What weapon only knocks out pawns, not killing them

Started by Jumpingeal, August 06, 2017, 10:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumpingeal

Lightzy

Better chance to knock them out but they might still die. Yep. Clubs and such.

Golden

Any weapon can kill a pawn, including bare fists, expecially with a pawn who has levels in melee.  The best way would be to use one without any melee levels and bare hands - although you chance killing your own pawn I'd think.

Bolgfred

There are many threads about this topic, which had multiple strategies about solving this question.
In detail, pawns can be knocked out by high pain level or low conciousness.

PAYNE!
For high pain you need to apply much damage to a pawn with high pain multiplier. These are fire(~1,8 pain per damage) and blunt(~1,4 pain per damage).
So, you either have to set your new room mate on fire, your club them down, to knock them out with pain.
The benefit of this method is, that its simple and you only have to keep beating your opponent until he passes out.

consciousness
Consciousness gets lowered by pain and by blood loss, which is caused by ranged or edged weapons.
The Problem with these is that Cutting weapons tend to... well cut off body parts, so its better to us weapons with high attack speed, as they hit more different body parts instead of one-cutting one single thing.
The big benefit of this method is, that, if there are enough wounds applied to the enemy, you can retreat and let your enemy bleed out, until he passes out.

General Slavery knowlege

As we want to incapacitipate people, and not decapitate people we want to use weapons with low damage. By this we get multiple effects:
1. Body parts don't get destroyed in 1-2 attacks, so wounds can be spread into multiple body sections
2. AFAIK every wound adds a single pain value, which means, more wounds = more pain, so a wood or plasteel shiv or mace would be best as they have the lowest cooldown
3. Bad weapon quality lowers the items damage. By this you can  buildup more fantastic wounds before actually killing. So, put your worst crafters on crafting duty building maces and shivs. All weapons with awful quality get an amazing damage debuff of -60%!!!
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

Shurp

Keep in mind that any enemy pawn that is downed, for whatever reason, has an automatic chance to die just to reduce the potential pool of recruits you have.  As your population and difficult increases more of them will die on contact with dirt.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Mday

Psychic shock lance.
On hardest difficulty it cost about 750$ each. A raider has a bionic leg worth 2200$ and you want it bad?
You know what to do.

Jibbles

Beer bottle, wood.  ::)

No, but Mday is right.  I usually use psychic lance if I really want that Rocket, or bionic parts etc.

kubolek01

But it also has lethality. I accidentally slain a Thrumbo with it... So have this in mind prior to using.
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

VincentJ

Hello, my best warrior has a wooden mace, which is very practical to knock out ennemies.

But I'm developping technologies, we can't stay neolithic forever. What do you suggere I craft for him ? I must precise I have medieval times mod.

I was wondering, if medieval times allowed me to produce war hammers or morning star, flails... staffs ? There's no staffs ?

Dashthechinchilla

Ukas

Quote from: VincentJ on February 23, 2018, 05:22:36 PM
Hello, my best warrior has a wooden mace, which is very practical to knock out ennemies.

Yea wooden mace is what I use too. I craft a bunch of them, and locate them near the prison, so whenever theres a prison break etc I get few guys near the exit before prisoners make it outside.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Shurp on August 07, 2017, 06:46:25 AM
Keep in mind that any enemy pawn that is downed, for whatever reason, has an automatic chance to die just to reduce the potential pool of recruits you have.  As your population and difficult increases more of them will die on contact with dirt.

I'm pretty sure if you make them bleed into being incapped it will bypass this check, though that's tough to accomplish in practice vs big raids.  Since shivs don't get quality anymore it's also harder to do almost no damage with the classic "awful wooden shiv", though I suppose you could still intentionally degrade them via unroofed.

BetaSpectre

Game calculates so all downed creatures have a base chance in insta death.

Get a no death randomness mod and set it to 0
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO