Component Creation Suggestion

Started by Syrchalis, August 08, 2017, 10:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syrchalis

I just had an idea of how to make the component workbench a much more interesting thing in the game. Last time I checked there was just one recipe in this huge thing and many people mod it, because it takes a lot of steel and time to create components.

Making them so rare and hard to get is not a good thing IMO, because of how much you need them for everything. If you really run out in a game that can suck really bad and it happens often in flat worlds.

The idea:
Make two recipes. One that costs 25 steel and requires only 500-1000 work compared to the 3000 now. The other recipe should cost much less steel, ~10 - but it should require 3000-5000 work. So you can make components fast or cheap -> nice interesting decision.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

SpaceDorf

This would only make sense if there are different kinds of components ..

But I agree with you, that the component workbench is as useless as the firefoam popper.
Some more recipies or uses for this large and expensive thing would be really nice.
At the moment my comp-bench is uninstalled and gathering dust in some corner of my base ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

NeverPire

To get components fast, create a caravan, mine all the components you find during each map event.

I find your idea interesting even if actually, for most advanced items, you need both metal and components so it's not a good idea to waste metal.
I think most of people will still use the cheap possibility.
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

Vlad0mi3r

Quote from: NeverPire on August 08, 2017, 01:05:11 PM
To get components fast, create a caravan, mine all the components you find during each map event.

I find your idea interesting even if actually, for most advanced items, you need both metal and components so it's not a good idea to waste metal.
I think most of people will still use the cheap possibility.

Yep I agree.

Components are really only an issue early to mid game. Caravans are an awesome way to gather them up as well. Mining and deconstruction of solar panels and turrets means lots of components.

If you were to increase the work required it would certainly help with getting the old crafting skill to godlike. Which is what I used the component bench for once a colonist reaches lvl 10 crafting.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Syrchalis

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 08, 2017, 10:18:04 AM
This would only make sense if there are different kinds of components ..

But I agree with you, that the component workbench is as useless as the firefoam popper.
Some more recipies or uses for this large and expensive thing would be really nice.
At the moment my comp-bench is uninstalled and gathering dust in some corner of my base ..
It works for the same components too. Imagine it like this - a wasteful but fast process versus an efficient but slow process. Do you want lots of components and swim in steel, or do you need to conserve resources and rather invest time?

The reason I'm suggesting this is because it's just straight up better than what's currently in the game. Right now you have no choices and a huge assembly station for ... one recipe? It's also not complicated, yet still an interesting decision to make. In other words - the depth for complexity ratio of this suggestion is very good.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

SpaceDorf

you mean sort of like meals in the range of cheap dispenser meals to lavish meals

How much faster or cheaper are you thinking ?
Because right now I really get components faster and more from quest maps .. ( and camp maps .. )

I believe the last time I used a Component Workbench was in A16 to build light sabres.

Syrchalis

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 10, 2017, 06:30:48 PM
you mean sort of like meals in the range of cheap dispenser meals to lavish meals

How much faster or cheaper are you thinking ?
Because right now I really get components faster and more from quest maps .. ( and camp maps .. )

I believe the last time I used a Component Workbench was in A16 to build light sabres.
If you read my initial post I provided values. The values I gave are generally huge buffs (recipe 1 is same cost but much faster, recipe 2 is same time, but much cheaper) - exactly because of what you mentioned. Components are relatively hassle-free to get via quest maps or by selling things that have low value to you, but a lot to traders (e.g. leather/cloth/meals/statues) - then buying components for 25 silver or so.

That the component workbench is really huge and needs a lot of components to start with doesn't really help.

SpaceDorf

Remind me to make you some recipies .. should not be to hard ..