Paintings

Started by CucumberedPickle, August 05, 2017, 09:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CucumberedPickle

Beauty - is a wild beast. With all the colonists and wild boars walking around and getting dirt all over wood flooring making it practically invisible, getting their legs cut and bleeding all over, puking and not doing important stuff, giving birth in the hallway, and conduits suicide bombing, there is always some filth making everywhere, every time, ugly. The only significant way of making your base prettier is statues. But statues take up space and eat up a bit of resources. So I suggest that has the potential of being suggested a lot before - paintings. Paintings will be made at an easel, a 1x2 thing that does not have a place to put a stool. Easels, like sculpting tables, will have 3 bills: make small, large and grand painting. Paintings require less resources (maybe 0.25 nutrition of vegetables to act as pigment and 30 resources, and their quality will really boost or damage their beauty. For instance, a normal sculpture and painting will have the same beauty, an awful painting will have n times less beauty than an awful sculpture, and legend. will have n times more beauty, where n is an integer between 2-6. Now know Ludeon and it's fairly small size, I can't really not have doubts, but you'll never have a chance if you never throw a coin in the wishing well.

This is a very long post, is it?
The number of possible signatures there are might as well be, for practical use, infinite, yet I chose this one.

SpaceDorf

In the grand scheme of things, nope, not a very long post.

This may also be a common suggestion.

First of in vanilla (unmodded), not only statues have a beauty value but also good furniture, superior or excellent furniture( and other items) and above can have included artwork on construction.
Flower Pots are a cheap and small alternative to art as well.
Better Floortypes also have a higher beauty rating.
And of course your Janitor, who will not only keep the filth at bay, he may also keep young doctors in check, save the galaxy from time to time and could also be a martial arts legend.

Now leaving vanilla behind, if you look for mods you may find anything from totempoles to rugged fur carpet.
Paintings, Smoothed and Etched Walls, and all kinds of Clutter(tm) you may find at Rimkea(tm)

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Dwaallicht

How exactly did you vissualise the way a painting is shown?  Since the player looks down on his colony you don't actually see the side of the walls, so the only way I can imagine it is the painting attached to a wall but facing up so you can see it, but then it still sticks out into the room which kinda goes against the purpose of this idea.

I do like the idea of more vanilla beauty constructions though

CucumberedPickle

Well when I mean paintings will be more awful or more legendary than statues, there will also be a curve in beauty with different levels. It could be linear or exponential. Flower pots are good, but my wild boars find the flowers very tasty. And it's not like I can put them ONLY in the barn, because they are good haulers, rescuers and can be released. Floor types, I could try and put carpet but it's winter, and since the fall was just a cold snap we have no cloth anymore. My colonists also don't like cleaning or hauling or researching. I also wish you could drag the columns in the work tab around, so that dumb labor and not-so dumb nor labor can be done faster. Screwing up my work is the reason why I just don't set everyone's work down 1.
I'm also quite new to game and have only been playing since mid-July, and I don't like putting mods in when and I haven't explored a lot of the game; but I could give mods a try.
The number of possible signatures there are might as well be, for practical use, infinite, yet I chose this one.

CucumberedPickle

It's simple. The walls aren't seen from a complete top-down perspective, a little bit of the front of a
north wall can be seen. Paintings will take up 1, 2  or 4 cells in length depending if it's a small, large or grand painting respectively. If it's on a side wall, it will appear as a thick line. Paintings cannot be placed on a south wall.

Bakar

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

NeverPire

If you want to get a very impressive room needing no material, just create a field of roses in it and let one of your pawn sow it.
No need of anything except a good farmer and it takes little time.
Roses can even be used to feed herbivorous animals.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.