Temporarily disable certain reserach?

Started by Kerbalized, August 08, 2017, 10:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerbalized

First off, I'm new to modding, so my apologies for dumb questions.
I'm playing around with making a scenario where your colonists can't escape until certain conditions are met.
As the title asks, is there a way to forbid ship building research temporarily?
My current plan is once the prerequisites are met, the game would drop pod in the necessary ingredients for the escape ship (with fewer parts in case you don't get enough in time- choose who escapes and who dies) and give you the research to place the blueprints. Does that make sense, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

SpaceDorf

I was thinking these days about a similiar research problem.

What you could do is make the research require a special building ( similiar to the multi-analyzer ) that is not researchable but gets dropped in by your story event .. that way the research is locked until the building is connected to a research table.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Kerbalized

I just thought of another solution, but I'm not sure if it is tacky. 
What are your thoughts about changing the ingredients for the ship parts, but giving the research immediately?
It would be easy to implement, but I'm not sure if building the ship out of other stuff would be weird, like building it all out of jade (just an example)...

My other idea is to create a unique trade ship that only exchanges ship components for the desired resource.

Mainly, I realized that delaying research might screw up the scenario's end-game. I have a planet killer event at 300 days, but if you gained the ability to research at day 290, you might just be screwed waiting for it to finish.
That would just be frustratingly disappointing

SpaceDorf

The special trader could be better or worse .. depending on how the rng likes you.
If they don't show up you are screwed, if they show up to often or to early it is boring,
if they show up scripted .. it is also boring and railroaded.

you could at least prepare though have everything designed and ressourced hauled .. only the components missing ..
if you restrict the components to some central pieces of the ship .. say reactor, engine and ai ..
you wouldn't even need that much of them ..  .. so you could make their construction the bottle-neck research.
completing a medium research in 10 days and crunching out a handfull of components should be doable if you are dedicated ..

Kerbalized

I was thinking of describing it not as a trader, but more like a orbiting trade station.  Start with microelectronics, set the spawn chance for showing up high, and the time to depart for >300 days.

My concept for the scenario is that you have to harvest organs as fast as possible. ~50 organs get you the ship parts, cryosleep caskets are 15 organs each. Starting with 6 colonists means you need ~140 organs stockpiled. On my current test game, I'm gathering about 20 per year, so I may play around with the numbers. An essentially permanent trading space station means you could unload organs as soon as you get enough, and fits with the idea that the colonists are part of some black market trading company.

But I really like your idea for restricted components. I could start the colony off with all the necessary research and resources, except for a new component. The new component (named something like "trade station access code" or something) isn't craftable, and can only be attained by trading it for organs, and is necessary for each of the ship parts. I also like the idea that if you get to day 299, and you only have 5 cryosleep pods because you couldn't get enough kidneys, then someone gets left behind to die ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
But how would I make an item only tradeable for organs? As I understand it, silver as currency is built into the game and individual traders won't use a unique currency

SpaceDorf

I am thinking about this one .. just throwing out some Ideas now ..

1.) the station has no silver
2.) make organs and the components absurdly expensive with matching prices .. ( one component worth exactly 10 livers. )
and yes .. I know the trade skill is pissing right over that ..

3.) the high prices actually helps the darkness of the scenario by tickling the players own greed ...
.. 4 pods .. 3 organs left for a 5th .. 6 pawns.

Doc has a Free Pass,
So has the Engineer.
No Parts without the Trader. ..