Any big features coming in A18?

Started by sarke, August 12, 2017, 06:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cultist

People making arguments based on Alpha/Beta status of the game need to bear in mind that Ludeon/Tynan pretty much broke that logic when he decided to launch a 1.0 version of the game at full price on Steam and then continued to add on to it after that. I'm not arguing for or against that decision, but it does mean that calling it Alpha or Beta and arguing from this standpoint is meaningless.
I doubt there will ever be an official beta or gold version of Rimworld, becauce these terms stopped having clear and definite meanings over a decade ago (or whenever it was Kickstarter really took off). And if they do come, they will most likely not be what people expect.

Kickstarter backed projects are and probably always will be wildcards. You're giving the devs money (and a huge amount of freedom) based on promises and very early work-in-progress demos and hoping for the best.

Bozobub

Um, no.  "Early Access" on Steam DOES NOT imply "1.0"/complete status for the game.  Not even close; rather it simply means "playable in some form".  Care to try that one again?
Thanks, belgord!

Panzer

I do hope "& more" means a new notification sound, adding the death sound to minor stuff and fails just wasnt a good idea.

sarke

I wonder if the "named world locations" will have any effect on text etc.

For example, will we see things like updated text like for the wanderer event:

"A wanderer from a tribe on the other side of the Tynan Mountains arrived being chased by Bounty Hunters from that far off land. Offer them refuge?"

Wanderer_joins

Or any effect on the game, like your caravan is more likely to be ambushed by the Bounty Hunters when you go through the Dark Forest

crazyroosterman

one can only hope that kind of detail is sorely missing right.

Bozobub

Quote from: crazyroosterman on September 04, 2017, 09:43:02 AM
one can only hope that kind of detail is sorely missing right.
Dude, it's called "punctuation" ???.

You post can be read, currently, as "One can only hope that kind of detail is sorely missing, right?" or "One can only hope; that detail is sorely missing, right?"  I assume the second is what you meant, but especially on this forum, assumptions will often lead you astray.
Thanks, belgord!

Elixiar

So...

Still radio silence on A18?

Hm.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

JimmyAgnt007

Just like every other alpha before it was ready to be talked about... odd that.

Dargaron

Did you make sure your Comms Console was powered the whole time? If it wasn't powered up when an Alpha 18 notification came up, you'll have to check manually.

Also, make sure you have 3,000 silver near your Trade Beacons: Lord Tynan demands tribute for his updates.

In seriousness, here's the latest update from Twitter:

"A18 still developing! Swamp biomes, caves, named world features (oceans, ranges, deserts, etc), new art description tales, new plants, &more"

ColonistGirl

Quote from: Dargaron on September 20, 2017, 12:46:29 PM
In seriousness, here's the latest update from Twitter:

"A18 still developing! Swamp biomes, caves, named world features (oceans, ranges, deserts, etc), new art description tales, new plants, &more"

Neat! Swamp biome sounds interesting. And caves. And I wonder if we can rename the world features.

Panzer

https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/911386687099383808

"RimWorld Alpha 18 is in internal testing... moving along nicely! There are many still-unannounced new features, content, and improvements."

Looks like we get A18 in the next few months, my guess is some time in November, pretty sure before christmas though ;D

East

maculator

Quote from: East on September 26, 2017, 02:58:59 AM
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33212.msg338559#msg338559

In the A18 patch, the problem of late game slow seems to be  getting better.

Because lategame lag only happens with this stockpile bug and not because of 1091ß247073257643298 social relations.

PatrykSzczescie

Anything family/leader related features in A18, apart from moral affection?