Can caravan mechanics be used for mass transport within a map?

Started by asanbr, August 06, 2017, 01:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asanbr

I did my first caravan and new settlement , and was disappointed that they unloaded everything in the center of the new map without giving me any options.

The spot I chose to start building on was far from the center and I almost instantly had a raid on this new map. With bleeding and infected colonists, it became a huge issue to haul the remaining things from the center to the house.

I admit I was poorly equipped and next time I will build some sort of emergency defense immediately on the spot, but still I think it should be possible to load up a muffalo and have it carry things within a map. It just spent 4 days carrying all that stuff, another hour should be doable.

Canute

Once the caravan enter the new map,
you should draft all, move them to the location you want and manual unload their inventory.

Currently there is no mod which select the unload spot, maybe you can suggest it at the Mod section.

asanbr

Thanks. I must have been late at the scene (watching the original colony for a few seconds too long) because I never saw this happen.

First thing I saw on the new map they were already standing in the center and all the stuff on the ground.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Canute on August 06, 2017, 02:10:21 PM

Currently there is no mod which select the unload spot, maybe you can suggest it at the Mod section.

But there is one that can turn of the auto-drop and unload option ..

I edit as soon as I know which one ..

==== EDIT ====

It's called AntiAutoUnload .. how fitting ..
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=32926.msg335819#msg335819

I think it is save to say, that rule 34 does now include rimworld mods ..

if you think there should be a feature .. chances are high that there is (was/in progress ) a mod for that ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

asanbr

Zoodles greets you and says thanks for the mod recommendation.

Or... he/she/it would if he/she/it were still alive  :o

She was a drop pod survivor, member #9 of the colony. Although she had several useful skills, especially cookin and art, she wasn't better than any of the experts already living in the colony, and so she spent most of her "new" life in an ancient cryptosleep casket during the long toxic winter, to save food.

As did her 3 comrades Newton, Mole and Maverick, all converted pirate raiders who were in a similar situation after joining the colony during the toxic fallout.

The colony decided they could do without them and sent them out on an expedition to settle and establish a new trading and mining base next to the friendly Thresher's Municipality of Theareesbium. All of this after reading an old legend on the forums about being able to trade instantly with a colony next to yours. Dreaming of piles of silver and hoping that these ex-pirates would stay loyal.

They never considered the they might also be raided instantly, before being prepared. They fought off the raiders but all except Newton were bleeding and got infections. Struggled to cook, keep the hens from eating their simple meals, and Maverick with his bad back had to stay up at night patching wounds.

Zoodle's didn't make it through. When she reached 90% infection / 89% immunity, she couldn't be saved. Newton and Maverick were downed, and the only one awake, Mole, couldn't care less about her condition. Ever since his past as a vengeful child, he is literally incapable of caring.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Vlad0mi3r

Not the best workaround but still it helps if you want to keep things Vanilla. Split your caravan so you only have one pawn with some food. Tell that solo pawn to settle once you have scouted the map and picked where you want to setup place your caravan spot.

Then tell your full caravan to enter the location and then they should unload at the caravan spot. A bit fiddly but hope it helps.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

MikeLemmer

As a sidenote, when I first crashland now, I immediately set up a caravan, wait until they start leaving the map, then create a new Stockpile and abort the caravan so they unload everything in the new Stockpile.

It's a much faster way to transporting most of those resources across the map.

Mday

You can setup an animal restricted area for packing/ unpacking/ milking/ training etc. This way you can unpack animal much faster. Remember to reset the restricted area after you are done.
When your caravan get ambushed, setup a restricted area to send your animal away for protection.

asanbr

Quote from: MikeLemmer on August 07, 2017, 02:38:35 PM
As a sidenote, when I first crashland now, I immediately set up a caravan, wait until they start leaving the map, then create a new Stockpile and abort the caravan so they unload everything in the new Stockpile.

It's a much faster way to transporting most of those resources across the map.

Thanks! This is sort of what my original question was really hoping for.

It should also mean I could have done the same thing on this new colony

PotatoeTater

Another tip for you, when you go to setup a base, send a scouting party of 1 to 2 pawns first and lay down your stockpile zone. Then have your entire caravan enter the map, they will go over to the stockpile zone you have setup and unload there.
Life is Strange