Regarding Floor Beauty

Started by PigFlyer, August 07, 2017, 03:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PigFlyer

I understand that this was brought up in December, prior to the beauty rebalancing in A17, but I feel as if floor beauty is still not particularly balanced despite the update.

- Smoothed floors are the most beautiful floor at 3, other than gold at 4, despite costing no resources.
- Silver has a beauty of 2, which is equal to carpet.
- Stone tiles have a beauty of 1, despite requiring more resources than smoothed floors with the same amount of work.

I feel that both smooth floors and stone tiles should have a beauty of 1, so that almost all floors other than smoothed stone do not become obsolete in a mountain base.
Silver should also be buffed to 3, so that it's not made obsolete by carpet.

I also understand that this is a very small issue, and that it probably doesn't deserve this much scrutiny.

BoogieMan

I feel much the same about it.

One of the main problems I have with the current implementation is that to add a little variety to mountain areas, which as you said costs more time and resources, will actually lower the rating of the room. It makes it better to have everything looking identical from room to room.

Juan el Demgrafo

As I understand, the lower beauty of silver flooring is supposed to be balanced by that it pumps up wealth and impressiveness.
240 hours on Steam of this 2017-7-23.

Quote from: Shurp on July 29, 2016, 06:30:22 PM
...tell her to go stand in the corner of her bedroom, and beat her when she tires of it.

I really need to finish researching beer.

PigFlyer

Quote from: Juan el Demgrafo on August 07, 2017, 10:01:25 PM
As I understand, the lower beauty of silver flooring is supposed to be balanced by that it pumps up wealth and impressiveness.
You're exactly right! 

After looking into it further, I realized that there was much more to room statistics then I understood before.  Beauty is not the only determining stat of impressiveness (one of four).  The increase in wealth from the silver tiles makes it more useful for larger rooms relative to carpet and other floors with more beauty but less wealth.

With regards to smooth stone versus stone bricks, smaller stone brick rooms have a slightly lower impressiveness stat because of the lower beauty stat,  but larger stone brick rooms have a slightly higher impressiveness stat because of the higher wealth stat, but these differences are negligible, unless you build ridiculously large rooms.

Thanks to the very in-depth wiki for making me feel silly.

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: Juan el Demgrafo on August 07, 2017, 10:01:25 PM

Yeah, this is a common misunderstanding. Smoothed stone floors are also really not that good as it seems for the same reason, it doesent improve the wealth of the room as the other flooring types do. It's not only beauty that decides the impressiveness of a room.

eadras

The lack of wealth added from the smooth stone floors can be considered a benefit if you are trying to keep your colony wealth down in the early game.  Outside of the dining room and rec room, or a greedy person's bedroom, there is no real reason to raise a room's impressiveness at the cost of higher colony wealth and larger raids.  Smooth stone floors need to be rebalanced.

Nameless

Honestly, I don't even pave floors because it constantly creates so much dirt that you have to waste time cleaning it. A janitor can travel from one spot to another to clean one spot of dirt and in the process creates 3 spots of dirts which then causes more cleaning needs to be done. Vicious cycle.

Just slap a couple statues and your bedroom is now extremely impressive.