[A17] Bionic Butchery - reclaim your bionics

Started by klassekatze, August 05, 2017, 06:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klassekatze

Bionic Butchery

Description:
Retrieve your painstakingly crafted implants from your dead. Salvage natural organs from corpses. With appropriate research, co-opt your enemies bionics, as well. HugsLib required.

More info
I vaguely recall Tynan said somewhere you couldn't harvest corpses because OP because raiders, or something. Now I can't say that's not understandable, but I was a bit displeased when I empty my storehouse to make a fancy bionic whatsit and then my colonist goes and gets his head shot off. No big deal, except I can't retrieve his metal whatsit. Even though I made the whatsit. My whatsit has betrayed me?

So now you can do that. This mod makes it so if you are a callous monster willing to butcher your honored dead, you may retrieve their implants and assorted widgets. Enemy bionics will self-destruct without security codes you lack, so to collect those will require "Hostile bionics repossession" research, a branch off the ship AI core.

While I was in there natural organs was bugging me so I added some bits for that. If a body has not 'rotted' the amount you'd get in say, 20 minutes at 21C, you can butcher it and get things like kidney, liver, heart, stomach. Lungs last an hour. In practice... this is only useful to snowmen or if your prison/killbox+butchery is a freezer. Otherwise you'll find that a hard deadline. This requires "NHBD transplant theory" research branching off hospital beds.

Author
klassekatze

Download
Attached file. Also Dropbox here.

How to install:
- Be sure you have HugsLib already.
- Unzip the contents and put them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

License
MIT License.
Can modpack makers include your mod in their modpack?: Yes.
Can other modders make derivative mods based on yours?: Yes.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

tonsrd

does this work with epoe / any conflicts with de-surgrys ( other medical mods ) ?

nice mod congrats ( sounds op im all in )

klassekatze

I tested it with EPOE, and it worked fine. I haven't tried other mods but in the worst case it should just not harvest something. If that happens to anyone just mention it here and I can take a look!

I'd expect it to work with most things though. My code is similar to the stuff the core game is using when you consider surgery and such, so a surgery mod would have to do something really outlandish to mess it up.

faltonico

Congratulations on the release!
Question, do reclaimed parts are ready to be used immediately with no further processing?

Wilponderroci

brilliant! just brilliant... cant wait to test!

klassekatze

Quote from: faltonico on August 05, 2017, 10:52:04 PM
Congratulations on the release!
Question, do reclaimed parts are ready to be used immediately with no further processing?
Yes.

More specifically, the code attempts to match whatever "Harvest" / "Remove part" in surgery would produce. So whatever you'd get from removal from a live patient, that's what you get from the corpse at the butcher table. If a mod gave you something needing reprocessing instead, the same would apply here, but I don't know of any mods like that.

Canute

100% retrieval chance ?
If yes, i would lower the chance based on the butcher/cooking skill. Unskilled butcherer may chop the synthetic liver into 2 useless pieces.

klassekatze

Quote from: Canute on August 06, 2017, 03:24:52 AM
100% retrieval chance ?
If yes, i would lower the chance based on the butcher/cooking skill. Unskilled butcherer may chop the synthetic liver into 2 useless pieces.
Maybe. It'd require fiddling to balance and would by design still leave room to lose precious things, sometimes ludicrously - a butcher shouldn't be able to evaporate a bionic leg made of plasteel into nothing whatsoever because he's a bad cook. (I've heard of burning water but...)

I could make it deconstruct things on failure and take a cut of the metals and any complex bits like chips, maybe. It gets tricky because its supposed to be one-mod-fits-all and it just makes the problem rear up again if another mod has super expensive multi-stage subcomponents and it loses them.

At the core of it I made this mod because I felt like the point of Rimworld was fun and legendmaking and losing an item you invested a lot into (research, mining, etc) and cannot afford to replace for thin reasons was unfun for me, really sucked. It would go against that to just turn around and lose the item at the butcher table.

I'm open to ideas, though.

Canute

Basicly that mod would be an huge improvement even if you could loose the implant during butchering since you wouldn't get anything without that mod.
I would say,  (50% + 2.5% each cooking skill) * butchery eff.

Ok, on a fail you can say you are geting 50-100% of the resources, but that can be tricky since most mods use item for the recipes. Or you just give these item back.

FoxXeL

Hi, my prisoners started a prison break and some of them unfortunately died. One of them had a Ped Leg and a Steel Arm installed. How can I harvest them from the corpse? I researched both NHBD transplant and Hostile Bionics repossession. There's no "Operations" in "Health" tab.

I then thought that maybe it works only for more advanced implants, so I spawned a mercenary in my freezer and added an advanced bionic hand on him and asked my colonists to kill him. Still no way to harvest it from him. Am I doing something wrong? Thank you, great mod, I really want to be able to use it!

Ratvar

I think you need to butcher your dead colonist with butchering table or something. Try it out, i will install mod myself and try to do the thing

FoxXeL

Quote from: Ratvar on August 07, 2017, 07:32:24 AM
I think you need to butcher your dead colonist with butchering table or something. Try it out, i will install mod myself and try to do the thing

You are right! Thank you!

Razzoriel

Any chance you can release a version for bionics-only? Butchering organs from corpses is kind of OP.

klassekatze

You can just not complete that research item. If you don't have the research, you won't receive organs.

Razzoriel

So if I remove the .xml entry for the research, it also becomes unusable, right? Ok, thanks.