[A17] Blight Containment

Started by RemingtonRyder, August 05, 2017, 04:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

A newer variant of my mod Limited Blight. It allows blight to be contained by walls.

Description

With this mod activated, it is possible to contain crop blight by walling off growing areas from each other.

Crops will still die at the same time because infection is assumed to have begun some time before it became noticeable.

Here's how the spread of crop blight is calculated:

1. Crop blight starts at one host crop plant, the source of the infection.

2. Carriers, which are not killed by crop blight, have a moderate chance to spread the blight to other growing areas outside the initial radius. Carriers must be the same crop type as the crop originally infected. At higher difficulties, there will be more chances for crops to become carriers, and thus more potential devastation from blight.

3. There is a large chance to fail to create carriers if the carrier would be separated from the original host or another carrier by enclosing walls. A roof is not needed.

4. Crops which are in range of a carrier (not the original host) have a low chance to be immune to the infection.

5. Finally, crops which are in range of a carrier or the original host and are not immune will be randomly killed off (fairly likely to happen). There is a much smaller chance for this to happen if the target crop is not the same type as the original, so planting a variety of crops helps to reduce the impact of blight. Higher difficulties will slightly increase the radius in which things will be blighted, while lower difficulties will slightly decrease the radius.

Direct download

Steam Workshop

This is a test version. I have done my own testing and some optimisation, but feedback would be appreciated. :)

Nezerathian

NOOOOOO YOU MONSTER HOW COULD YOU KILL MY PLANTS!!!

SpaceDorf

Sounds awesomely realistic.

Do enclosing walls have an effect on the starting radius ?

I mean if the starting point is in the middle of potatoe field A, which is 8x8 and walled in, but the blight radius is 7, so the blight diameter of 14 would reach into fields behind the walls, corn field B and strawberry field C for example ... 

how would that play out ?

and can I identfy carriers or do I have to cut down everything around the blight to be sure ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

RemingtonRyder

Yes. Walls enclosing the starting radius will eat into the initial area affected.

Like Limited Blight, most of the crops affected will be of one species, so that field of corn or strawberries next door should be unaffected.

Even if there's a potential carrier potato plant in the same room with them, there's only a small chance of cross-species blight. And, as I mentioned above, enclosing walls reduce the chance of a plant in a different room becoming a carrier.

However, if the blight does spread to a carrier in another room (or anywhere outside where the infection could spread freely without obstruction) then that the carrier can spread to another carrier.

Carriers must be the same species as the plant originally infected, so it's possible to limit the damage by planting different crops in different fields.

kaptain_kavern

Another interesting mod by Marvin :p

Thanks, will try this baby

SpaceDorf

Thank you for your incredible detailed answer.

I will try it, most questions should answer themselves
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

faltonico

Is there a way to differentiate said carriers? cutting them would stop the spreading i suppose.

RemingtonRyder

The event plays out quite similarly to the vanilla crop blight event, in that crops which are afflicted all die at the same time.

If I'd had a few months to work on it then maybe I could have made a version where you can get ahead of the blight. This was something I (re)made in an evening. :)

RemingtonRyder

I did some more testing this morning and updated the description a bit.

In case you couldn't guess, I was inspired by Plague Inc. when I was making this mod. :)