Sharpened stakes for sandbags

Started by Damien Hart, May 08, 2014, 11:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damien Hart

I noticed in the changelog that trees and wood are in, and I thought it would be cool if you could add stakes to sand bag emplacements.

Deny your enemies the use of your cover, and cause potential injury if you cross in the wrong direction. Colonists would obviously need to prioritise less dangerous paths if available, and raiders would need to weigh risk vs. reward - do they funnel through the safe spaces, risking heavy gunfire, or charge over and risk damage from the stakes?

Tribals should be more likely to charge over, due to their more aggressive nature and sheer numbers, and animals should completely ignore spikes and charge on through, with squirrels and boomrats immune due to their size, and muffalo taking increased damage because of theirs.

Metal spikes would also be a viable option, with more durability and damage/hit potential, and being due to being sharpened along its edge, able to damage squirrels and boomrats, with the trade-off of metal being more valuable (though I find it's particularly abundant at the moment) due to its use in more important equipment.

Stakes/spikes could be built on top of existing sandbags, and occupy the space adjacent to the sandbags themselves.

Austupaio

Seen plenty of suggestions for barbed wire and the like, but the stakes are a great idea that hadn't occurred to me. Reminds me of WWI/II sandbag walls that would have ditches dug in front of them with stakes/hazards angled over the ditch.

Being able to arrange the same in Rimworld would be cool.

There's also the possible option of the cheval de frise. If you're not familiar with them, it may seem obscure but in reality these types of defense have been used for centuries by numerous cultures, mainly European though. I could see colonists coming with these types of defenses, especially ex-military.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheval_de_frise

Celthric Aysen

Quote from: Austupaio on May 08, 2014, 11:47:31 AM
Seen plenty of suggestions for barbed wire and the like, but the stakes are a great idea that hadn't occurred to me. Reminds me of WWI/II sandbag walls that would have ditches dug in front of them with stakes/hazards angled over the ditch.
Yeah i saw those, they were quite brutal, but is a nice idea, it should also give the colonist some debuff when this happens.
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Damien Hart

Yeah I've seen the cheval de frise before, though I'd never heard their name before. They seem to pop up in a few places, from Skyrim to The Walking Dead haha

But speaking of ditches with spikes, covered spike pits would be cool as well - colonists know where they are, and for convenience's sake, friendlies instinctively navigate around them, but enemies could take a hefty hit from them.

Though that could possibly be a balance issue, maybe have a minimum separation or something, and they'd only be a one off use per battle deal, they have to be recovered before the next, or raiders see and avoid them.

They could be made of wood, but then be completely broken after use, or sharpened stones/metal spikes, and only require repairs.