Jungle pathfinding can't see the path for the trees

Started by RemingtonRyder, July 30, 2017, 04:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

So I'm in a jungle biome in A17, and I've got to say I'm quite frustrated with the pathfinding.

See attached screenshot.

There's two much better paths for Smyrna to be taking to get to that rice field, but she's ploughing through the middle with all the tall grass.

What do I have to do, lay concrete everywhere? :P

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Shurp

Pathfinding is indeed awful.  I have the same problem on tundra; the colonists refuse to walk down the nice paths I've shoveled for them.

I've found one trick that works, but it is a bit of work.  Create a zone called "No stupid", as in, "No you stupid pawn, don't do that!"  Invert it to allow access to the whole map.  Then remove the space between paths where you've laid them down.  You don't have to remove all the space, just creating a boundary on either side will usually keep them in line.

When you do want the pawn to do something in the space in between (cut down trees, pick up dead animals, whatever), set them to "unrestricted", then back to "No Stupid" when they're done.

It's a bit of annoying micromanagement but it's effective.

Also on the subject of pathfinding, why do pawns insist on walking diagonal paths like this:

\
  \
   ------
          \
           \
            \
            |
            |
            |

Instead of taking a straight diagonal?  And don't tell me they're finding an optimal path around obstacles.  I'm playing on tundra, there's nothing there but snow.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Jibbles

I've never used the mod but wouldn't you be better off using path avoid mod? Seems a bit of work restricting the zones back and forth.

dearmad

iirc they broke pathfinding in a17. he says its fixed for a18.

Calahan

Here's Tynan reddit post regarding the above (and a link to it). https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/6kc2c4/pawn_pathfinding_is_pretty_questionable/djld2x2/

"It's broken in A17 due to some optimizations, we've improved it for next alpha."

RemingtonRyder

Shurp

To be fair, it's broken for raiders too, so it all balances out :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

RemingtonRyder

It's not a question of balance. It's a question of 'what is the point in putting down paving if I have to carpet the entire forest with it to get colonists to do what they should do anyway?'

SpaceDorf

Quote from: MarvinKosh on July 30, 2017, 09:14:58 PM
It's not a question of balance. It's a question of 'what is the point in putting down paving if I have to carpet the entire forest with it to get colonists to do what they should do anyway?'

Because its the Dwarven thing to do.
Defy the Green Menace !

You could also throw a few molotovs.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

RemingtonRyder

Can't do that. I'm playing the Amazon Challenge. There's a rules about weapons.

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.