Help with error? Please

Started by InfinityKage, August 09, 2017, 09:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InfinityKage

Playing a modded run of Rimworld and I'm getting this popping up.

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[Verse.HediffStage].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Hediff.get_CurStage () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Hediff.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Pawn_HealthTracker.HealthTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Pawn.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.Planet.WorldPawns.WorldPawnsTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.Planet.World.WorldTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.TickManager.DoSingleTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick()
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate()
Verse.Game:UpdatePlay()
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

Any idea what's going on here? It would be greatly appreciated. I love this game and this is stopping me from playing.

InfinityKage

So it turns out if i exit dev mod and close the log it goes away. But I'm sure it's still just ticking away in the background. Is that safe?

Canute

A modded game mosttimes got a few errors from time to time.
When the error appear only a few time from time to time, you can ignore it mosttimes. You can report it at the mod thread if you think what mod cause the error.

But when the mod count up massiv during gameplay, it might a gamebreaking bug. Be sure to have the latest version of the mods installed.

The error don't give me a hint what kind of mod it could be that cause the error, if you got hugslib installed to, you should use the "share log" button and allways add it to your postings. Or at last attach the output_log.txt from the data folder.

SpaceDorf

Like Canute said... safe is always to be seen in context when using mods ..

the <filename unknown> often appear when you remove a mod from an active game, because the savegame still has objects that point to those files or defs that now cannot be found.

Or a mod is missing something, in that case deleting and reinstalling the newest version of the mod should help.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

jamaicancastle

I think what's happening in the error is that it is attempting to look up a hediff that doesn't exist any more. So it registers that a pawn has Hediff #X and it goes to figure out what exactly that does to the pawn. Except the list of hediffs no longer has X entries, so it throws the out-of-range error.

Assuming this has been harmless so far, it should continue to be (the hediff presumably just won't do anything) unless you add another mod that includes any new hediffs, in which case it may end up giving that pawn the one that corresponds to the number, which may or may not make any sense.

InfinityKage

Thanks for all the info guys. Helped a lot.