Ideas for plant blight

Started by Ford_Prefect, April 06, 2017, 12:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_Prefect

Currently, if you get plant blight 90% of all food plants die.
There are several problems with this.
1. Since it affects all food plants, there is no reason to have diversity in the plants you grow for food. 
2.  Plant diseases, are usually only deadly to one species of plant. So its unrealistic as well.
3. There is no counter.

Suggestions:
Split the plant blight into two different events.
1.  Plant blight kills off x.  - Make the current plant blight effect one of the species the player is growing. 
2.  Insects/locus have swarmed and are eating x, y, and z.  - All plants of selected species loose health until they die.  Any food left outdoors that contain those ingredients is similarly eaten.

Suggestion 2:  Instead of insta kill 90%.  Have the plants become diseased and spread the disease to nearby plants of the same species.  (Same code as the fire, but with different visuals).  When diseased, the plant slowly looses health.
Results:
1.  Fungicides - Another research item and consumable.  Used to prevent the spread of blights in the fields.
2.  Encourage players to grow more than one giant field of one crop.
3.  The player could desperately attempt to harvest what they can from the field before all the plants are killed.  Currently, its like, dang... nothing I can do about that.

AngleWyrm

There's a mod for that

Pests! by Nanodalt
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Ford_Prefect

Not quite what I was looking for... but definitely an improvement.

Britnoth

Made this a little while ago. Restricts the blight to 1 crop and drops the min refire days from 35 to 5.

Is that what you were wanting?

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Ford_Prefect

Quote from: Britnoth on April 11, 2017, 04:27:51 PM
Made this a little while ago. Restricts the blight to 1 crop and drops the min refire days from 35 to 5.

Is that what you were wanting?

Basically yes.  Gonna try the mod out.

Lowkey1987

I have another suggestion:
So ... the mod pests isnt updatet for A17. I think, maybe we can go another way. Like 1/4 crops dying, 1/4 crops will die in a week and 1/4 will have  a set back (from the current grow to the half. Like from 80% to 40%).

ATM Blight isnt good. Not a competition for small colonys and just annying for greater colonys.
When you have 5 pawns, you normaly didnt grow so much food. And i am .."Yeah..okay i will go hunting."
And with 10 pawns, its normaly your drugs, which are destroyed "Yeah... noo booze. Thats not nice."

Calahan

@ Ford Prefect - Firstly Don't Panic . And secondly, it appears Tynan has already implemented some version of your second suggestion for A18

"I'm happy to report that blight has already been changed to a spreading infestation (this has been planned for a long time)."
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/6l5scp/typical_tuesday_suggestion_thread_july_04_2017/djypx4i/