Corpse Decay and skeletal fear tech

Started by Damien Hart, May 08, 2014, 12:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damien Hart

As it is currently, corpses decay a little, and then somehow manage to be eternally preserved half decayed. I've seen a lot of talk about incinerators and the like, but I'd like to see them decay through several stages, causing varying psychological effects throughout the process.

I think with the 100 hp a corpse has, about 15 lost per day seems a decent amount - about a week to decay fully. Probaly nowhere near a realistic amount of time, but remember you just made an entire hi-tech base out of scrap metal, so...

Anyway, the first stage would obviously be the fresh corpse. 100-86 hp, so the first 24hrs. pretty negligible happiness penalty, minor fear increase, but nothing really worth worrying about. This is the point at which you want to shift it somewhere away from your colonists, before it stinks up the place.

The next stage is when it starts to rot. 85-56 hp. It stinks, it looks nasty, and the colonists hate it. Moderate penalty on happiness, moderate fear increase.

Stage three is when it gets really nasty - it's bloating, the bugs are chowing down, and it's absolutely noxious. This is 55-0 hp. Big happiness penalty, moderate fear increase.

If scavenger/predatory animals are implemented, they could feed on the corpse to expedite the process.

Once it hits 0, the corpse is replaced with a skeleton, which can be used for fear tech.

Like this for example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hnwiirrfc2z9ohd/2013-03-31_00002.jpg

To that end, it would be cool if raiders suffered penalties from fear tech, say an accuracy penalty, which could be negated by certain personality traits once those come into use. Also, your superstitious tribal enemies are going to be more affected than pirates and the like, who probably decorate their base similarly, whereas more civilised factions (outlander towns etc.) would sit somewhere in between.

tbrass

Other civilized factions may not be afraid of fear tech... but they ought to be repulsed by it. Should be a negative to your reputation.

Otherwise, great ideas!

Coenmcj

There's been a considerable push for additional fear tech, I suppose because it's so effective with it having no debuffs at all.

I reckon corpse decay on it's own is a good idea, adds to the immersion, and more fear tech is more than welcome in my books.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

StorymasterQ

Hmm, maybe Fear should somehow raise the loyalty threshold. Something like you'll need more and more fear to keep colonists loyal.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Damien Hart

I definitely like the idea of fear tech affecting relations, even more so if it affects relations more if the corpse of someone from a specific faction is used,  and then a visitor from that faction encounters it. Not to mention that would also be cool for affecting hostile morale.

As far as why more fear tech, I can't speak for most people but I like it more for the fact that it allows the morality choices you'll typically not find in strategy games, that are usually reserved for RPG's like Fable and the like. More ways to play are never a bad thing; and being the bad guy is so much more fun.

In terms of happiness/fear and the loyalty threshold, I always thought the two should be mutually exclusive, set on a scale where 0 is in the center, and essentially symbolises total disillusionment, -100 is terrified, while +100 is ecstatic. There would need to be some sort of time delay in how long it takes someone to begin having a breakdown though, or people could snap while they shift between sides of the scale.

sparda666

having hp determine decay might be weird if you are accustomed to throwing grenades at corpses

Coenmcj

Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Untrustedlife

So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Damien Hart

Quote from: sparda666 on May 09, 2014, 11:06:13 AM
having hp determine decay might be weird if you are accustomed to throwing grenades at corpses

I reckon corpses ought to be turned into chunky soup if hit directly by a grenade ;D With an appropriately huge happiness penalty of course.

And any that aren't hit directly and catch alight could become a "charred corpse" with the same decay rate, but burning would still speed up the process of turning to a skeleton - possibly a black, charred looking one.

vagineer1

Quote from: Coenmcj on May 08, 2014, 08:43:55 PM
There's been a considerable push for additional fear tech, I suppose because it's so effective with it having no debuffs at all.

I reckon corpse decay on it's own is a good idea, adds to the immersion, and more fear tech is more than welcome in my books.

I gotta say that corpse decay is a great idea. I'd love to see skeletons scattered around my base as remnants of my past battles.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Headshotkill