Medical dynamics

Started by Shaft, October 23, 2013, 01:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaft

As far as I can tell, right now medical kits cannot be used.
Here are my suggestions:

-Have medical kits used via the context menu when you click on a target.  The same mechanic used for arresting someone.  This option is only available if the person is assigned to the doctor role.
-Skills would be used to determine the amount of healing.  Base use for a kit would be something like 20 HP.  A medical skill less than 5 will only get you 10 HP.  Otherwise, the formula would be something like (20 + 3(skill - 5)).  In other words, you get 3 points of additional healing for every medical skill level beyond 5.
-A new research would be something like "Improved Doctor Training" which improves your coefficient from 3 to 4.

So at medical level 10, without research you heal 35 points.  With the research skill, it would be 40.
The numbers are all just made up, so feel free to adjust them to whatever makes the system balanced.  I would think that a well trained doctor healing 40 points sounds about right.  Assigning Joe Blow to the doctor role might save someone's life, but that is about it.

I would think that someone assigned to the doctor role could wield one medical kit instead of a weapon.

On a slightly different topic, maybe doctor roles should be able to perform basic life saving functions.  I am thinking of a slow heal up to a certain point, say 20 HP.  This would allow them to save someone's life if they are bleeding out on the battlefield.  If they are close to base, they could then be hauled in for better healing.  If not, they might still die on the way to the base.

Maybe doctor levels starting at 5 can heal 1 HP per 3 seconds when the victim has less than 20 HP.  If that seems to powerful, maybe they have to be unconscious as well.  As level goes up, maybe the number of seconds is decreased by .2 per level.  Finally, it would probably be more balanced to have the victim continue to bleed, so the skill can't be used to indefinitely keep someone alive.  Like I said earlier, they still have to be carried back to base.

Again, a skill could be introduced to bump the rate of heal up.  Alternatively, maybe a research skill could be made to stop bleeding for x seconds.

I'm not so gung ho about the slow healing idea, but I figure we could get a discussion going about medical mechanics.  Maybe others could add to it or offer alternatives.

Sliverine

Definitely something that should be done imo. From the looks of it, seems like this is already being planned (with the doctoring skill and medkits being already in the game and all).

I would like to further suggest the presence of something akin to a medical bed which greatly speeds up healing but requires power and probably some other resource like water. I would even go so far as to suggest an operating bed which allows for a chance for the recently dead to be resuscitated but something this OP probably would require tons of research perhaps?