SpaceDorfs Archive

Started by SpaceDorf, August 09, 2017, 12:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

I like to brag about my list ..

now I share :

Space Dorfs Archive

The List includes mostly mods from the Forum.
Most A17 Stuff and still a lot A16 Stuff.

Some things are a bit older, because those are the mods I would love to tinker with sometimes,
but keep in mind, this is just a mirror of my local folders, I give no guarantee for the mods to be the newest Version or for the older ones to be in working condition.
If you know of any mod you miss in the archive and think should be there tell me about it and even though I don't care much about CE, I think I will add it ... soon..ish

Modders .. if you don't like your mods being found here, I will remove them if asked to do so.

In general, I have tested most of the mods in the collection, but I am still a collector, I actually don't know everything and I am not in the business of updating or converting any Mods from or to something.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

LiteEmUp

wow... thnx for putting this up.. feels like a nice repository of mods for those who are looking for a specific mod...

may i suggest grouping it things together by putting into one folder, so if a mod has patches and like belongs to a theme(lets say the call of cthulhu mod on one folder) its easier to find and less scrolling

SpaceDorf

Sounds sensible,
would you sort by Mod-Purpose or also by Modder ?
which could conflict in some ways.

But like I said, it's just my backup folder on my drive, maybe I get around to this.

You can always use Ctrl-F

LiteEmUp

i'd say by purpose, but if there is a group of mods that has compatibility patch also on it, maybe add it on a folder with same mod

ex: race folders/ Orassan mod subfolder/Orassan mod + compatibility patches
ex: QOL folders/ EPOE mod subfolder/any compatibility patch mods
ex: author collection mod/ Call of Cthulhu collection subfolder/subfolder 1(arachnopobia mod + any compatibility patch mods), subfolder 2, subfolder 3,etc

dburgdorf

Hmm. That's an awful lot of mods, all of which are subject to update at any time, and none of which can actually be updated in your repository by their authors. I think you're setting yourself up for headaches when the versions of the mods in your repository (inevitably?) start to fall behind the versions here and/or on Steam. Also, did you check the redistribution licenses on each and every one of them before posting them?
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: dburgdorf on August 09, 2017, 05:31:53 PM
Hmm. That's an awful lot of mods, all of which are subject to update at any time, and none of which can actually be updated in your repository by their authors. I think you're setting yourself up for headaches when the versions of the mods in your repository (inevitably?) start to fall behind the versions here and/or on Steam. Also, did you check the redistribution licenses on each and every one of them before posting them?

1.) No I did not read all licenses, thats why I added the line about removal to my first post, but since I have the original downloaded files, that are not tampered with in any way, I guess I may get away with it.

2.) Yeah having modders upload their stuff directly to my GoogleDrive would be awesome.
So I have to update them myself.
And like I mentioned, the Archive is Synched with my own Folders on my Hard-Drive. And I use a lot of these mods ( 235 as of today ) so for my own sake, I keep most of them updated and copy them to the archive, where they get synched ..

dburgdorf

Sorry if my post came across more negative than I intended it. And just to be clear, I wasn't voicing any objections I have myself, but simply noting objections I could see other modders having.

I would strongly suggest checking licenses, though. I don't know how common it is, but I know there are at least a few modders around here who expressly forbid redistribution of their mods.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

Yeah, accepted, I overreacted myself a bit.

For once you voiced quite real concerns about the mods licenses, on the other hand you made the archive more than
I meant it to be ..
I was just thinking in a moment of inner peace that I share my collected stuff with everyone else .. mainly the older A16 stuff, because some people where all over the forum searching for them.

But I will check on the licenses now whenever I come across one

The-Eroks

Great resource! I appreciate having all of these consolidated into a single archive and knowing that most (all?) have the SpaceDorf seal of approval.  :)

I recommend simply adding a Sheet to the root folder that contains the mod, a link back to the original thread, version, and a copy of the original licence. Keep it a WIP and update as you add new content/when you have time to sort through your own archive. Consider adding a short description, mod category, mirrors... That seems like the least amount of work to implement the feedback received thus far (makes is searchable/easily sorted, licences are plainly displayed, mod type can be added, etc.).

You might even offer to get help from the community to keep the sheet updated. I believe there are others who share your passion for collecting great mods. I'd be willing to input some information into that sheet, as I have a similar document already for keeping track of my mod comps; no need to double up on the effort, especially if by collaborating, we can create a great community resource.

SpaceDorf

:o guys .. all I did was to link a local folder to google drive ..

I never meant to do any work on that, other than updating the stuff I use for myself ..

on the contrary I was just getting in the mood to work on my own mods again, funny thing, all it took were some plugins for notepad++ to get this done ..

But when duty calls.

Canute

Btw. i hope you got enough time beside your playing to keep them uptodate :-)
To bad the modder didn't act positive at my idea about permalinks for the latest version instead just to create new links each mod version.

DoctorVanGogh

Well.... this is awkward...

You are distributing dozens - possibly hundreds - of Mods. Each of which has it's own license, copyright status & (re-)distribution permissions. You admit to not checking any of those before publication.
That is a world of hurt waiting to happen here.

I know for a fact that there are mods in there which do not allow redistribution. I know that, because there's one of my mods in there where I specifically added a license that does not allow redistribution.

So... you're commiting copyright infringement right now. And I'm sure it's not just that one mod from me.

I know you mean well, and hey - what's the harm? Those mod authors put that stuff up to be downloaded, right? And ultimately - they can request to have their stuff removed, right?

Sorry - that is not how this works. You can't (re)distribute stuff unless you have permission to do that (typically through some sort of license). You might be okay with those mods in the public domain or under permissive copyleft type licenses. But do they carry additional requirements to allow redistribution? Do you fulfill those requirements? Did you check?
By your own words you didn't :o

So - please remove my mod which doesn't allow redistribution (Hint: It's the WIP one).

I would strongly encourage you to check each and every file you intend to keep sharing for it's license situation. And if you don't intend to spend the time to do that - I'd stop sharing those files altogether.
Appreciate my mods? Buy me a coffee

SpaceDorf

Thank you for being civil about this and of course I immideatly removed all three versions of your WIP Mod.

=== EDIT 2 .. finally done ===

I cleaned up the folder a bit, deleted doubles of older versions.
The List for A17 contains 342 files at the moment.
I allready started checking Licences after DBurgdorf brought it up, but only when updating at the moment, so I know how to sort the updates and what to do with the older versions.

But I am still pondering what DoctorVanGogh and The-Eroks said.
Putting it all out there on a whim was not one of my brightest moments.
Maybe creating and maintaining a sorted and commented list would be the better way.

While still keeping the Vault in case of emergency.

Maybe this all will be obsolete when ModSyncNinja becomes an A18 feature :)

Canute

Lets hope of this modsync feature ! :-)

But dorf, you know you arn't the first who got this idea.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31416.0

SpaceDorf

-- Double Post -- Thank you Provider ..