Raid Size

Started by seeyountee, August 10, 2017, 01:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seeyountee

Greetings,
Is it at all possible to limit the size of raids or limit the number of raiders on screen, my craptop cant handle the larger raids :(

Canute

Just reduce the difficult of the storyteller, and you are geting smaller raids.
You can change it over the option, choose storyteller, anytime ingame.

Tribals give the biggest raids from the people count, maybe you should capture and release them to become friends with them.

The-Eroks

If I understand the mechanic correctly, you could modify all the human-like pawn's combat power variable to a higher number. I'm pretty sure the storyteller picks a target raid difficulty, than grabs a bunch of pawns, the sum of their combat powers which are approximately equal to that raid difficulty. This would trick the game into sending a smaller force because the individual pawns were so "powerful". Not really a long term fix because eventually the storyteller will keep increasing the raid difficulty, I believe.

Edit: For Clarity

Razzoriel

Can anyone confirm if there is a mod that affects the weight of the colony's wealth for calculation of raid sizes?

Cryusaki

I'd like to colony wealth effect raider equipment more than raider numbers. So fewer but better armed raiders attack than just bringing more people

The-Eroks

It is important to be mindful of the fact that Rim World was balanced around a certain set of proportions. Tweeks in one area would likely undo the balance in another. Consider just giving tribal plasteel everything and tribalwear that had amazing defensive properties. Perhaps the first few raids would be optimized for a more humble computer, but than you're colony would have tons of plasteel (which could be used as is, or melted down into better items), wealth, and bullet-proof tribalwear. Everything that a raider carries into the raid is yours after the raid. As you defeat them, you become more powerful in turn.

What does the next raid look like?

What does the raid after that look like?

Eventually, the game would reach a glass ceiling in terms of item power and the raids/your colony strength would reach an equilibrium. Eventually, raid size will become the only reasonable way to increase difficultly and you'll run into a similar issue.

So from a design perspective, the solution would seem to be that we want to optimize raid difficultly for a slower machine but also move the end-game forward so that one could conceivably win in this new system of balances before the raid size becomes a limiting factor. Now we're introduced a second problem... consider all the aspects that go to escaping the planet; and rebalance those as well.

I'm not saying don't try to create a Rim World for laptops; but it is a trickier, less elegant solution than simply powering up the raiders to compensate. And that the true solution is likely going be a considerable amount of work.