Muffalo Graphic Replacement ... where to put images

Started by jabbamonkey, August 01, 2017, 11:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jabbamonkey

It's been awhile since I created a mod... need to "relearn" things.

Right now I'm trying to replace the graphics for the Muffalo. I tried putting the images in the following folder, but it didn't work (still seeing the old graphics when I restart the game).

\Mods\Core\Textures\Things\Pawn\Animal\Muffalo_side.png
\Mods\Core\Textures\Things\Pawn\Animal\Muffalo_back.png
\Mods\Core\Textures\Things\Pawn\Animal\Muffalo_front.png

Can someone help with this simple issue.  I plan of redoing a ton of images, but need to start here...  Thanks.

dburgdorf

You don't want to put your custom files directly in the "Core" mod folder, at least not if you plan to distribute your mod.  ;)

If you put your new textures in your mod's "Textures" folder in subfolders that duplicate the path defined in the muffalo's XML def, that... might work.  Unfortunately, RimWorld seems really inconsistent about whether mod texture files with paths and names that duplicate vanilla texture files' paths and names actually get used.

A safer bet is just to use XML patching to change the muffalo texture location to a location that exists in your mod folder but not in the Core mod folder.  That way, you can be sure that your custom texture will be used.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

jabbamonkey

I'm purely a designer. If I need to create a mod, mess with xml files and have to deal with all that, then I think I might want to avoid creating any custom graphics. It was easier back in the a10.

Does anyone have an example "mod" for replacing a simple graphic? If it's not that complicated, I may move forward... if it's a pain in the a**, then I might not.

ADDED: I noticed that SOME images work well when you place them in your "Core" file... but others either don't work, or show up as a RED X.  The new muffalo images don't show up at all. The log graphic I created shows up as a red X ... but the packaged survival meal shows up fine.

dburgdorf

Quote from: jabbamonkey on August 01, 2017, 01:08:53 PMADDED: I noticed that SOME images work well when you place them in your "Core" file... but others either don't work, or show up as a RED X.  The new muffalo images don't show up at all. The log graphic I created shows up as a red X ... but the packaged survival meal shows up fine.

Yeah. Inconsistent.  ;)

XML patches are pretty straightforward, especially for something as basic as changing a graphic location. I'm at work right now, and so don't have access to game files, but I can throw together an example "framework" this evening for you (if nobody else does so in the meantime).
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: jabbamonkey on August 01, 2017, 11:00:35 AM
It's been awhile since I created a mod... need to "relearn" things.

Right now I'm trying to replace the graphics for the Muffalo. I tried putting the images in the following folder, but it didn't work (still seeing the old graphics when I restart the game).

\Mods\Core\Textures\Things\Pawn\Animal\Muffalo_side.png
\Mods\Core\Textures\Things\Pawn\Animal\Muffalo_back.png
\Mods\Core\Textures\Things\Pawn\Animal\Muffalo_front.png

Can someone help with this simple issue.  I plan of redoing a ton of images, but need to start here...  Thanks.

It is now :

\Mods\Core\Textures\Things\Pawn\Animal\Muffalo\Muffalo_side.png
\Mods\Core\Textures\Things\Pawn\Animal\Muffalo\Muffalo_back.png
\Mods\Core\Textures\Things\Pawn\Animal\Muffalo\Muffalo_front.png

Jabba, as I said in the other thread, I would love to see your textures back, so I propose my help as well.

I can put a little example mod in an archive and put it back here (or pm it to you)

Or doing code for you if it can be of any help. (I really want your arts/graphs back, man ^^ )

But i'm pretty sure you can still do it as in A10, just watch out for some folders structure which have changed a bit. And instead of putting textures in Core, you just make another mod folder with only the texture. If they are using the exact Vanilla path, they will overwrites Core graphics

kaptain_kavern

Ok, Jabba.

Basically, I've taken your old pack and turned it into a mod. The "thinking behind" will remain the same as before: You put a graphic file at the exact location a vanilla textures and yours will overwrite the classic one. So I'm sure you'll manage in no-time. And I'm still offering to help you out if anything ;-P

During the process, I've come across some problems because Tynan (the game dev's) have moved some things around. The woodlog for instance ;)  A folder called Humanoid is now called Humanlike, etc ... So I'm pretty sure that's where it wasn't working for you.

Some additional notes :

- You have to be very careful with the path and double check everything (inconsistency problem mentioned above :p and everything is case sensitive).
- I use the "Vanilla Texture Archive" from the other thread and it has no capital character at all in it. So it's better to double check (again) in the texPath from files. Don't worry there is a place where you can read them all in one go (see below)
- Go in this thread (by milon) and download the file. You have to open it with your web browser (it's a web page). In it just scroll down to select "texPath" in the left menu, in the main screen you will a bunch of lines with all textures location for the game (with their proper CaPiTaLiZaTioN :D )
- Please also note that the same Texture Pack is lacking some files (but it's the most complete I've seen for A17)
- A last thing that may be useful to you (but me I haven't even understood half of it, but I'm not a designer ;) ) : The "atlas" for "wall designators" has changed, or something like that. (Here is a link about that by someone who knows what he said)

Here is a link to the little mod I've "made" from some pieces of your old packs

I hope I don't force you :p

jabbamonkey

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on August 01, 2017, 08:23:08 PM
Ok, Jabba.

