I pirated the game and now i want to buy it, will my saves be deleted?

Started by sad1234zx, August 11, 2017, 09:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vlad0mi3r

Quote from: Headshotkill on August 13, 2017, 05:58:57 PM
^^^^

Anyone actually read the post above this one?
Just curious...

Nope sort of just glossed through it. Then for some reason started thinking about old lawyer jokes. You know the one's what do you call 1000 Layers at the bottom of the ocean........

A good start "boom tish"
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

MajorMonotone

TruNewb

I was reading through the back and forth about the EULA but I noticed a few things. 1 You don't see the EULA till they email you. In fact the only place I could find the EULA is a link in this thread, it isn't in any obvious place on the site before entering your credit card. If this is the case they can't hold you accountable to a license as you assuming your buying the software. Next in the EULA it states so long as you uninstall the software from all your systems your no longer bound by the EULA - Does this mean so long as just have the download file your free from the EULA and can do what you want with the software. I don't know since I don't own this game how they send the file - whether it is a ready to go copy of the game or requires install, but if you follow the EULA and it is an install you could theoretically buy the game and distribute per their wording. "You can terminate this EULA at any time by simply uninstalling the Software from all your machines." . Or am I reading this wrong?

nccvoyager

https://rimworldgame.com/
The link to the EULA is below the stack of packs.
(Directly below the pirate king pack; this location, the wording, and the embedded formatting of the packs, imply application to all the packs.)

It is more common for software to use "click-through" EULAs, but this type of EULA is still an acceptable form.
You agree to be bound by this EULA if you buy, download, or use the software.

It is pretty common knowledge that "buying" software digitally only entitles you to a license to download and use the software, and EULAs provided usually reiterate that.
(As it does in the RimWorld EULA.)

As per the EULA, only Ludeon can give express permission to distribute the software.
While it is true that uninstalling the software from all of your devices will remove your obligations from the EULA, the software is also protected under copyright, and cannot therefore be distributed in the way that you imply.
(Applicable copyright infringement varies by jurisdiction, may or may not be a criminal charge, so on and so forth...)

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

KillTyrant

I know I'm not really contributing in any real fashion with this but I have to say that the whole argument that happened would be a faithful example of a storm in a tea cup.

Magneto_007

I'm not a programmer, but I think Rimworld needs to be protected in some way to prevent this from happening. Last week I bought it on Steam (sorry I did not help Ludeon Studios) just because I share my account with my brother.
I will be honest with all of you: I tried it for a couple of days with a "non original" version but when I noticed the potential but above all the status of the game I did not even think of a second to acquire it.
I hope the development continues and I'm also convinced that Rimworld will be the game that each of us will have in our pc.
Hello to all.

Bozobub

Active DRM is generally a money-losing, worthless endeavor.  How many games have been able to prevent piracy, without resorting to extremely annoying and counterproductive methods (such as always-on internet connections for 1-player games) that STILL often do not work?  "Rainbow 6: Vegas 2" is a perfect example of how this can backfire horribly; they ended up having to bypass their own broken DRM with a patch that turned out to be a stolen crack, which is beautiful irony that's not particularly helpful to anyone, as well as brazen hypocrisy.
https://torrentfreak.com/ubisofts-no-cd-answer-to-drm-080718/
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/ubisoft-steals-no-cd-crack-and-releases-it-as-their-own.167457924/
https://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac-linux-society-1000004/ubisoft-steals-reloaded-crack-to-fix-its-own-game-26498099/

How much money do you think Ubisoft spent on that utter disaster, which accomplished NOTHING but pissing off their own paying customers?  And all that, just to end up using a pirate group's crack to make their own spaghetti code work, while banning people on their forums who suggested *the exact same solution* (for paying customers)!  Piracy isn't OK, but DRM is a bad joke.
Thanks, belgord!

Magneto_007

In my opinion, "it's enough" (I'm talking about newbie) so make updates just after checking the authenticity of the installed game. I know it's probably too complicated or impossible to accomplish, but I'm sure that not installing any updates should discourage a lot of people from using pirated versions.

makkenhoff

Quote from: Shurp on August 11, 2017, 06:05:05 PM
There used to be a thing called "shareware" which took advantage of this mindset... "let me try it out first... hey, this game is great, I wanna buy the full version!"  Let the pirates do your advertising for you :)

Ah, shareware, how I remember you under a different moniker: crippleware. I love the concept, some companies did alright with it, like AmbrosiaSW.

nccvoyager

@Bozobub, yeah, most DRM models have not really been cost effective.
Most types of DRM tend to add to the size of the software, may reduce the performance depending on the form used, and some may have even caused damage after long-term use.
(Looking at you, SecuROM.)

In terms of effective DRM, only Denuvo has been somewhat successful in reducing piracy during the initial launch period.
That said, Denuvo have admitted that they are not attempting to stop piracy; only delay it until after the initial launch period when the most profitable sales are made.
(Additionally, Denuvo is the successor to SecuROM, and it seems that quite a few people have been avoiding software protected by it as a result.)

Really, when it comes down to it, regardless of whether it is moral or not, software will be pirated.

On a somewhat related note...
Yeah, some developers know how to market.
Saw quite a few comments regarding people who either didn't originally intend to play it, or still don't intend to, are going to buy it anyways.

Candacis

I admit, that I also pirated this at first. I was on a visit at my mothers and wanted to play something while she was at work. Not only did I bought it for myself, my mother also purchased it after she asked me a ton of questions and couldn't stop watching me play it. It took a while to convince her, to try it out herself, because for her it looked too complicated at first, but now she can't get enough of it. On Very Easy mind you.

She plays it to this day every day. Seriously.. every day. Heck, I can see on steam, she is playing right now.
Haven't seen her ever so immersed in a game (and complaining on the telephone that the toxic rain ruined her colony again.. she hates toxic rain.) So, yeah, piracy let to one of your biggest rimworld fans.

shentino

Your saves will be fine.

However unless you have a Glittertech certified GPU you will be unable to shade polygon normals using hardware rendering.

Calahan

Okay, I think it's time to close this thread. The OP asked a question and it got answered, then the discussion shifted O/T towards what constitutes piracy, which led to an interesting discussion about the EULA. Somewhere in the middle the OP's question got answered again before the discussion moved onto the merits, or not, of DRM, until the inevitable makings of a similar conversation about piracy itself appeared, before that was interrupted with another brief intermission to yet again answer the OP's question, until we finally arrive here at this point.

All of which meandering means the OP's question has been answered several times now, so the thread has served its purpose. And while DRM/piracy and all the various (often polarised) viewpoints surrounding this subject is an interesting and time worn discussion, the forum rules here are very specific in relation to piracy being a disallowed topic of conversation. DRM is fine, but I think it'd be difficult to have a meaningful conversation about DRM without including the reason it exists, which is a topic the forum rules don't allow.

So I think it's probably best to close this here before and in case any such discussion gets going. Plus as I said the OP has being answered several times over.