Re-wroking armor

Started by TrashMan, August 02, 2017, 09:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrashMan

As it stand now armor has a % damage reduction. It is simple, but unsatisfactory.
Some games use damage treshold (completely negate up to X damage). I recommend a combo.

Armor has a damage resistance (to damage type) and damage reduction (to damage type).
Any damage below the resistance value is completely negated - 0 damage.
Any damage above that is reduced by the %, with the remaining % taken from the armor.

So an armor with a 10 pierce damage resistance and 60% damage reduction:
- hit by a 5 damage shot - 0 damage to pawn, 1 damage to armor
- hit by a 30 damage shot - pawn takes 40% damage and armor takes 60%

Since armor has HP, it gets damaged with every hit - either only scratches or bigger damage. As armor condition worsens, so does it's protection. Both values take a 5% reduction for every 10% HP lost. So even an almost destroyed armor will still have 50% of it's original protection.

To add to this, ability to repair armor - time depends on HP to repair and material. Assuming 1 HP repaired every in-game second, a heavy power armor that has 1000HP might take a while to repair.

This is way more realistic system that gives armor more value, but also gives the ma mainteinance requirement, costing time and resources to keep in good condition.

Bolgfred

In questions of armor realism or gameplay relevance, I basicly agree on your idea for percentage and fix values. But here comes my but:

But, I don't think this will fit the current variety of the game. Most clothing that exists is wool or lether, and its casual clothing. Nothing should deny any attack that exists in the game. So I think its unnecessary to make the armor system more complex, as there will be only unnecessary balancing issues. On top of that the simplificity is gone. And in my eyes thats a important part of rimworld, following simple rules, that build big things(eg. Animals have only two behaviours: Eat, Idle, Sleep - but they feel very real, I'd say)

interlude but:
A solution inbetween could be that for every 10% of resistance there is +1 damage reduction added on pawn.

If you really want to follow this dark path of complexivity if think it would be very important, that every damage that is soaked by damage reduction goes directly into items duration. so if a kevlar vest eats a full shotgun shot, its durability goes down quick.
For repair I don't think that taking long time is neither important nor good. In my opinion crafters are way to busy at the moment anyway.
I'd suggest, that for every duration point that is repaired, the max durability goes down by 1/2 or something.
In this way you can make sure that all your equipment is 100% for best performance, but with every repair items get more fragile.
This solution would make sure that you cannot use items forever, which is basicly not idea of the game (But we wish it would be).
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Bolgfred on August 02, 2017, 09:52:08 AM
I'd suggest, that for every duration point that is repaired, the max durability goes down by 1/2 or something.
In this way you can make sure that all your equipment is 100% for best performance, but with every repair items get more fragile.
This solution would make sure that you cannot use items forever, which is basicly not idea of the game (But we wish it would be).

I had similiar thought in this direction as well .. still I find the point of losing quality after repair just bullshit.
My idea to wrok around this was to decrease durability.
Because of this :

You have to keep your gear in order to have it last longer.
Sometimes gear gets destroyed in battle and you have to craft new stuff.
Sure you could cheese with this too .. keep backup armor to switch clothes in battle ..
or drop your Power Armor in the middle of melee so you can repair it later  ::)

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.