We need more energy weapons

Started by HammerheadCow, August 03, 2017, 10:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HammerheadCow

In Rimworld, we don't have very many energy weapons, and we can only use one without mods. I thought this was the year 5500, not some year in the near future! It would be nice to see a charge pistol or something of that nature. I know mods add new weapons in, but vanilla energy machine guns would be amazing!
I'm not creative enough to make up a good signature.

Crow_T

I vote for the BFG9000. Actually, a DOOM weapons mod would be pretty cool. Melee chainsaws!
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

Boston

If you want to be technical, the charge rifle isn't a DEW (Directed Energy Weapon). It is a particle projector, which is technically a solid-projectile weapon.

Energy weapons are .... well, stupid, anyways. Those small-scale enough to be usable in human hands would do the same damage as a solid-projectile weapon, while being more difficult to maintain, supply and use.

Solid-projectile weapons are used in the Rimworld universe for the same reason solid-projectile weapons are used in the WH40k universe (which is 38,000 years in the future, to compare it to Rimworlds 3000): they work, and why fix what isn't broken?

Bolgfred

Quote from: Boston on August 03, 2017, 05:22:20 PM
Solid-projectile weapons are used in the Rimworld universe for the same reason solid-projectile weapons are used in the WH40k universe (which is 38,000 years in the future, to compare it to Rimworlds 3000): they work, and why fix what isn't broken?

Actually in WH40k scientists did find out that nobody needs a laser gun if you have bigger guns and invented the bolter. These use .75 and 1.0 calibers. This is doubled to today known 0.3(7,62mm) and 0.5(12,5mm) standard ammo size.
So if we do the math we know that in 38k years the caliber doubles, so in 3k years caliber size will increase by 7,8%. So its more porperly to see caliber 0.323 and 0.539, than Laser guns.
Hail to the God Emperor!
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Bolgfred on August 04, 2017, 09:12:00 AM
Actually in WH40k scientists did find out that nobody needs a laser gun if you have bigger guns and invented the bolter. These use .75 and 1.0 calibers. This is doubled to today known 0.3(7,62mm) and 0.5(12,5mm) standard ammo size.

But they also Increased the Size of the Weapons user.
The mass of the Imperial Guard uses LasGuns, because they are easy to use, maintain and recharge.

Also there are Anti-Tank Lazers, Meltas, Plasma and Energy Melee Weapons.
Not to speak of all the weird stuff the Xenos wield.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Penguinmanereikel

If we have Charge Rifles, then we can add the Charge Lance and Charge Heavy Blasters that Mechanoids drop. There could also be Charge Pistols, or Charge Machine Guns.

Maybe there could also be Energy Swords, which are like futuristic Sci-Fi swords (NOT STAR WARS).

SpaceDorf

kubolek01

Quote from: Crow_T on August 03, 2017, 05:16:37 PM
I vote for the BFG9000. Actually, a DOOM weapons mod would be pretty cool. Melee chainsaws!
But make them hard to get! BFG would be one shot to 99% of creatures (We know what is that 1% :P)
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: kubolek01 on August 09, 2017, 09:39:21 AM
Quote from: Crow_T on August 03, 2017, 05:16:37 PM
But make them hard to get! BFG would be one shot to 99% of creatures (We know what is that 1% :P)

Said creature had to be included in the game of course.