Rimworld changing our in game ethics?

Started by yawningrover, August 07, 2017, 09:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yawningrover

So when we got rimworld we thought it was wrong to harvest organs or kill trade caravans. but after rimworld it forced us to change our play style in the game. we don't even think about it when we take a prisoner and harvest their organs until they die or get sold off. yeah its for your colonies prosperity but when you think about it doesn't all the things we do seem a little unethical.

also I'm talkin in game not IRL

dburgdorf

"Before RimWorld" and "after RimWorld"?  Really?  You talk as though you think players are suddenly deciding that organ harvesting is OK in the real world.

RimWorld's hardly unique among games in encouraging -- tacitly, and sometimes overtly -- antisocial or even criminal behavior.  But it's frankly absurd to think that anyone's real world ethics are changing as a result.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Vlad0mi3r

I'm not so sure. I don't agree with the hole all of a sudden you think organ harvesting is ok because you played Rimworld is true. In some parts of the world organ harvesting is ok (sly look towards china) but for the most part it is frowned upon.

There are some elements of the game that I find creep into my mind on occasion. For instance the whole mental break idea. I sit in a very small space by myself while at work with no natural light (I know sounds like fun doesn't it). Occasionally I have the thought of mental break due to cramped conditions and go on a break to get some air and look further than 2 meters. My point is that part of the game has become part of my thinking.

However life does imitate art on occasion and who knows what the future holds.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Bozobub

A multitude of video games have at least....shaky...ethics; sane people don't extend those ethics to the real world.  I'm pretty sure there wasn't an uptick in decapitations, either, when "Mortal Combat" debuted -.-' .

No, turning people into finger food and snazzy clothing in RimWorld hasn't persuaded me to do the same IRL, not even close.
Thanks, belgord!

yawningrover

true it isn't sudden but after the you learn that you have to explore all avenues for survival of your colony you start to notice the morally questionable things are the most profitable for your colony. so some people harvest organs or sell people into slavery and after a while don't give a thought about how morally questionable it is.

yawningrover

also I'm just talkin about rimworld not IRL.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Bozobub on August 07, 2017, 10:53:54 PM
sane people don't extend those ethics to the real world.

Ethics are world-specific, and that includes the IRL world.
"When in Rome..." as the saying goes.

A behavior in Rimworld that produces good outcomes for the player doesn't necessarily map to a good behavior in Starbound.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

dburgdorf

Quote from: yawningrover on August 07, 2017, 11:02:05 PM

Well, then, you're not talking about ethics at all. You're talking about optimizing game play. Doing X or Y *in a game* because it produces better results *in the game* isn't even remotely an ethical issue. ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

yawningrover

Quote from: dburgdorf on August 07, 2017, 11:18:54 PM
Quote from: yawningrover on August 07, 2017, 11:02:05 PM

Well, then, you're not talking about ethics at all. You're talking about optimizing game play. Doing X or Y *in a game* because it produces better results *in the game* isn't even remotely an ethical issue. ;)

sorry had to change the name of the topic to better fit the idea

AngleWyrm

Quote from: dburgdorf on August 07, 2017, 11:18:54 PM
Doing X or Y *in a game* because it produces better results *in the game* isn't even remotely an ethical issue.

better results = good
worse results = bad

Ethics.

Quote from: webster dictionaryThe discipline dealing with what is good and bad and with moral duty and obligation
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

dburgdorf

The concepts of "good" and "bad" in the context of improving efficiency of game play are entirely different from the concepts of "good" and "bad" in the context of a discussion of ethics.

Many things can be described as "good" or "bad." Hell, the weather can be described as good or bad. But I doubt even you would try to claim that a discussion of good vs. bad weather is an ethical debate. :)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Shurp

I do find it hilarious that I can turn raiders into artillery shells to blow up more raiders with.

And no, this gives me no desire to build a thermal depolymerization plant in my backyard to do the same with my neighbors in RL.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Mday

It may not make any sense on planet earth, but it would have make sense in the rimworld setting.

I actually find it strange that pawns get debuff thoughts from organ harvest and etc. In a survival situation you will be grateful to any resource you can utilize. If that liver from a prisoner could save your family, you should be happy about the rare opportunity of possible transplant.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Shurp on August 08, 2017, 12:21:51 AM
I do find it hilarious that I can turn raiders into artillery shells to blow up more raiders with.

And no, this gives me no desire to build a thermal depolymerization plant in my backyard to do the same with my neighbors in RL.

though there are days when the idea sounds not so bad ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Bozobub

Quote from: AngleWyrm on August 07, 2017, 11:15:04 PM
Quote from: Bozobub on August 07, 2017, 10:53:54 PM
sane people don't extend those ethics to the real world.

Ethics are world-specific, and that includes the IRL world.
"When in Rome..." as the saying goes.

A behavior in Rimworld that produces good outcomes for the player doesn't necessarily map to a good behavior in Starbound.
Nope, sorry, not going to work.  Sane people simply don't attempt to extend video-game actions into the real world.  And "Starbound" isn't the real world, I'll note =) .

Nor has RimWorld changed how I play other games in any way.
Thanks, belgord!