Organising mods on Workshop

Started by RemingtonRyder, July 26, 2017, 04:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

At the moment, even if you drill down to the combination of Mod + 0.17 on Steam Workshop, you've got over a thousand things to look through or search.

Two of the most frequently asked questions are 'what mods should I install?' or 'where can I find a mod which does X?' and when you consider the previous bit of information (the sheer number of mods) it's not surprising that there is a struggle to find something that you think will make your experience of the game better.

The only thing that I can suggest is that there needs to be some kind of additional categorisation when you're submitting a mod to Workshop. 'Mod' or 'Scenario' and the game version number just isn't going to work for modders in the future, because Workshop is going to continue to be populated with content, but much of this content will never be seen by the majority of Workshop users.

We've had the exact same problem here on these forums - lots of pages of cool and interesting stuff in the Releases subforum, but no way to drill down to a specific flavour.

Why should you care if some mods aren't seen? Okay, fair enough.

Every mod that became popular and well-used started out with just a handful of users using it and suggesting improvements, and things snowballed from there.

Tomorrow, next week, or in a few months time there could be one cool mod which doesn't get seen but could have been, if only Workshop or the forums had more places for things to go and snowball. :/

SpaceDorf

Since you included the forum and other places in your suggestion I will answer.

Last year I suggested a few things modders should comply with to make the thread titles more readable ( including [version]Name[modversion][update,date] .. )
Some things of which are not so importand in the workshop.

But maybe adding another tag like [QoL] [Gui] [Race] would make it easier to find special things a player is looking for.

In addition I personally don't like mods that add tons of unsorted shit stuff without a description of what is added.

Another thing that would be great was if modders included the name of their mod or another equally unique identifier into the description of everything they add. ( like MineCo, Greydale )
This way giving feedback, bug-reports or just identifying which mod add stuff I like/dislike easier.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

RemingtonRyder

You know, it would be nice to have those tags if they were actually implemented by the forum or by Workshop, but they aren't. Which means that you have them all in the title with a bunch of other 'recommended' things, which is ugly, and also assumes that people search for that exact tag spelling.

Whereas if you start writing a mod release post and you're like 'oh, cool, I can add those relevant and searchable tags to my post with a click' then why wouldn't you do that?

It seems to me like the forum is getting a bit old and crusty for a game which is popular.

SpaceDorf

Thank you.

Now I understand your argument better.
And I must admit that those things would make the life for the modding community easier.

I mean look at ModNexus in comparison. All the features and Tags you would want plus a own, offline cabable, not required for starting, pretty decent Mod Manager ..

ModNinja might be the new thing, that can do all this ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.