Weird File Locations

Started by nccvoyager, July 30, 2017, 07:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nccvoyager

So, over several versions, the save and configuration folders for RimWorld have seemingly moved several times for some people, switched back and forth for others, and sometimes remain elusive for a while.

I recently upgraded to a new computer, and have only used A17B on this system.
I was moving a saved game to my flash drive, when I noticed that my saved game wasn't in the save folder I had navigated to.
So, I did a bit of digging, and I found the following weirdness.

%userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios\Saves
%userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\Saves
%userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios\Saves

The folder that RimWorld was actually using for the most recent saves was: "\LocalLow\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios\Saves"
That being said, the other two folders contained a mixture of autosaves, new and old, and a few manual saves from when I was just testing out A17B on this system.

I kind of have no idea what to make of this.
It doesn't seem to have affected RimWorld in any way, and I was always able to load the newest saved colony.

So, anybody have any thoughts, or perhaps weird locations of their own?

Canute

So any new release got it own folder, then the new version don't need to deal with old settings/saves/mods ! :-)

SpaceDorf

I would very much prefer that RimWorld saved it's Data locally in it's own Folder
instead of somewhere in My User Data.

----------

Honestly I would really prefer if any frackin' software would keep it's crappy data from my systems drive ..
I mean where is the sense in having a partition for my OS, when every upstart piece of code drags its dirty temp files and useless folders all across my clean file structure ?
If they would at least keep track of all the stuff they throw over the place and would clean up after themselves .. 

----------

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Canute

You can use the command line argument
-savedatafolder="path"
to change it.

SpaceDorf

which gets ignored by automatic reboot after mod-changes.

and seems to work only 50% of all times,

I modified my desktop shortcut to integrate the command line, now I have two different Folders where Rimworld puts it's stuff.

I know that the Automatic Restart is a function of ModListBackup, which I allready complained about, and even when Rimworld showed the correct path and acknowledged
the command line parameters .. my current savegame got saved in my User Directory.
( confirmed by time and date of the file )

Canute

true true,
another one bite the dust errr another bug on the list.
Thats why Rimworld is still in alpha ! :-)

SpaceDorf

as long as Rimworld itself is able to find my current savegame I am happy :)

The trend I ranted about was not started by Rimworld, nor will it be the last game..
Just another reason, why I try to avoid things like Steam.

so why not keep everything local in the rimworld folder ..

how easy would it be to have several copies .. one for testing new stuff, one for long term games, one for modding ..

I tried with the " -save " command .. maybe if I buy a bigger package ...

milon

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 31, 2017, 03:22:46 AM
I would very much prefer that RimWorld saved it's Data locally in it's own Folder
instead of somewhere in My User Data...

There's an argument to be made in favor of using %AppData% to keep files & documents separate per user, but I'm old school and I agree with SpaceDorf - I prefer to keep my files in separate (globally accessible) drive & folder of my own choosing.  RimWorld isn't really reliable about that for now, but I'm hopeful that will improve.

Also, thanks nccvoyager!  I've added that to the Black Screen? sticky thread.

SpaceDorf

Thanks, Milon.

I know and understand all the logical and convinient arguments for %appdata% which would be valid --IF--
multiple users had access to my home system :)

Sadly Microsoft follows more and more in the footsteps of Apple and they take the one thing away that Apple Users gave up a long time ago "CHOICE" .. and every Software follows ..

Crap I am spiteful when I don't sleep ..

Crow_T

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 31, 2017, 03:22:46 AM
instead of somewhere in My User Data.

----------

Honestly I would really prefer if any frackin' software would keep it's crappy data from my systems drive ..
I mean where is the sense in having a partition for my OS, when every upstart piece of code drags its dirty temp files and useless folders all across my clean file structure ?
If they would at least keep track of all the stuff they throw over the place and would clean up after themselves .. 

----------

I agree that keeping everything in it's own folder is ideal, if not just for having multiple installs with their own mods.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

Canute

The problem is even greater.
Some developer use appdata, but others use documets and other mygames/saved games.
And mosttimes when you deinstall the game, they left some data zombies over and over.

nccvoyager

Weirdness.
Well, I'm glad it's not just my imagination at least.

@milon; Yeah, no problem. Glad to help out on that front.  :D

Edit: I am also running Win7 Pro instead of Win7 Home Premium now.
Not a huge change, but if I remember my time working with the Windows back end while I was at school, Home Premium, Pro, and Ultimate can have subtle differences in folder structure and environment variables.