Rimworld changing our in game ethics?

Started by yawningrover, August 07, 2017, 09:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMeInTeam

QuoteThe "sane people" argument looks remarkably similar to the no true Scottsman fallacy.

Behavior within worlds, be it Rimworld, Starbound, IRL, or any other theater in which a person behaves (such as this one) differs according to their assessment of what will produce desirable outcomes and undesirable outcomes.

That fallacy isn't really consistent with his point, which is that sane people assess different anticipated experience for choices made in games vs real life because such an assessment is consistent with evidence (IE these things obviously/provably operate on different rule sets).

If we accept sanity as the norm, then it is also easy to observe that this differentiating assessment is routinely made by most people (both children and adults), given reactions to game scenarios vs danger/loss in reality, even when not directly involving the people considered.

I don't think what he did constitutes changing the definition ad-hoc.  He didn't provide the reasoning very clearly, but "extending game ethics into the real world" would require mapping the game's systems onto reality.  Given the mountains of evidence that game rules =/= reality rules even with basic concepts like "laws of thermodynamics", there's not a legitimate case that people who do this and actually believe it are sane.

TL;DR - when you try to extend game rules to reality, you're not "in Rome..." any longer, and someone thinking otherwise makes him an extreme outlier in believing something against evidence.  Most people don't do that.

khearn

I came to RimWorld after years of playing Dwarf Fortress. Rimworld is pretty tame, when you look at what DF players have been known to do. Like the forts I created to do tests about how much damage results from falling various heights. I also managed to determine the acceleration due to gravity in the process. But oh, the cost in test subjects...

"Cave McJohnson here. Welcome to the Long-Fall Boot testing site! I've got some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that we haven't yet received our first batch of Long-Fall Boots from manufacturing yet. The good news is that means you are all in the control group, and get to help us establish how much damage we can expect to prevent by using Long-Fall Boots when they arrive. So you might want to make sure you've got your insurance paid up before the testing starts. We're done here."