[A17] Coffee and Fire, a wildfire rebalance

Started by CoffeeAndBrrt, August 11, 2017, 05:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoffeeAndBrrt

Description:
A rebalance of wildfires so that the game no longer feels pressured to put them out.

Features:

• Plants which are not fully grown will burn quicker
  • Grasses and similar plants have had hitpoints adjusted to allow wildfires, but dissuade worldfires from taking effect
  • New emergent burn patterns other than 'giant flaming ball of death'
  • By default, the storyteller will now no longer suppress long burning fires (configurable)
  • Building burning unaffected

With no FireWatcher in effect, colonists should prioritize fighting or containing local wildfires rather than waiting for the rain, but not all lightning strikes (or boomalope) will start wildfires of doom. Trees, bushes, and crops are now the main progenitors of wildfire, rather than any nonempty square.

Requirements:
  • Hugslib (not included)

Compatibility:
Vanilla:
  • The AI Firewatcher disable and quicker burning plants will work with existing saves, but default lower MaxHitPoint totals will not apply to plants already spawned.
Mods:
  • Will probably not work with the "No FireWatcher" mod.

Future directions:
  • Configurable AI sprinklers rather than all or nothing.
  • Take into account zone aridness to make fire more / less likely to spread
  • Additional balancing as needed

Can modpack makers include your mod in their modpack? YES
Can other modders make derivative mods based on yours? YES, with credit

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

SpaceDorf

Just what I needed yesterday after starting with the crashlanding hard scenario.

the whole 275x275 map was one big ashpile, except the few rock tiles my handfull of survivors huddled together.
Long story short .. they starved or died of infection because all food, healroot and wildlife was gone.
Except that asshole of an antilope that died burning while setting my only stockpile of items I managed to rescue on fire ..

And first question : Does Aridness include temperature ? ( spontanoues wildfire during heatwave ? )

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

CoffeeAndBrrt

Highly arid zones (low rainfall in the worldmap) would mean giving a boost to fire to spread (but not start), whereas less arid zones (high rainfall) would penalize fire spreading. The idea is that more rainfall means more ambient moisture (on the ground, air, etc) and small fires are less likely to grow large. I don't like the way tropical rainforests play ATM because the high tree density tends to burn everything with little to no chance of stopping it without forcing the rain.

SpaceDorf

BlueWinds

Looking forward to giving it a try.

One thing though, can you rename about.xml to About.xml? Not sure about other platforms, but my game (on Linux) couldn't find the file until I capitalized the name (like all the other mods I use do). Thanks. :)

kaptain_kavern

I'm looking forward to trying this one. Thank you for your works.

Is it me or there's nothing coffee related in the mod beside your name?  ;D

CoffeeAndBrrt

Quote from: BlueWinds on August 12, 2017, 03:03:58 PM
One thing though, can you rename about.xml to About.xml? Not sure about other platforms, but my game (on Linux) couldn't find the file until I capitalized the name (like all the other mods I use do). Thanks. :)

Will do, is there any other casing problems I should be aware of?

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on August 12, 2017, 04:23:27 PM
I'm looking forward to trying this one. Thank you for your works.

Is it me or there's nothing coffee related in the mod beside your name?  ;D

All the coffee went into the development.

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: CoffeeAndBrrt on August 13, 2017, 02:18:45 PMAll the coffee went into the development.
From a fellow coders to an other, this is a valid answer for me ;-)

SpaceDorf

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on August 14, 2017, 12:29:16 AM
Quote from: CoffeeAndBrrt on August 13, 2017, 02:18:45 PMAll the coffee went into the development.
From a fellow coders to an other, this is a valid answer for me ;-)

Programmer, The . : An Organism that turns coffee into code.

kaptain_kavern

You forgot we always wear T-shirts of exquisite tastes :-p

I show my preferred (I used to wear this one proudly in the bank tech. call center I was working among all others guys wearing suits)

Topper