.
Bleeeee. . . . .

faltonico

kaptain_kavern

Luka Kama

Quote from: Mufflamingo on July 29, 2017, 12:35:51 PM
Does this work like red alert or Warcraft fog of war, that when you explore you will get the visual on the region but not exactly real time? Like just a transparent whatever layout of the vision, you can see what was there not what is 'actually' happening there? Like do you even understand what im saying? Lmao.

Actually the mod works this way:

• Currently seen areas: are areas currently seen by colonists or cameras. You can see and interact with everything in these areas.
  • Explored areas: are areas that has been revealed, but no pawn is currently watching. They are covered with a transparent light fog. You can see and interact only with objects that was there when the area was explored, but new objects/plants spawning in these areas (like crash pods) remain hidden until the area is explored again. Also, non colony pawns, animals, mechanoids etc are not visible when moving in these areas.
  • Unexplored areas: are areas that was never explored. They are covered with a solid fog. Everything under them is hidden.

RTS games in general, in addition, have some sort of "ghost" objects for things seen and in the "Explored areas", but such feature can't actually be added the mod, as it would require to heavily patch the vanilla game code to make it works with vanilla game features (like hauling, mouse selection, menus, pawn interactions, IA, etc).

Mufflamingo

Quote from: Luka Kama on July 29, 2017, 01:14:08 PM
Quote from: Mufflamingo on July 29, 2017, 12:35:51 PM

Actually the mod works this way:

• Currently seen areas: are areas currently seen by colonists or cameras. You can see and interact with everything in these areas.
  • Explored areas: are areas that has been revealed, but no pawn is currently watching. They are covered with a transparent light fog. You can see and interact only with objects that was there when the area was explored, but new objects/plants spawning in these areas (like crash pods) remain hidden until the area is explored again. Also, non colony pawns, animals, mechanoids etc are not visible when moving in these areas.
  • Unexplored areas: are areas that was never explored. They are covered with a solid fog. Everything under them is hidden.

RTS games in general, in addition, have some sort of "ghost" objects for things seen and in the "Explored areas", but such feature can't actually be added the mod, as it would require to heavily patch the vanilla game code to make it works with vanilla game features (like hauling, mouse selection, menus, pawn interactions, IA, etc).

Cool thanks!

Gonna add it on my next playthrough.
Bleeeee. . . . .

Soupy Delicious

Add it right now! <:D I did, and I've never felt healthier.

Sinza

Great Mod, thank you for developnig this!
Maybe you could consider this idea:
Because the colonists drop from space in thier drop-pods while being awake i would see it as reasonable when there were no thick-FoW on the starting tile. An option for disabling the thick-FoW an the starting tile or in general would be nice.
Greetings, Sinza

hypnoshadow

the one thing you need to add are security cameras,and a security station for a pawn to man it for them to work

Soupy Delicious

if youd read the mods features first you would have found out theres already cctv cameras. :p

Headshotkill

Would it be possible to make a "Combat extended" version of this mod, basicly increasing the vision range 2x or something so it covers the distance most weapons can fire at.

carpediembr

Quote from: Headshotkill on September 11, 2017, 07:14:41 AM
Would it be possible to make a "Combat extended" version of this mod, basicly increasing the vision range 2x or something so it covers the distance most weapons can fire at.
Are they compatible?

Nekokon

I'm trying out my new game with CE and this, but I think there's no problem with using them together.
QuoteWhen attacking and not moving, the sight range is adjusted to weapon range over time (time based on weapon warm-up time and range).
So there should be no problem with super long range weapon.

I still think it's better to have think fog removed at least around the center of the map so you can actually start working on your base right away instead of losing around half a day to look around for a suitable spot (which might not even possible with mountainous tile). The exploration part is gonna be amazing when you get into a new map like raid request or resource since you really have to stay on your toe, but losing precious time right after landing would be quite a big hit.

lwki

looks amazing
hope it will work with my current mods