Penoxycyline and plague

Started by elminsterrr, August 15, 2017, 03:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elminsterrr

Does taking penoxycyline after my pawn caught plague (minor) help? Or it is too late and I'm wasting that drug, so I should better focus on giving him better medicine and good doctor care?

Jibbles

It's too late for penoxy to kick in.  Treat em with meds and bed rest, preferably hospital bed. 

So I've been wondering some other things about this drug.  What are the effects when the whole colony routinely takes penoxy?  Do the storytellers just give you other diseases not affected by penoxy? Or is there any chance you'll get to skip a disease event?

I've done this a few times and it mainly gives my pawns mechanites which is worse until you have a bigger colony.

SpaceDorf

I heard that penoxy gives a starting immunity to pawns,
so they process of healing is faster and the propability that someone dies from disease is lower.

I have never used penoxy once and never lost a pawn to disease. ( excpet those with only one kidney )
If you have a decent doctor and enough green meds there should be no problem at all.

In my oppinion penoxy should rather work like some modded drugs and just raise the bodyfunctions that apply to healing a bit.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Jibbles

I agree with you. I know it's not necessary for diseases alone, but figured why not with all this silver floating around. After 3-4 pawns getting mechanites back to back, I instantly noped out and sold the penoxy.

Canute

Yep, pretty useless stuff ! :-)
When you could need it, at early stages of your colony, you don't have any.
And later, you don't care anymore if someone with infection is sleeping 1 or 2 days.

Antibiotica and fruits drinks from Vegetable garden are more useful then to give Peno to all pawns each 5 days.

Oblitus

Incident mechanics seem a bit complicated, but from what I've got if all colonists and prisoners are immune to the disease, it would use another event instead. So it may be beneficial to leave one least useful colonist without protection.

Canute

I don't think that it works this way, or the whole thing of Peno. would made no sense.
Why the devs should give you a medicin to prophylaxis a disease and then let the storyteller just select another disease if it notice the colonist are immun.
Then they just could do the same at combat, the script notice that the torso is very well protected, then let the bullet hit the head/neck instead.
That maybe explain why so many corpse are without heads ! :-)

Oblitus

Quote from: Canute on August 15, 2017, 08:30:40 AM
I don't think that it works this way, or the whole thing of Peno. would made no sense.
Why the devs should give you a medicin to prophylaxis a disease and then let the storyteller just select another disease if it notice the colonist are immun.
Then they just could do the same at combat, the script notice that the torso is very well protected, then let the bullet hit the head/neck instead.
Well, it makes total sense to aim for the limbs of a person in armor vest.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Oblitus on August 15, 2017, 08:50:24 AM
Quote from: Canute on August 15, 2017, 08:30:40 AM
Well, it makes total sense to aim for the limbs of a person in armor vest.

In melee sure (tough armor is why stuff like grabbing the blade halfway up to shove it in the joints was an actual thing in history), but not very practical in gunfights.  You might hit limbs, but they're not usually the aiming point.

If the cover system gets expanded maybe drop the odds of some things being hit to near-0 based on the cover type, but that would be a very significant rework (you'd wind up needing to make damage more lethal in general probably, which would ripple into raid size scaling etc).

Syrchalis

Penoxycyline gives a starting immunity to pawns even when already infected. So it does help, but only if you give it to them right away. After a while the immunity will just be above that what peno would raise it to.

Also if you let them take peno really infrequently they still start with a higher starting immunity. Basically if they take it often they are immune and the disease will never show up in their health tab. If they take it rarely they will just bounce around somewhere between 50% and 100% and once they get infected they will take the current value and that will be their starting immunity.

I think the wiki covers this.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Vlad0mi3r

I only give it to my best 2-3 medics everyone else in the hospital bed and sleep it off.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503