Basically, I've taken your old pack and turned it into a mod. The "thinking behind" will remain the same as before: You put a graphic file at the exact location a vanilla textures and yours will overwrite the classic one. So I'm sure you'll manage in no-time. And I'm still offering to help you out if anything ;-P

I'll take a look...

During the process, I've come across some problems because Tynan (the game dev's) have moved some things around. The woodlog for instance ;)  A folder called Humanoid is now called Humanlike, etc ... So I'm pretty sure that's where it wasn't working for you.

Some additional notes :

Yes, I've noticed some of the paths moved. Like...
\Mods\Core\Textures\Things\Pawn\Animal\Muffalo\Muffalo_side.png
However, if I place the images in THAT directory ... it still doesn't show. For the wood log, if I place the images in the new folder, sometimes the graphic shows, but other times it doesn't...

- You have to be very careful with the path and double check everything (inconsistency problem mentioned above :p and everything is case sensitive).

Oh. Didn't know that. Maybe that's the muffalo problem...  Is everything sentence case, or lower case .... or is it by case-to-case basis?  I see that you mention the texPath below ... I'll take a look.

- I use the "Vanilla Texture Archive" from the other thread and it has no capital character at all in it. So it's better to double check (again) in the texPath from files. Don't worry there is a place where you can read them all in one go (see below)
- Go in this thread (by milon) and download the file. You have to open it with your web browser (it's a web page). In it just scroll down to select "texPath" in the left menu, in the main screen you will a bunch of lines with all textures location for the game (with their proper CaPiTaLiZaTioN :D )
- Please also note that the same Texture Pack is lacking some files (but it's the most complete I've seen for A17)
- A last thing that may be useful to you (but me I haven't even understood half of it, but I'm not a designer ;) ) : The "atlas" for "wall designators" has changed, or something like that. (Here is a link about that by someone who knows what he said)

I'll take a look at the mod pack. Hopefully I can figure things out with it...

jabbamonkey

Ok. I looked at the Mod. Looks like its just an About.xml file, with the images in their correct folders.  I thought I would have to have an xml file for EACH image, correcting the paths.

Saw some issues... The production workbenches seem to be too large (it looks like the area for placement is smaller than the image ... so the image goes beyond the width/height a bit ... looks odd). Any idea how to fix it? (see the attached image). 
Note: I turned ON the mod, then I loaded an old game. I'm assuming that would not be the cause of this issue.

Also, for the workbenches ... any idea how to setup a MASK, so the type of table (i.e. steel, wood, plasteel) doesn't affect the color of the items on the table?  For example, see the attached image with the butcher table ... because it is made of wood, it is red. I'd like to create a mask so only the table turns red (and the items dont).  Is it as simple as creating a file with a specific name (i.e. KitchenStove_mask.png) ... or does this require an XML change somewhere?

The metal textures showed up, which I thought was cool.  Also, the muffalo images worked (I included the images below). I'm in the midst of retexturing some other items...

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

kaptain_kavern

I will reply more later (I'm on my phone ATM)

But in the mean time have a look at this tutorial about coloring and textures :

https://github.com/seraphile/rimshare/wiki/Colouring-in-Images

jabbamonkey

I've been playing around with the workbenches ....  It looks like they increased the size of the workbenches, and added space around them. Which means, that I will have to recreate the work benches. Not an easy task....

jabbamonkey

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on August 02, 2017, 03:45:49 PM
I will reply more later (I'm on my phone ATM)
But in the mean time have a look at this tutorial about coloring and textures :
https://github.com/seraphile/rimshare/wiki/Colouring-in-Images

Ok ... I've went in and re-designed most of the production benches. I used the source files to get the original image dimensions (and used the original images as a BASE, for spacing around the object).  So, I basically had a template. But, when I uploaded the production bench image ... this time they were too small!!!! (before, they were to large).  See the attached screenshot (there is alot of space around each bench). Any idea what's up?

Also, I used masks for ALL of the production benches. But, the masks aren't working for SOME of them (see the attached image). I assume this is because MASKS need to be activated in XML files. Correct? If so, can you upload an example of masking an texture (and I will duplicate it for all the benches). And, let me know if an XML file needs to be created for EACH bench ... of if I can add the masking info for all the benched into a single XML...
(Note: I saw the link you posted ... it didn't say how to setup the XML file, what to name it, or where to put the file in the mod directory ... nor if I NEEDED to add the color).

Here is the latest mod with some updated images (mainly benches)...
http://www.classicgaming.cc/mods/rimworld/JMMod.zip

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

jabbamonkey

Found out why the sizing was off... think I used ONE production bench as a template ... and it was off compared to the other templates. Ug. Have to go into image and rework them all. Any help with the masking? (see above)

skullywag

See your other thread for masking examples. Just a hint...try not to scattergun your support requests....ive posted 4 times now....lol
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

jabbamonkey

Sorry, this post seemed to have gotten burried, so I created the other posts (splitting the issues). Plus, since this post was labeled "muffalo graphic replacement", I figured other forum readers might ignore it (since the posts inside this thread have deviated from the original topic).